Best low cost light for Macro display

forgiven1973

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to setup a 40g breeder as a macro display tank within the next month or so. Was curious what lighting would be good yet cost friendly? Also how much flow or what pumps be efficient enough? I’m new to macro never even running cheato and have a algae scrubber on my main display tank.

Fisker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert with macros, but have some experience with common species.

With lighting, it depends on what kind of macros you're focusing on - most greens will be from shallower waters, and will look and grow best under daylight-ish lighting (think freshwater planted tank lights, or around 6500K). Most reds are from slightly deeper waters, and do a bit better with more blue lighting (around 10000K). Browns kinda fall in the with the green macros, so you'd want some daylight lighting with maybe some actinics for the blue sheen that some of them get. I recommend you look into either a LED fixture made for a freshwater planted tank, DIY yourself a fixture, or look into a T5 fixture and just make use of mainly 6500-10000K bulbs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's what I'd do.

For flow, I think you'll usually want as much flow on a macro as you can get without causing them to fall apart. My dragon's breath was growing quite a bit when it was a few inches in front of my Koralia 425 in a 10 gallon, but it ended up falling apart due to the flow. I'd say shoot for relatively swift flow across the entire tank, and try your best to avoid dead spots.

Detritus and mulm will build up on most macros, and you'll have to do your best to keep them clean - having higher flow will help with that.

acbaldwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap chinese black box is good for $100 new/$50 used. Also had great luck with CREE par38 LEDs from home depot, although you won't get the same color as you would with blue LEDs, especially on blue scroll, blue ochtodes, blue hypnea, and Halymenia sp.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think @FishOfHex is using some very inexpensive LEDs (different types on 2 different systems, I think one of em is running 4 Home Depot LEDs IIRC). Both tanks seem to grow cheato like mad. Like Fisker said, it's about what you want to do with it and how cheap you're looking to go.

Might want to take down the algae scrubber (or at least reduce the 'on' time) if you're wanting to get a lot of growth from the macro. They're pretty efficient at stripping nutrients.

OP
OP
F

forgiven1973

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok looking at switching things up a bit. I got back into the hobby and December and have a mixed reef started that’s doing pretty well but I have thought of switching over to a macro tank with a few corals and a couple bta. It is a 60 gallon cube corner overflow and I currently have two MP10s for flow with return and a360we tuna blue kessil. Would the kessil be good enough light for a macro and to cover the 60g cube?

Currently have a fire shrimp and two nice frostbite clowns. What other recommendations for livestock with these?

acbaldwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the A360we will be plenty. If you're going with a macro heavy tank you might consider things that are more challenging to keep in a pristine reef tank - pipefish, dragonettes, certain wrasses, etc. The natural macros and microorganisms that go along with them will provide food options that aren't usually present/abundant in a reef tank.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the A360we will be plenty. If you're going with a macro heavy tank you might consider things that are more challenging to keep in a pristine reef tank - pipefish, dragonettes, certain wrasses, etc. The natural macros and microorganisms that go along with them will provide food options that aren't usually present/abundant in a reef tank.
How do pipefish do in the moderate-high flow needed in a macro tank?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back