Best light for a 40 gallon tank

Hatohimikana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new to the hobby and dont know much about the lighting or rather what is the best budget light for a 40 gallon tank. Or make 2 budget lights for 20 gallon. I've been on a search on the market and came across viparspectra 165w, nicrew hyperreef 30w, and phlizon 165w. I was wondering if any of you guys have tried any of these lights and if you recommend any other light. I was leaning more towards the viparspectra but the phlizon is much cheaper and outputs the same wattage and specs. thank you!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Viparspectra is a good light. I'd assume the Phlizon is as well if it's really 165 watts. The Hyperreef 30w is OK for fish and could do OK (but marginal) for a shallow tank (12" deep). You could also google Mars Aqua which is also a good fixture.

Given a shallow tank (10g to 20g and 12" deep) almost any light can do easy corals. A 40 breeder is deeper and needs a better light, especially if you are going to do more than zoas and leather corals.

Buying the stronger fixture using 3 watt leds will be something you can still use on a 20" or 24" deep tank. The fixtures that use 0.3 to 0.6 watt leds are OK for fish only but useless IMHO, for any coral tank more than 12" to 16" deep.

OP
OP
Hatohimikana

Hatohimikana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Viparspectra is a good light. I'd assume the Phlizon is as well if it's really 165 watts. The Hyperreef 30w is OK for fish and could do OK (but marginal) for a shallow tank (12" deep). You could also google Mars Aqua which is also a good fixture.

Given a shallow tank (10g to 20g and 12" deep) almost any light can do easy corals. A 40 breeder is deeper and needs a better light, especially if you are going to do more than zoas and leather corals.

Buying the stronger fixture using 3 watt leds will be something you can still use on a 20" or 24" deep tank. The fixtures that use 0.3 to 0.6 watt leds are OK for fish only but useless IMHO, for any coral tank more than 12" to 16" deep.
I was looking for more of a budget light maybe $150 at most. My 40 gallon tank is 36Lx18Wx17W, so it isnt that deep. I will buy both the viparspectra and the phlizon to see which one performs best and I'll let you know if youd like. Thank you for the information!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for more of a budget light maybe $150 at most. My 40 gallon tank is 36Lx18Wx17W, so it isnt that deep. I will buy both the viparspectra and the phlizon to see which one performs best and I'll let you know if youd like. Thank you for the information!
I would appreciate hearing which one you like. Being a member of the Reef Squad, I try to keep up, but new brands keep popping up all the time!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back