Best lighting for 3 foot or 40 gallon tank

KadeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m new to the hobby. I’m looking to buy a good middle of the road light for my tank. I’m wanting to grow corals. I’m also looking for one that can mount to the tank or cabinet as I rent and don’t want to wall or roof hang. Any suggestions would help. Many thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Look into Orphek OR3-90 and OR3-120 strips
They’re excellent

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!

Lighting questions like these will get 100 different answers. I strongly suggest you do a bunch of research based on what types of corals you intend to keep, along with a budget in mind (don't forget to include mounts in your budget!).

For example, if you're going to keep zoas and other softies, you don't need 350 PAR across your tank, like you would for SPS.

There are a lot of YouTube videos out there that specifically talk about different lights and what you can expect from each of them. Lots of lights offer so many bells and whistles, it's a little overwhelming.

Having said that, on my small 40g tank, which we are converting from mixed to a softie tank, I'm running a ReefBreeder light. Works great and easy on the wallet. On my 120g, I have 4 Radion XR15 Pro G5's, but that tank is a mixed reef with SPS that need the light.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you wanting LEDs for sure?

Looks like a couple votes for Reefbreeders. I would have guessed that 2 AI Primes would be the most popular recommendation.
Besides AI, the other 2 best selling brands for major manufacturers are Kessil and Ecotech.

A 4-6 bulb T5 fixture would be another easy option.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef breeders photon v2+. Has tank mount legs. Ramping features. As much or as little intensity as you could want

This ^

I have them over all of my tanks including a 40 breeder I use for a frag tank. The results speak for themselves:
IMG_3173.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back