Best led out there please help

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No money option... two orphek icon compacts or two radion xr 15 + two kessil a360we(orphek/radion will cover led actinics here and kessil for the natural shimmer)
slightly lower.....4 bulb t5 ati blue plus + 2 kessil a360x(kessil controlling actinics/ led color here and shimmer, t5 for light output, would probably go with the 36" personally so I could mount the 2 kessil angled in)
other options....2 radion pro or blue depending on how you like the color (i have to admit color rendition is pretty crazy with these they even make yellow acro pop and truly look yellow and not green) ok shimmer nothing to really be too impressed there
2 orphek icon compact- more of a flat t5 look and whiter then radion,

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The best LED ranked:

1) ATI Straton - Not even a close second place currently. These have a T5 look with no shimmer. It's what I run and it grows coral very well.

2) Orphek Icon - I am getting ready to purchase these, but I haven't personally used this one. Everyone that uses these has excellent results and this new version just came out and seems to be very nice.

3) Ecotech Radion G5 Pro or Blue - Radions have always been excellent lights and there are many successful reef tanks running these. Have to be very careful with the intensity as they are very powerful.

4) Kessil - I have owned every Kessil made except the AP9X, which is basically two 360x's combined. I just had a brand new A500X which is super powerful, but can bleach coral fast. Kessils are the best looking LED out there for shimmer. They also grow coral very well.

The closest thing to Metal Halide and T5 (Still the best lighting for Reef) is the ATI Straton. It is made by THE T5 company that everyone bases their spectrum results on.

Reef breeders and all the others are good lights and you can be successful with them for sure.

The only one I would stay away from is the Neptune Sky. It has the worst spectrum of any LED I have ever seen.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want the best leds out there for a mixed reef. Money isn’t an option just want to buy the best and be done with it. Radions, hydras, primes, photons, orphek, kessil what should I get and why? I have a 125 gallon tank. Thanks!!
imo get the philips coralcare gen 2 or the neptune light that meleev's reef has, they are diffuse light which IMO is better than the discoball LED style.

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want the best leds out there for a mixed reef. Money isn’t an option just want to buy the best and be done with it. Radions, hydras, primes, photons, orphek, kessil what should I get and why? I have a 125 gallon tank. Thanks!!
The radion lights are amazing. I have used the G3s and G4s but I absolutely hate using ecosmart live. It is an incredibly frustrating experience every time I set up new lights. The good news is I have little trouble after the initial set up. Pretty much just set the schedule my corals and I like and never touch it again lol

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have primes, kessil ap700 and orphek atlantic.
For your 125 I think you can rule out primes, as the others will give better coverage.
1. Kessils are bright and close to a point source which gives the shimmer but also more shadows. The ap700 has 2 matrices, which creates a Hotspot between the 2.
2. Orphek Atlantic provides more uniform coverage by placing the led array on a plane, rather than a point. There is a clear plastic shield on the orphek that is bright to look at. The orphek weighs 3x the ap700.
I have all my lights mounted from the ceiling.

OP
OP
Bama41Georgia24

Bama41Georgia24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have primes, kessil ap700 and orphek atlantic.
For your 125 I think you can rule out primes, as the others will give better coverage.
1. Kessils are bright and close to a point source which gives the shimmer but also more shadows. The ap700 has 2 matrices, which creates a Hotspot between the 2.
2. Orphek Atlantic provides more uniform coverage by placing the led array on a plane, rather than a point. There is a clear plastic shield on the orphek that is bright to look at. The orphek weighs 3x the ap700.
I have all my lights mounted from the ceiling.
Thank you so much for the info all of this will help me in my search

OP
OP
Bama41Georgia24

Bama41Georgia24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best LED ranked:

1) ATI Straton - Not even a close second place currently. These have a T5 look with no shimmer. It's what I run and it grows coral very well.

2) Orphek Icon - I am getting ready to purchase these, but I haven't personally used this one. Everyone that uses these has excellent results and this new version just came out and seems to be very nice.

3) Ecotech Radion G5 Pro or Blue - Radions have always been excellent lights and there are many successful reef tanks running these. Have to be very careful with the intensity as they are very powerful.

4) Kessil - I have owned every Kessil made except the AP9X, which is basically two 360x's combined. I just had a brand new A500X which is super powerful, but can bleach coral fast. Kessils are the best looking LED out there for shimmer. They also grow coral very well.

The closest thing to Metal Halide and T5 (Still the best lighting for Reef) is the ATI Straton. It is made by THE T5 company that everyone bases their spectrum results on.

Reef breeders and all the others are good lights and you can be successful with them for sure.

The only one I would stay away from is the Neptune Sky. It has the worst spectrum of any LED I have ever seen.
Wow thank you so much this will help me a lot!

OP
OP
Bama41Georgia24

Bama41Georgia24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No money option... two orphek icon compacts or two radion xr 15 + two kessil a360we(orphek/radion will cover led actinics here and kessil for the natural shimmer)
slightly lower.....4 bulb t5 ati blue plus + 2 kessil a360x(kessil controlling actinics/ led color here and shimmer, t5 for light output, would probably go with the 36" personally so I could mount the 2 kessil angled in)
other options....2 radion pro or blue depending on how you like the color (i have to admit color rendition is pretty crazy with these they even make yellow acro pop and truly look yellow and not green) ok shimmer nothing to really be too impressed there
Thank you so much I never thought about getting two different brand lights for the same tank I’m intrigued

OP
OP
Bama41Georgia24

Bama41Georgia24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried a lot of lights and I have to say the ATI straton gets my vote. You’d want 3 for a standard 125. I also like kessil but you’d want many for are larger tank.
How many 360s would I need on a 6foot tank? It’s got the 2 cross braces so the tank is divided into 3 2ft sections

OP
OP
Bama41Georgia24

Bama41Georgia24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great info thank you. So if I wanted to go with the first option how would you recommend I place them? It’s a 6ft tank with the two support braces so there’s 3 2’ sections

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is great info thank you. So if I wanted to go with the first option how would you recommend I place them? It’s a 6ft tank with the two support braces so there’s 3 2’ sections
Here is a thread with the Stratons over a longer tank. First post on first page.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very much want to know more about those reefi leds, especially from past radion owners. They seem pretty comparable but i want to know if they actually have the same pop as those new radion lights

OP
OP
Bama41Georgia24

Bama41Georgia24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a thread with the Stratons over a longer tank. First post on first page.

Thank you!

OP
OP
Bama41Georgia24

Bama41Georgia24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running AI Hydras of various sizes. My next tank will be ReeFi Unos. I have 8 ready to go. No more AI.. The spread is very subpar.
Never heard of the reefi but they look quality do you have more information or experience on them?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money isn't an option, take a look at the Giesseman Futura-S

Garia666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS recently started using solartronics.
The lights slowly turn in an angle to even the lighting.
They can also be combined with master, Alka, dose tronics and can adjust the light intensity based up on your water peremiters.

I have no personal experience with these and they are pretty expensive

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back