Best lighting for a 6 gallon zoa pico?

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with the ai prime 16 HD. I got a decent deal on one second hand from a local reefer. My major deciding factors were the future proofing (who knows what I will want to use it for in the long term) and the controllability (it is much nicer than a kessil in that regard--- I have a kessil a360we on another system). It's probably overkill, but I like that it can be controlled with no other hardware.

Now that said, what color profiles do you guys run to make the zoas really pop?

I have another tank that I keep at 10-14k-ish (closer to daylight) but in this tank I really want to make my rocks look like they are covered in fluorescent Skittles. People can make fun of me for having a tank full of Windex. This is my fun zoa nano.

I had a waterbox 10 about the same size with a prime 16 and ran royal blue (the darker one) and violet at 45%, other blue 35% 12 hrs, red/green 3% (5-6 hrs), uv 10% (5/6 hrs) and whites for only about 4 hours at like 5%. The look youre looking for i would run in the evening. Just royal blue, violet and the other blue still on where they have been all day. Then the last hour or so just the royal blue (and violet if you want)

I started at 25% and raised it in about 5% increments btw.

That was color profile, now for your question on pop... reefbrites lol.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with the ai prime 16 HD. I got a decent deal on one second hand from a local reefer. My major deciding factors were the future proofing (who knows what I will want to use it for in the long term) and the controllability (it is much nicer than a kessil in that regard--- I have a kessil a360we on another system). It's probably overkill, but I like that it can be controlled with no other hardware.

Now that said, what color profiles do you guys run to make the zoas really pop?

I have another tank that I keep at 10-14k-ish (closer to daylight) but in this tank I really want to make my rocks look like they are covered in fluorescent Skittles. People can make fun of me for having a tank full of Windex. This is my fun zoa nano.
I would suggest starting with the BRS AB+ settings and adjust the white channel up or down to meet your visual tastes. Just set the light to on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours with 30-60 minute ramps up and down. That's about as easy as it gets.

They also have a GREAT video that discusses mounting height and intensity settings for that light on a wide variety of tank sizes, including nano tanks. I'd recommend watching it twice. They don't test on a tank exactly like yours, but there is enough information to get you up and running and in the ballpark... Until you get a hold of a PAR meter and dial it in specific to your needs. ;)

Seriously. Watch it twice from start to finish.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest starting with the BRS AB+ settings and adjust the white channel up or down to meet your visual tastes. Just set the light to on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours with 30-60 minute ramps up and down. That's about as easy as it gets.

They also have a GREAT video that discusses mounting height and intensity settings for that light on a wide variety of tank sizes, including nano tanks. I'd recommend watching it twice. They don't test on a tank exactly like yours, but there is enough information to get you up and running and in the ballpark... Until you get a hold of a PAR meter and dial it in specific to your needs. ;)

Seriously. Watch it twice from start to finish.

I actually also have a 6 gallon and I'm using a $30 - 60 (depending on where you buy it) LED bar and 3 8w t5 bulbs and its working quite well so far.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd run one of the Par 21 blue bulbs. People seem to have very decent results with them.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd run one of the Par 21 blue bulbs. People seem to have very decent results with them.
The t5 bulbs were cheaper and I wanted an even spread in general

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back