Best lighting on the market? Is there one?

f.christian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a friend who’s about to drop 1,400 on a t5 light fixture with 2 Kessil A360X. I feel like that’s soooo much for money for just those 3 things. He says that’s what’s the best in the market.

I’m just wondering if he was lead the wrong way? Are there better lights for the same price or less? Is he making the best choice? I gotta look out for my fellow reefer so I’m wondering what you all think.

Is there something better? What’s your all’s perspective. He mainly has zoas and mushrooms. Some encrusting corals. Oh and a few anemones. For a 125g long tank

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a friend who’s about to drop 1,400 on a t5 light fixture with 2 Kessil A360X. I feel like that’s soooo much for money for just those 3 things. He says that’s what’s the best in the market.

I’m just wondering if he was lead the wrong way? Are there better lights for the same price or less? Is he making the best choice? I gotta look out for my fellow reefer so I’m wondering what you all think.

Is there something better? What’s your all’s perspective. He mainly has zoas and mushrooms. Some encrusting corals. Oh and a few anemones. For a 125g long tank
Yes, there is:

M E T A L
H A L I D E S
+
T5
The very best!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used that combo on my last tank, I loved the color, growth could of been better for sps but I also could of been a better reefer. I needed more flow as well.
A6269DA9-E3CE-4BF6-B3AF-5B07138CC44D.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Might have been.

Check this out

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Define “best”.
If all you care about is growth and health of the corals MH+T5’s, in my opinion, still reigns supreme.
All light sources have their pros and cons. The best light is dependent on your wants, needs and application.
I think most people would define "best" as "better growth and healthier corals". Define that? What we find in the ocean as the ultimate example to be followed. Halides also helps to produce the true pigmentation of the corals, like in the ocean under the sun. Metal halide is the only artificial light that gave me the very best of all together, safely. If you add T5s, you can enjoy the "sky light" mode of the natural reef when the halide goes off... The whole system gets very healthy and thriving with profusely growth!!!! It's the only light that really impresses anyone in the world! Even the fish look healthier showing their colors better!

My second choice, for shallower systems, would be an ATI T5 only system. The colors are amazing and it offers everything for the best colony formation, filling out all the gaps!!

LEDs were terrible in terms of supplying my normal expectations! The only think LEDs are unique in my point of view is to produce that "artificial looking" blue pop, but I actually prefer the pop from ATI Blu Plus, as for a more natural look of a dawn/dusk that happens in the ocean, so...

Bottom line is... if you wish to reproduce what you see in the ocean there is absolutely no other combo than a good metal halide system with T5s as supplementation. Quality above all, at all price, to get the optimal results in that category!

In reality threads like this are just a way to have fun and allow people to express their personal preferences!
Let's have fun!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were those sun pods or sun lights? They are basically like a sky light in your house roof with hvac tubing and everything lol. Harness the power of the sun and turn on your tan light above your tank. Aka metal halides. Lol.
Really ive read about people wanting to use these.
D

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were those sun pods or sun lights? They are basically like a sky light in your house roof with hvac tubing and everything lol. Harness the power of the sun and turn on your tan light above your tank. Aka metal halides. Lol.
D

Solatubes

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 125g long tank
If it's a standard 6' long 125, 2 Kessils aren't going to cover very well. Somewhere in the 18-24" diameter is their coverage. I would want 3, along with the T5 Hybrid, if I were going that route. 3 Kessil 360s (Wide angle) + four 5 ftT5 bulbs would be excellent for a 125.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D
Metal halides have nothing to do with the sun. Not sure why this myth is perpetuated , but I could post spectral graphs of the sun vs halides vs broad spectrum LEDs and the LEDs would be way closer to the sun than halide. Reef halides are just narrow chops of spectrum.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never said they did. I was talking about the sun lights. The tanning lights have been refered too from the halides back in the 90s. I never did halides but ive heard good things despite the big heavy ballast and heat.
D

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think there's a "best" light when it comes to lighting a reef. All of the modern LED's will provide the right spectrum, but it's their format or form that will decide how you implement them with your particular tank/set up. I used metal halides exclusively in the 90's up until the early 2000's, then after a break in the hobby, I returned only using LED's and have been extremely happy with them. There are plenty of reefers out there with all of the major types of lighting that have stellar tanks, but lighting is only one factor in keeping a reef. I love my Kessil's and with the new 500x that just came out, it's really getting close to being a metal halide in LED form.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metal halides have nothing to do with the sun. Not sure why this myth is perpetuated , but I could post spectral graphs of the sun vs halides vs broad spectrum LEDs and the LEDs would be way closer to the sun than halide. Reef halides are just narrow chops of spectrum.
When you compare a system lit by the sun and a system lit by metal halides you just can't tell much difference! That doesn't happen with other types of lighting. Results don't lie.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back