Best Macro Algea for Yellow Tang

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this Tang in my 90 gal for about 6 months and has been very healthy and doing fine aside from being a little skittish. I have lots of rocks and he is the dominant fish in a somewhat lightly stocked tank. About 2 weeks ago he stopped eating. He is the last fish I stocked and no changes have been recently made. I have tried a variety of meaty foods and frozen veggie foods and he will not consume anything. He was eating brine and nori previously. I am hoping to find a macro algae that he will graze on throughout the day as I am running out of ideas. Thanks for any and all replies.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang eats like a hog but her favorite food seems to be patagonian red shrimp, I buy it frozen from Costco and I chop it up into little pieces and she goes crazy. Also she seems to prefer purple (laver) algae over the others which I get from Brineshrimpdirect, they actually have a mixed bag with Sea Lettuce, Dulse, and Laver.... A tang not eating is not a good thing, I hope you find something he likes.

OP
OP
Darren in Tacoma

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. We bought some live sea lettuce and live brine shrimp and hoping he will go for one of them.

OP
OP
Darren in Tacoma

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazingly our Tang started eating again yesterday. He didn't go for the live brine and I have not seen him munching on the sea lettuce, but I'll be danged if we didn't see him eating frozen brine with all the other fish 2 days in a row. I am really stunned as he went for so long without eating, I was prepared to find him dead any day now. Super happy and I will just keep some macro algae in the display from now on.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back