Best Lighting for growing corals in a 15 gallon nano tank? also on a budget of $100

Clowny1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to purchase the best Lighting for growing corals in a 15 gallon Nano tank on a budget of $100.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there are any lights for $100 that would be a good option. Cheapest option is black box lighting

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im thinking the jbj 15 gallon rimless
Ok, basically lighting close to a foot by foot area. That’s relatively easy.

This light is what I use when I QT/treat anemones. It works great with the optional timer. It is not super flashy or name brand, but does work well. Mine is over a year old and no issues.

There is also the option of getting a used AI prime or kessil a160. Plus tons of other cheap lights out there that work.

OP
OP
Clowny1221

Clowny1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, basically lighting close to a foot by foot area. That’s relatively easy.

This light is what I use when I QT/treat anemones. It works great with the optional timer. It is not super flashy or name brand, but does work well. Mine is over a year old and no issues.

There is also the option of getting a used AI prime or kessil a160. Plus tons of other cheap lights out there that work.

Thanks! That’s awesome. I was also considering a Fluval sea nano led. Would that be okay for good coral growth for SPS AND LPS?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval and the 30w nicrew probably won't grow SPS

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No crew does have a 50w, but that gets close to ai prime pricing.

The bad thing with lighting becomes opinion. Most lights will grow corals. Some better than others.

It is usually better to go with a good light in the beginning, but it is not always needed.

As mentioned above, a par 38 bulb in a bulb holder will work. Plenty of people use them on sps picos and they do great.

Your tank choice will only be about 12” deep at most when figuring in sand, unless you go bare bottom. You just have to place high light corals up high and closer to the center of the light.

Budget tanks can be done and done well. The biggest thing will be stability. Make sure you keep things stable, add an ATO, and stock the tank accordingly.

You don’t have to be like me and others with an a360x over a 14 biocube or a radion over a 10g Fiji cube tank. Those lights will never see 100% intensity over those tanks.

willieboy240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1620751313203.png
I’ve been using this one on my frag tank for years. It’s great.

OP
OP
Clowny1221

Clowny1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No crew does have a 50w, but that gets close to ai prime pricing.

The bad thing with lighting becomes opinion. Most lights will grow corals. Some better than others.

It is usually better to go with a good light in the beginning, but it is not always needed.

As mentioned above, a par 38 bulb in a bulb holder will work. Plenty of people use them on sps picos and they do great.

Your tank choice will only be about 12” deep at most when figuring in sand, unless you go bare bottom. You just have to place high light corals up high and closer to the center of the light.

Budget tanks can be done and done well. The biggest thing will be stability. Make sure you keep things stable, add an ATO, and stock the tank accordingly.

You don’t have to be like me and others with an a360x over a 14 biocube or a radion over a 10g Fiji cube tank. Those lights will never see 100% intensity over those tanks.
Thank you for the great advice! Really appreciate it ;)

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1620751313203.png
I’ve been using this one on my frag tank for years. It’s great.

I second this suggestion. Hipargero has done me very well when I was on a tight college kid budget. They will grow dang near anything in a 15-gallon tank. I had mine over a 29 biocube and it was growing acros at the top of the water column. I have seen shops down by me also using these instead of Radion, Kessil, etc and they're doing fantastic. Your other option is to wait and pounce on a good deal for an AI Prime on here. I saw one yesterday for $120 with a bracket.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is the par 38 bulb I mentioned. These things are beyond reasonable priced.

last time I bought one it was 75$ under 40$ now and they do grow coral.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back