Best LFS in DFW for Fish

SlipStream007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,
I would like to get opinions from you local reefers as to who you think offers the consistently healthiest saltwater fish in DFW.
I've traveled around the metroplex but have had a hard time finding consistency when it comes to healthy fish offered to the public.
One of the closest LFS's to my location is Dallas North Aquarium but I am very unhappy with the consistently diseased, dying or dead fish in their tanks. And it has not been just a couple fish occasionally; it's generally a good percentage that are in ill health. On top of offering species that should in most circumstances not be offered to the public, such as Moorish Idols.

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also in the Dallas area. I've been to most around me and learned a system. I go to Dallas North Aquarium cause they offer great prices on corals and have a great selection but you're right their fish are in terrible shape so I never buy fish from them. I go to Apex aquarium for most of my fish and haven't had a single issue or a dead/sick fish in any of their tanks. The owner is very knowledgeable too. Besides that Exotic aquatics is a mixed bag and the same with Fish Gallery except I dislike the owner there. I highly suggest Apex right off 75 and royal ln.

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with Dallas North, but I can't argue with others observations. I just try and be very very picky if I choose something there. I bought a sailfin tang from them, he was a little skinny when I bought him, but he's starting to put on some weight. The big benefit with them is they normally have a big selection. I'm over on the fort worth side so there is not much over here close. Mid-Cities is ok (their cleanliness is the turn off for me), they used to have quality problems with their fish. Used to always see something dead or with some type of health problem, but last couple times that hasn't been the case. Fish2morow used to be my go to place (took me 2 minutes to get there), but they had some management changes and it definitely was not the same. Might be time to re-visit to see if there's been some positive change. Franks Tanks is awesome, always have a good experience there. I've heard they re did their fish system.

OP
OP
S

SlipStream007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Tallison, it's a shame because DNC has so much potential with their facility.

Apex is one of my go to spots but recently the fish selection seemed slim. Could have just been an off day.

But the people working at Apex are great and what I have bought from has all survived and been healthy.

I'm sure I'll keep checking back in with them for more fish.

Oh BTW, I've been picking up quite a few corals from WWC lately. Great prices, great people and even better coral selection!

I've had mixed luck with exotic too. The last time I went there was good amount of sick and dead fish like DNC.

I had fish gallery do a 300g quote for me and it was way above other quotes I received but that's all of the experience I've had with them.

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Tallison, it's a shame because DNC has so much potential with their facility.

Apex is one of my go to spots but recently the fish selection seemed slim. Could have just been an off day.

But the people working at Apex are great and what I have bought from has all survived and been healthy.

I'm sure I'll keep checking back in with them for more fish.

Oh BTW, I've been picking up quite a few corals from WWC lately. Great prices, great people and even better coral selection!

I've had mixed luck with exotic too. The last time I went there was good amount of sick and dead fish like DNC.

I had fish gallery do a 300g quote for me and it was way above other quotes I received but that's all of the experience I've had with them.
Yeah they definitely have a slim selection but I went in yesterday and he mentioned they were getting more stock this weekend so you may want to try next week.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started purchasing my fish from Frank's Tanks. In SW FW. Store is always clean, staff (esp Frank) is always friendly and I have rarely seen dead fish in the tank.
I believe he does run copper in the fish system, he will gladly tell you his procedure for incoming fish and I have found it more than others do.
Bit of a haul if your in Dallas, but worth a stop if you have the time.

OP
OP
S

SlipStream007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Shameless! I was looking at fish2morrow reviews a few weeks ago and there seems to be multiple people complaining about the new management.

Thank you for the Frank's Tanks recommendation. I heard about them awhile ago but forgot about them. I'll need to go check them out soon!

Do you know if Franks bag the fish with O2? I know not all stores do. I live in Rockwall and don't want to stress the fish from the 1.5-2hr drive.

OP
OP
S

SlipStream007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Cmcoker! Glad to see a second on Frank's. I'll gladly make the drive if they have a healthy selection.

It's a shame to see so many LFS's slacking and not wanting to practice what they preach.

I'm crossing my fingers for Frank's now! [emoji16]

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started purchasing my fish from Frank's Tanks. In SW FW. Store is always clean, staff (esp Frank) is always friendly and I have rarely seen dead fish in the tank.
I believe he does run copper in the fish system, he will gladly tell you his procedure for incoming fish and I have found it more than others do.
Bit of a haul if your in Dallas, but worth a stop if you have the time.
Heard nothing but great things about them. Unfortunately it's a little bit of a trek

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Shameless! I was looking at fish2morrow reviews a few weeks ago and there seems to be multiple people complaining about the new management.

Thank you for the Frank's Tanks recommendation. I heard about them awhile ago but forgot about them. I'll need to go check them out soon!

Do you know if Franks bag the fish with O2? I know not all stores do. I live in Rockwall and don't want to stress the fish from the 1.5-2hr drive.

I don't know off the top of my head, but I would assume so, most stores do these days.

And if yall do make a trip down there send me a PM, if my schedule allows I'll meet ya down there!

OP
OP
S

SlipStream007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely up for carpooling to Fort Worth to go check out Frank's but probably won't be available until the 1st of the year with the holidays and all.

Ditto on needed help or frag swaps. I've got multiple monipora and a Hollywood stunner chalice growing like weeds that I need to frag out.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frank's usually got the basic fish in stock, clowns, tangs, blennies, etc. Might call if you are looking for something special, and don't forget to ask if he has anything in the troughs, sometimes he has anthias and stuff in there being dewormed.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back