Best light for mangroves?

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really a macro algea question, but....Whats a good light for mangroves? Full spectrum? Or red spectrum like for macros? I have a lagoon tank I built and it has a mangrove island. Looking for the most efficient lighting for it.
20210323_182427.jpg

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked out your thread. I have thought of something similar, but would want to tie it to my 300 gallon somehow. Maybe some day. I actually have 170 gallon tub I used to cure rock in an then held a bunch of fish I won in a raffle for 6 months out side while I got my tank set up.

OP
OP
whitelightning77

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked out your thread. I have thought of something similar, but would want to tie it to my 300 gallon somehow. Maybe some day. I actually have 170 gallon tub I used to cure rock in an then held a bunch of fish I won in a raffle for 6 months out side while I got my tank set up.
Yea its something I've been wanting to do for a while. I have the space for it now and just jumped in head first before my common sense kicked in.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Best light" would be outdoors in a greenhouse. (I wish I had one!)

I don't know to much about the options of available growing light fixtures and there application to provide a strong recommendation. I do know that I can grow chaeto well with an inexpensive 6000K (5000K?) low wattage LED bulb from the hardware store. I do wonder how much algae you will grow in the tank as a result of putting a grow lamp over the mangroves? I would presume you will need a light you can move as the trees grow.

OP
OP
whitelightning77

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Best light" would be outdoors in a greenhouse. (I wish I had one!)

I don't know to much about the options of available growing light fixtures and there application to provide a strong recommendation. I do know that I can grow chaeto well with an inexpensive 6000K (5000K?) low wattage LED bulb from the hardware store. I do wonder how much algae you will grow in the tank as a result of putting a grow lamp over the mangroves? I would presume you will need a light you can move as the trees grow.
It would be suspended from above, so moving it higher would not be an issue.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good success so far with a 36w Sensi LED full spectrum grow light bulb. Not sure the exact PAR numbers, but I plan to borrow a meter at some point to test it. I also think the full spectrum LEDs look nicer than the red blue combos on grow lights. Add some decorative macroalgae to help compete with unwanted algae and that will appreciate the light is my suggestion.

Back