Best Macro to control pH?

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please recommend a macro for my refugium area in the sump that will help me control pH (opposite my photoperiod) but also be easy to maintain and not go sexual and bomb my tank? Also, how do you adequately light your 'fuge in a way that doesn't cause 'light spill' that causes algae to grow in the skimmer body or other undesirable areas?

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't found a reverse lit refugium to make any difference in nightly PH swings.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size matters/light intensity matters. To dampen out pH fluctuations in display requires algae filter 50% of display and intense lighting in refugium.

Healthy IndoPacific reefs fluctuate between 8.2 & 7.8. Low oxygen is much more detrimental than low pH.

OP
OP
Rovert

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size matters/light intensity matters. To dampen out pH fluctuations in display requires algae filter 50% of display and intense lighting in refugium.

Healthy IndoPacific reefs fluctuate between 8.2 & 7.8. Low oxygen is much more detrimental than low pH.
Since there's no way I can manage an amount of algae 50% the size of my display, I suppose the best I can hope for is a bit of buffering. I struggle with pH, averaging a low of 7.9 through just north of 8 during photoperiod. Would like to bump that up if possible. Might try to recirc the air from the CO2 reactor to the skimmer and see what happens.

Thanks!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since there's no way I can manage an amount of algae 50% the size of my display, I suppose the best I can hope for is a bit of buffering. I struggle with pH, averaging a low of 7.9 through just north of 8 during photoperiod. Would like to bump that up if possible. Might try to recirc the air from the CO2 reactor to the skimmer and see what happens.

Thanks!
In 51 years of Reefing, I have found alkalinity to be much more important than pH. In fact, I add carbon dioxide to calcium reactor for alkalinity demand. Consider more gas exchange either with cascading water into sump, air stone in sump and/or robust circulation at surface of display tank.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might try to recirc the air from the CO2 reactor to the skimmer and see what happens.
That is what I would do. Just be sure to have a drain valve at the bottom or tied to another container, as skimmate will gradually get sucked out of the collection cup and move into the reactor. I keep my co2 media suspended about 4” above the reactors bottom. This helps prevent the media from hardening and blocking the airway.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back