Best LED for growing corals? **On a Budget**

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get a low budget LES light for my future 29g nano. Wondering if you guys have any suggestions?

I order this one from Amazon:

Not sure if I made the right choice? Would love to hear your guy’s opinions.

Mav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know much about the light but if your staying soft, LPS it should work. If you already ordered it, roll with it!
What are your coral plans?

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know much about the light but if your staying soft, LPS it should work. If you already ordered it, roll with it!
What are your coral plans?
I honestly have no idea, I’m such a noob, lol.

I was hoping to keep an anemone, for my future clownfish pair.

Edit: ^^

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with the light. If i were going budget led though i would go with a standard blackbox led for just a bit more $$$. Just basing that off the description of that light it seems very underpowered. Depending on what you end up putting in there it may be fine. Something with a little more juice gives you more options.

Mav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

^^^I just grabbed this to add to my lighting setup

Blackbox are chinese LED boxes like this They get hung from above

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blackbox is a term we use for chinese or asian made cheap led light.
Popbloom would be a good start.
Oddysea t5 4 bulb with ati bulbs or giessman bulbs as well. Hths
Diy led places will put together a kit if your handy.
-d

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this below is a blackbox. Probably going to have less moisture issues and a ton more power. If you can spend a bit more look for one with two timers built in (one white one blue) or at least 2 separate power cords and you can use external timers for each channel. Again though you dont necessarily need it depending on what coral you put in there.

T5 lights are nice and also affordable, but if you go that route factor in cost of yearly bulb replacement as the spectrum shifts as the bulbs age.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... ok. The ones mentioned above are around $20 more than the one I ordered. I can’t really spend more money right now... should I just go for the one that is coming my way?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... ok. The ones mentioned above are around $20 more than the one I ordered. I can’t really spend more money right now... should I just go for the one that is coming my way?

If thay the top of your budget i would say so. Going to be hard to get cheaper than that. Just research what you put in there to make sure it is not something that demands high par

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn't have to be a rich man's game. You can do some simple corals with the light you have. I do recommend sitting aside a little from every check, 10-15 dollars, (if you can), and saving up for a better quality light. Next to water quality, your lights are the next most important factor in coral growth.

Start slow, research and learn before you make any big changes or additions to your tank, and you'll be fine! Btw, welcome to R2R!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20210323_221948.png
    20210323_221948.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks a lot guys!

Light should be coming in him tomorrow sometime. (I may end up hanging it from the ceiling, because it looks awesome ;Hilarious)

If you guys want to be my progress, be sure to checkout my journal: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/29g-nano-build.821548/ :)

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light you got says it has around 90 PAR at 12” of depth (I’m assuming that’s with it mounted above the tank using the arms and not hung from the ceiling). I’m sure that’s in the absolute center, so the sides and front and back will be lower, plus your tank is deeper than 12”. That said, I would imagine you could keep low light softies (and maybe a few select lps) on the sand bed (or that low), and then some medium light (most other softies, but not all, and a good amount of lps) at half way up from the bottom or higher (so make sure to get enough rock to stack high enough to have options for coral placement). The good thing about this light is that it’s inexpensive and so you won’t be out much if you use it for the time being and then upgrade down the road once you’ve gotten your feet wet with some beginner corals.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back