Best lighting for a broad variety of macroalgaes?

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m switching from corals to macroalgaes.
I’m finding limited information on what lights are good for a wide variety of macros (reds and greens). Will plant lights work? Or should I use refugium lighting? What is YOUR favorite light for macroalgaes?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't change the intensity or spectrum of your lighting; if you increase the reds and greens, you'll encourage nuiscance microalgal growth, which will be hard to deal with unless you bolster your CUC crew...which will then eat your desirable macro. Using "grow" lights meant for terrestrial plants is simply not a good idea for the marine aquarium.

Many popular species of macro available in the aquarium trade, like halymenia, tolerates lower lighting conditions, so you can put those in shadier locations. Bind them to rocks if they don't have holdfasts.

OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't change the intensity or spectrum of your lighting; if you increase the reds and greens, you'll encourage nuiscance microalgal growth, which will be hard to deal with unless you bolster your CUC crew...which will then eat your desirable macro. Using "grow" lights meant for terrestrial plants is simply not a good idea for the marine aquarium.

Many popular species of macro available in the aquarium trade, like halymenia, tolerates lower lighting conditions, so you can put those in shadier locations. Bind them to rocks if they don't have holdfasts.
Thank you very much! What light in particular do you suggest for macroalgae?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much! What light in particular do you suggest for macroalgae?
I don't have any tanks that prioritize macro growth, so most of my lighting consists of AI Primes. In other words, I light for coral, and not macro. Most species tolerate a wide variety of lighting conditions, and will adapt to the situation.

I should note, however, that my best growth is in an old RSM250 with broken lighting; one of the ballasts is broken, and only three (sometimes four) of the T5s now light up.

Ichtha_yo Stuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From growing Macros and Mangroves my experience has been they prefer whiter 6500k lighting that is used primarily used in planted tanks. You can add in blues and some reds to highlight particular specials sush as Dragons Breath which fluorosis under blue light. If you already have a light just turn down the blues and turn up the whites. If you’re looking to set up a macro algae specific tank then go for a freshwater light. Many of the big names in salt water and freshwater equivalent lights. Though they are typically more expensive than say a freshwater light that you could get on Amazon. Here is a picture of the mangroves and some Dragon’s breath that I have been growing. I got a small piece of this in April. As you can see the mangroves are quite healthy and the macroalgae is growing quickly. The tank has two lights on it. One AA prime and one plant light that I got on Amazon.

image.jpg
image.jpg

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, I’m switching from corals to macroalgaes.
I’m finding limited information on what lights are good for a wide variety of macros (reds and greens). Will plant lights work? Or should I use refugium lighting? What is YOUR favorite light for macroalgaes?
Kessils work great for macroalgae growth- What type of lights do you currently have? -Raven

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 60 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back