Best Live Sand Substrate

LoneWolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to set up new Solana want to know what people are using for substrate and why???

Thanks

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would not waste my time buying the "live" sand. Just get some dry sand and get a lfs or local reefer to trade you a cup of sand to seed it. :)

NVTE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not waste my time buying the "live" sand. Just get some dry sand and get a lfs or local reefer to trade you a cup of sand to seed it. :)
1+
New sand is best. I used some Ocean Direct sugar sized sand for my new frag tank. look clean than my old sand.

Sr5_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed once more, just use some dry sand and seed it with a reefer's sand and let it cycle out.
I used all new sand when i moved and set my tank back up.

OP
OP
L

LoneWolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was planning on using "new" sand .... something similar to Arag-Alive unless there is a better substitute... planning on letting new tank cycle for at least a month depending on levels... hoping to get some cured LR from Local Reef Store...

Thanks in Advance
Rich

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well you don't need the sand that says live and has water in it. It's kinda like snake oil if you know what I mean.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use the same sand fickle, just not the live. With my Vortechs wide open the sand stays put. :D

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like getting the dry sand and get a couple of lbs from tampa to seed it. I have crazy pod growth. They seem to be everywhere when the lights are off.

OP
OP
L

LoneWolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raptor do you mean Tampabay Saltwater??? Have you bought rock from them???

SeaSlug

Hooked On Reef Tanks
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed..........There is nothing live about baged sand , buy dry sand and rince it well , then seed , even if you don't have a source for a cup form a mature tank it will become live sand in short order .

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Dry sand Caribe Sea bermuda pink 2-5mm its very nice

starfish

Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caribsea spec. grade reef is a great size. Just set up a 17 cube with it and I really like it. Does not drift in current. Looks nice. I usually use the Fiji Pink. Personal preferance dry or live. I prefer the "live" its clean. Dry is awfully dusty and hard to rinse and the cheaper it is the worse. Last time I priced between caribsea dry and live there was not much differance where I live between the two to warrant all that rinsing!! But each to his own. I also use extra bacteria to help jump start the cycling process which usually takes just under 3-4 wks. Or recycled tank water from a friends tank if you are lucky. Good Luck with the tank.

MSU Fan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ +1. That is what I used in my biocube 29g. Works great, handles the flow from 2 Kor1s, 1 kor nano, and the rio 6HF return.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back