Best lighting on the market? Is there one?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck to the yes!!! Waiting on reflector and digital ballast for new testing. Last magnetic all in one wasn't impressive.
Thought they couldn't run on magnetic.. Some square wave nonsense.
Anyways the growth curve here is in competition to LEDs since they require new ballasts, new sockets.
Retrofitting an industry has the same err "catch" as retrofitting with LED.

Better spectrum, longer life, less energy usage/output.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the 315 stuff is on clearance lol. The hort guys laughed at them like they do 400s. Gavita or nothing for them. Only thing holding up the reef guys from using them was the lack of bulbs. Now there is a 10k bulb, and the equipment is dirt cheap. Digital dimming ballasts for $100, socket $15, reflector under 200.

Turd Ferguson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metal Halide with T5 supplements is ideal. Growth, colour, ease of use.

Second choice would be ATI T5 fixture, 6-8 bulb.

Aside from Orphek, can’t say I’m pressed with what LED fixtures are on the market. Reef Brites seem decent tho...

BlackGoldReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a friend who’s about to drop 1,400 on a t5 light fixture with 2 Kessil A360X. I feel like that’s soooo much for money for just those 3 things. He says that’s what’s the best in the market.

I’m just wondering if he was lead the wrong way? Are there better lights for the same price or less? Is he making the best choice? I gotta look out for my fellow reefer so I’m wondering what you all think.

Is there something better? What’s your all’s perspective. He mainly has zoas and mushrooms. Some encrusting corals. Oh and a few anemones. For a 125g long tank
I am in the same boat as your friend. I have researched lighting for well over 6 months and have reach out to numerous coral farms. I have came to the conclusion the T5 Hybrid is the way to go. I am ordering them in stages just because of the costs. My hybrid fixture gets here tomorrow and over the next two months I’ll add 3 XR 15’s gen 5 blues over my 125 gallon. I would highly suggest telling your friend to rent a par meter and expect to spend some time fine tuning the spacing. Don’t just wing it on the LEDS app. You can destroyed colonies quickly with to much power. Hope this helps.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am in the same boat as your friend. I have researched lighting for well over 6 months and have reach out to numerous coral farms. I have came to the conclusion the T5 Hybrid is the way to go. I am ordering them in stages just because of the costs. My hybrid fixture gets here tomorrow and over the next two months I’ll add 3 XR 15’s gen 5 blues over my 125 gallon. I would highly suggest telling your friend to rent a par meter and expect to spend some time fine tuning the spacing. Don’t just wing it on the LEDS app. You can destroyed colonies quickly with to much power. Hope this helps.
Have you checked out the pop bloom LEDs? It’s the most par for the $$ .
I love mine!!

Scubatricky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have experiences dancing for rain. I don't.

We are talking about results from hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people for more than 3 decades. We are talking about facts of physics shared in this forum, and from serious hobbyists in the past years around the globe. Some serious coral farmers! The guy who introduced LEDs in this hobby brings lots of facts about the subject too! People that actually have experiences with all types of lighting, including LEDs, but care about their results, and not about saving electricity, for example. People who know better.
We are NOT talking about those who bought their LEDs and need to convince themselves they invested in the best lighting just because they spend so much money to get those and that has to be the best no matter what! Or those who never saw nor had any experiences with halides and want to defend their LED fixtures just because. Not talking about those newbies that had been told that if those "YouTube channels" and "the best stores" are using, then that is officially the best. Not to mention those who love to bring some graphics to prove others wrong, but never actually had any experiences with reef tanks at all. Yes, we have that here too!
Please do your search about the subject and find out yourself!
Science should be the way to prove what we see happening in the first place, not isolate PAR as the main lighting subject or definition of good/bad lighting.

Your comparison shows how much you want to know about facts.
I don't think anyone here wants to dance for rains. They just want to have the best reef tank they could and IMO halides + T5s will get them more than half way there!

If we just lay our opinions here and stop trying to prove stuff against each other this thread could be better. My opinion won't change. I just want share the truth, also shared by many others. Are we all wrong? Did you even try?

If you like your LEDs please keep them. I'm sure you must be very happy with your results. I'm fine with that. Enjoy your tank. If one day you change for halides, you can come back here and thank me for saying that. I'm humble enough to be very happy for you. Many did that before and we are all friends.

Post your opinions in this thread and just have fun, because that is what this thread should be actually for!
You seem to have massive confusion between opinion that is cited repeatedly, and scientific evidence. Correlation is not causation.

Unfortunately when there is no empirical and scientific evidence to be produced, and simply opinion based on observation you can appear to be a little bit 'cultist'.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might get hate mail on this. 90g mixed reef 4 years. Stocked with shrooms, blastos, euphyllias, zoas, chalices. Two six inch clams. Under maxspect Razor plus a Current orbit pro led both running four years. This tank will NOT grow SPS, montis, setosas period. I think these lights great for what I have.

My QT is a 29g biocube. Cut off the top leaving perfect hole for Wills Dimmable aquarium light from Amazon. 80$ shipped. Running 18 mos. Growing setosa and monti. Will try acro soon. My 90 will need two units. Yours three for 240$. Plug into its own gfci plug. Really like this light.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The most unscientific verse ever uttered...

Every time I dance, it rains. Therefore my dancing makes it rain.

My experience is that dancing makes it rain...therefore that is a fact, and you cannot argue with it
perhaps if you were dancing in the rainy season that would be a fact.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had T5, Halide and LEDs over 25 plus years. My preference by far is LEDs for growth and power savings. Reefbreeders is a very reasonable option, but programming is not up to par with some of the other options.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to have massive confusion between opinion that is cited repeatedly, and scientific evidence. Correlation is not causation.

Unfortunately when there is no empirical and scientific evidence to be produced, and simply opinion based on observation you can appear to be a little bit 'cultist'.
Worse is to use science to back up inexperience.
Be "happy" with your LEDs, man!

Scubatricky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worse is to use science to back up inexperience.
Be "happy" with your LEDs, man!
I'm more than happy with the mixed lighting system in use on my tank. None of which is based on science or inexperience.

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My profuse apologies to the OP if I put this thread into a bit of a power drift going around this curve,

I understand the angst topics like this can cause. I don't even have a pickup truck. I do, however, have a Harley. It serves my purposes well, too. I also built some Suzukis in the past, a GS-1000 and a GS-750E (from scratch, a road rocket...). I still like my Harley, now that I remember that I'm still mortal. I also like my '76 Kubota L245DT, but I live on a small farm so it comes in mighty handy.
Some folks mistake these threads as a big-bucks bass tournament and drop the lures off the back of the boat, if you "catch" my "drift". ;)
I read, and even understand some things about physics (although the new stuff on travel faster than light speed is just now sinking in...) and photons being photons (h/t to Dana!) and the reactions some aquatic lifeforms have to some of these photon-thingies. Lotsa research papers out there to read and not nearly enough time...
I'm on the forum to get ideas from other reefkeepers and hopefully provide some insight into what went into my decision matrix for my current reef while preventing some problems for folks here that haven't been keeping aquatic critters for a number of, uh, um, decades, to pick up a few ideas themselves for success.

Background: This 300 gallon reef is a 360' walk around viewable from all sides. The reef itself is built from the visible back left corner to the right front corner, with another pillar on the back right corner. Lots of caves and arches formed by rock and coral. When making decisions about things like lighting, filtration, food, cooling, heating, and all that, we should make the decisions on our individual circumstances and requirements.
9RTHJaL.jpg

The view from the left end:
rldgLZk.jpg

I needed a lighting solution that provided the following, and it took me a while to get there:
1. Could provide enough light to support acropora under 27" of water without overpowering the planned top of the reef, but down the entire length of the reef as well. So I needed kind of a uniform PAR all the down, within, say 100-150 PAR.
2. Able to keep the temperature in the living within reasonable limits without buying the executive staff of the local power company a fleet of new limousines (they have a enough already, frankly) with my summer air conditioning bill. This also goes in the category of maintaining a good relationship with my significant other.
3. Able to run off of an average 15amp circuit in the house, something the six(!) 250W metal halides (@2amp per ballast) I converted from had difficulty doing if anything else was plugged into the circuit and switched on.
4. Gotta look pretty good - highly subjective from somebody that spent a major portion of their life floating with a mask and snorkel...
So, I began my LED journey. I went through a few iterations and even some DIY to get to what I wanted, and ended up with an array of moderately inexpensive ViparSpectra to provide the smooth, broad coverage meeting minimal lighting requirements 27" down. I removed the stock lenses and affixed a dispersion panel (95% transmissivity) to increase the light spread. I'm running at about 250 PAR across the entire bottom of the aquarium at about 50% across blue and white channels. The top of the reef sees about 350-400 PAR across the length and width.
The array supports zooxanthellae down there, and the coral grows quickly and well -
eA57zqJ.jpg

wBz30WT.jpg

xby5Yin.jpg

AZIt0tx.jpg

gXqncWL.jpg

I supplement these with an array of six Kessil A360WEs - a more expensive option, but this covered two bases. They made things "look good" by providing that extra kick of point-source lighting that produces the "glitter lines" under water. They also add another 150 or so PAR during the "high noon" part of the day, about five hours mid-day an extra dose of photons is chucked into the vat. I think many of my longer-limbed acros really appreciate this and tend to stretch out a bit more toward the surface. The shorter-branched varieties tend to pull in their outer polyps to lower the surface area exposed.

I hope this helps the OP a bit in their decision, or perhaps anyone else that doesn't doze off while reading it.

Cheers,
Ray:cool:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more than happy with the mixed lighting system in use on my tank. None of which is based on science or inexperience.
You never get tired... enjoy your light.
It's your tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back