Best lighting for IM Nuvo 40(not long)

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my upgrade tank and decided on the Nuvo 40 (not long). Dimensions are Length 23.62” Width: 19.68” Height: 18.89”. Wondering if anyone had suggestions regarding light!

Something cheaper is fine because I will be only having soft corals, and will be housing Liopropoma basslets in the tank, which prefer less intense light. I prefer a more natural lighting for my tank.
Thanks! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my upgrade tank and decided on the Nuvo 40 (not long). Dimensions are Length 23.62” Width: 19.68” Height: 18.89”. Wondering if anyone had suggestions regarding light!

Something cheaper is fine because I will be only having soft corals, and will be housing Liopropoma basslets in the tank, which prefer less intense light. I prefer a more natural lighting for my tank.

Fine recommendations above. Now I know, nobody likes hearing this but it’s just the truth. There is no best. There will only be the product for your unique situation that best balances your budget and expectations of the light.

As with most things in life, when seeking recommendations, the majority you will receive will be the very item they have personally settled on. Best example of this (here in Texas anyway) is to ask everyone in the work place what the best pickup truck is to buy. People will feverishly defend their purchase. THEIR choice is the best, and others are innately bad. End of story. I try to avoid that when giving recommendations. I rarely even recommend what I personally use.

Best in class for led (on paper anyway, I’ve not used one) I’d probably have to give the nod to the reef fi uno pro. Based on width of spectrum, housing design and quality of materials, warranty, and the fact that the designer and builder is easily accessible, an active sps growing hobbyist who regularly shares his tank (unlike some of the big name old school light gurus that sell their products and make lots of videos). Other notable mentions for quality and track record would be any of the Orphek products, GHL mitras, and ecotech radion.

These are high dollar options, probably not necessary for growing soft coral. There are literally hundreds of options in the less expensive market that are honestly all going to work about the same if you apply them appropriately. There is no best among the cheap options. I’d honestly pick what has the easiest mounting solution.

Then of course the t5ho and metal halide users have their own arguments as well for why their choice is best.

Wish I could be more specific. But most people generally like what they’ve settled on. Pick a tank you love, and buy whatever light they are using.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@noopsyche light would be great. You can adjust the lights. Down the line you decide to get SPS, it will have the par to handle them
Will check it out!
Fine recommendations above. Now I know, nobody likes hearing this but it’s just the truth. There is no best. There will only be the product for your unique situation that best balances your budget and expectations of the light.

As with most things in life, when seeking recommendations, the majority you will receive will be the very item they have personally settled on. Best example of this (here in Texas anyway) is to ask everyone in the work place what the best pickup truck is to buy. People will feverishly defend their purchase. THEIR choice is the best, and others are innately bad. End of story. I try to avoid that when giving recommendations. I rarely even recommend what I personally use.

Best in class for led (on paper anyway, I’ve not used one) I’d probably have to give the nod to the reef fi uno pro. Based on width of spectrum, housing design and quality of materials, warranty, and the fact that the designer and builder is easily accessible, an active sps growing hobbyist who regularly shares his tank (unlike some of the big name old school light gurus that sell their products and make lots of videos). Other notable mentions for quality and track record would be any of the Orphek products, GHL mitras, and ecotech radion.

These are high dollar options, probably not necessary for growing soft coral. There are literally hundreds of options in the less expensive market that are honestly all going to work about the same if you apply them appropriately. There is no best among the cheap options. I’d honestly pick what has the easiest mounting solution.

Then of course the t5ho and metal halide users have their own arguments as well for why their choice is best.

Wish I could be more specific. But most people generally like what they’ve settled on. Pick a tank you love, and buy whatever light they are using.
Haha, I know no light is “best” just wanted some recommendations is all! Thanks for the suggestions!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

@noopsyche lights are inexpensive and great lights. The K7 Pro III is rated for 24"*24" so 1 would work quite well for you. Get with @Zach B , he's the new US Distributor.

Also, they're running a giveaway for one on their website.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you end up selecting a light? I bought the same tank a month back and plan on using the new AI Blade(s). Got tired of the glare of the lights on my previous tank and I am running Current USA Orbits on my little 10 gallon that was my quarantine tank, but is now my coral holding tank until I get the 40 set up. Just love staring at that tank and not having the light glare from my previous lights. It’s almost like having a hood and just seeing the light within the tank.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up selecting a light? I bought the same tank a month back and plan on using the new AI Blade(s). Got tired of the glare of the lights on my previous tank and I am running Current USA Orbits on my little 10 gallon that was my quarantine tank, but is now my coral holding tank until I get the 40 set up. Just love staring at that tank and not having the light glare from my previous lights. It’s almost like having a hood and just seeing the light within the tank.
IMG_20230423_182306928_MP.jpg

Here's my IM SR80 with a single blade grow. I had 2 radions on this tank and hated the light spill and glare. Problem solved and they look really clean.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the current USA orbit marine for it and love it. I don’t like the disco effect of most “high end” lights so the cheap one is just fine for me!

Attachments

• 9F67AA5F-BF2A-46E6-84CE-CE3BF85DF74A.jpeg
    9F67AA5F-BF2A-46E6-84CE-CE3BF85DF74A.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 3E84F6DF-06A3-46EA-A147-E22CD4D1F4CE.jpeg
    3E84F6DF-06A3-46EA-A147-E22CD4D1F4CE.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 30

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back