Best LED lighting for 72x18x22 125 gallon

s550

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been lurking for a while now but made the decision to finally join. I am in the midst of planning out my 125g tank. I've decided I want to go with LED's due to controllability, heat, reliability and functionality. My question is what's the best LED fixture for the size of my tank that wont cost a cubillion dollars!! What I've slowly noticed is ill probably need multiple fixtures aka $$$$$. Is this the reality of going with a big tank?:(

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two 34" AquaticLife XSUV on my IM 120. I recently replaced these with 3 Maxspect Ethereal's. Nice lights, really good coverage and the corals seem to agree!

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at sbreeflights. People have been getting good results and they are more affordable than some others. I just got in my 2 32" extremes for the 180 build I'm doing.

Unfortunately on a 6 ft tank, you likely will be looking at a minimum of 2 fixtures for good coverage, possibly more. If you go with the puck style (radion style) that are around 16 or 18", expect 2'x2' coverage, so likely 3 fixtures minimum.

6 ft tanks are awesome, but they are more expensive

OP
OP
s550

s550

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I've been expecting. I will take a look at the lights mentioned above. Price wise I don't mind spending a few bucks for something decent but everyone has there limit right? I was really liking the write up of the Kessil LED's but in order to get the coverage I need id be looking at like $1000+ minimum. It should also be noted I intend to run a Softy tank with a nice spread of fish and inverts/clean up crew with a 40g sump, reefoctopus 200 skimmer and the rest is still in the works.

OP
OP
s550

s550

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay here are my takes on the units so far.
AquaticLife XSUV- website was shoty with me. Also doesn't carry the 34" anymore? Too expensive to move up to there bigger size to achieve desired coverage.
Maxspect Ethereal- carried by BRS who I have a ton of respect for but same standard issue I am running in to, cost. Id have to buy 3 which =$$$$$$;Hurting
sbreeflights- website works terrible for me lol, what I could fine was again going to cost an arm and leg.

Conclusion: I am noticing an unfavorable trend here. My real question should be what am I realistically looking at, cost wise, for good coverage of a 72" tank...lets not beat a round the bush. The truth hurts, man!

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that long of a tank, you are realistically looking at over $1000 for any LED you buy new.

GHL Mitras LX7 x 3 = $2250
Kessil AP700 x 2 = $1800
AI Hydra26HD x 4 = $1400
ReefBreeders Photon 32 x 2 = $1100
SBReefLights Extreme 32 x 2 = $900

And that's before you start buying mounting options.

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran two kessil 360s on my 125. They grew softies and LPS fine. I have since upgraded to a 5' 120 and run 3 360s. I now have some SPS. They have good polyp extension and are growing. This tank has only been running for a little over a month so I don't know how the SPS will do long term. What I like about the kessils is the color and the fact that it is easy to add more if I need more without redoing my whole lighting system.

OP
OP
s550

s550

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you guys for your input, I am considering the kessil 360's for now but that comes with its own set of specific questions. it seems answering one question only raises more!

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm in the same boat! What is everyone running with a tank of this size?

What are the benefits of AI hydras over sbreef?

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 Kessil 360 WE's on my 90g (48" tank) and didnt have much luck with SPS. Everything else grew great. I've since upgraded to 2 Mitras 7206's and notice an improvement in SPS growth. I also like the look better. In spite of loving the metal halide flicker, I found the effect of the Kessils to be a bit too dramatic, albeit much nicer than any disco ball effect of other LEDs. The Mitras are a softer look with no disco effect and a MUCH better spread.

Trevor Cameron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I know this is an older thread but I need to upgrade my lights now. I have a 125 mixed reef and I want to start adding more acros to my tank. I was thinking about 3 hydra 26's or 3 kessil A360 or 3 radion xr15's. They all produce about 90 watts of light and all get great reviews. Marine Depot has some Euroquatics Angels on clearance. They are 150 watts with wifi controllability and looks pretty good. I don't know this brand so if anyone knows it please chime in. They are currently $325 per light plus another 15% off making then about $277 per light.
https://www.marinedepot.com/Euroqua...xtures-Euroquatics-5U05906-FILTFILDTN-vi.html

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think 3 kessils are enough for that tank. 2 of them weren’t on my 90g.

Last edited:

budau18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil, hydra, raidions. All good bets. The last light I have no idea. As far as kessil I have two of them on a 110 deep and no issues so they grow just fine many people have a love hate for them. However as stated all three have proven to grow coral so get what you like best in terms of price control look shimmer etc.

Jose B Sanchez Jr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran two kessil 360s on my 125. They grew softies and LPS fine. I have since upgraded to a 5' 120 and run 3 360s. I now have some SPS. They have good polyp extension and are growing. This tank has only been running for a little over a month so I don't know how the SPS will do long term. What I like about the kessils is the color and the fact that it is easy to add more if I need more without redoing my whole lighting system.
Hi Lynn how are the sps growing no? Also what are the dimensions of your tank. I have a 100 gallon 60x24x18 im getting ready to set up. Thanks for the input
SB Reef lights

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to go SB/Chinese or hand over a mortgage payment for LED.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm still planning out things for a 6ft long tank I have on order. I definitely go back and forth but options kinda have summed into 3 categories, for me at least:
  1. (3x) Black Boxes - Either Mars Aqua (~$330 total) or Reef Breeders (~$750 total, though that starts looking expensive for a black box)
  2. (2x) Reef Breeder 32" Photon V2's - This is what I am leaning towards now but want to make sure they don't separate colors too much (~$1100)
  3. Pony up $1500 - $3000 to buy the "right lights" the first time. - Definitely don't want to do this as I want to believe buying the brand name swag isn't required for good results. However, if this is the best or only way to be successful whenever I eventually go to SPS, I don't want to find out the hard way. Honest, if this does end up being the best idea, I will likely buy BB lights until I go SPS.
But again, above is subjective. While I like flashy cool equipment, I focus on functionality and, in the case of lighting, safety as paramount. I don't want this hobby to consume my finances so I'm considering all the options.

Good luck on your choice!

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just saying, a 60" ATI Sunpower is $600.

Being a complete newb, I'm very prone to be wrong/uneducated, but for me personally (and I suspect maybe for OP) the recurring costs of replacing the T5 bulbs and the heat output is what's keeping me looking at LED's.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back