Best light for optimum coral growth

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently looking to get a light for my 45 gallon tank that will be a show tank in our foyer. That being said I would like to hear y’all’s ideas and opinions on which lights make the corals look and grow the best!

Paranoiattack91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you want to grow, how much you want to spend, electricity costs and heat. In my opinion the absolute best is a hybrid of T5s and LED. However, I do not run that setup because I have an enclosed canopy and don't want to run the risk of having to run a chiller because of the heat T5s put off. I live in Ca and it gets over 100 in the summers and sometime my Ac struggles to keep the house cool. On my new build I will just be running Radion LEDs. On my last tank I ran Reefbreeder LEDs and was really pleased with them for the cost.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes depends on your budget.? There ar3 cheaper options that do a good job. But if you watch brs lighting it gives you a good comparison. I have a 60x60x55cm tank Waterbox 70.2 and have a radion xr15 G5 pro light and is perfect for my tank. So would say it would be more than enough for a 45g. Very easy to setup and change

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunlight for sure!

Most modern high powered fixtures will grow coral perfectly fine. People like the more expensive fixtures for the bells and whistles, not because they grow coral better. If your looking to spend some money go check out the reefi leds. They are awesome

OP
OP
TrevorL

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for anything under $200 I would say. Sorry I forgot to add that to the initial post.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently looking to get a light for my 45 gallon tank that will be a show tank in our foyer. That being said I would like to hear y’all’s ideas and opinions on which lights make the corals look and grow the best!
Metal halide and T5 combo for anything you wan to grow, period!

OP
OP
TrevorL

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you want to grow, how much you want to spend, electricity costs and heat. In my opinion the absolute best is a hybrid of T5s and LED. However, I do not run that setup because I have an enclosed canopy and don't want to run the risk of having to run a chiller because of the heat T5s put off. I live in Ca and it gets over 100 in the summers and sometime my Ac struggles to keep the house cool. On my new build I will just be running Radion LEDs. On my last tank I ran Reefbreeder LEDs and was really pleased with them for the cost.
I’m looking to mainly grow euphyllia in the tank as well as a split of my anemone

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 200$ max most lights that fit your requests for functionality is gonna be kinda tuff. Maybe a Chineese black box. I would save a little more money and then get a good light that will fulfill all your needs.. The light on your tank is pretty important so waiting a little longer till you have the funds might be the best bet.

OP
OP
TrevorL

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 200$ max most lights that fit your requests for functionality is gonna be kinda tuff. Maybe a Chineese black box. I would save a little more money and then get a good light that will fulfill all your needs.. The light on your tank is pretty important so waiting a little longer till you have the funds might be the best bet.
I can probably go over $200 I do have funds for that at the moment I was just thinking about water cost and rock to get it all going at first

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Kessil 160 or 360 would work great and grow all kinds of corals especially the 360. Ive had 160's and 360's on my tank and they work just fine.
20210102_125001.jpg

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly im not a scientist or coral farmer expert but i can share my exp.

My 1st light was a oddysea 4 bulb t5 i replaced the bulbs with ati. Grussienan is another bulb option.

Next i did 3 par 38 bulbs over a 20long high up. Ebay seller scalped my pic to sell bulbs. Lol.

Led was just coming out. Led has come a long way. Ill skip some...

My current light will be a 8 bulb tek t5 light.

Led gives great shimmer effect and they are really starting to hit and touch all the wavelengths.

Also no bulb changes. T5s you should change the bulbs to avoid change in wavelength color. As the bulbs age they dim i guess...idk.
Hope that sheds some light. Most are concerned about par #s these days. Let me tell you. If you think its bright. It probably is.
D

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Kessil 160 or 360 would work great and grow all kinds of corals especially the 360. Ive had 160's and 360's on my tank and they work just fine.
20210102_125001.jpg
Curious, I recently purchased a 360we, how high do you run yours throughout the day? I was concerned at 80-100% that it may be too intense. I have lps, zoas and sps frags.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, I recently purchased a 360we, how high do you run yours throughout the day? I was concerned at 80-100% that it may be too intense. I have lps, zoas and sps frags.
I run all my 360's (5 of them) at 100% intensity from 10am to 1030pm the whole time they are on.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back