Best Magnesium test kit 2019 : We're switching brands!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Your go-to Mag test?

• Salifert

Votes: 69 47.9%
  • Red Sea

Votes: 44 30.6%
  • API

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nyos

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Aquaforest

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Other (share with us!)

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don't test Magnesium

Votes: 13 9.0%

• Total voters

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS @Bulk Reef Supply

I mentioned this in your calcium thread, but I think a video about proper syringe use would be soooo helpful to most people. Knowing to use the plunger, not the liquid, for reference and WHY would be great little tip.

Its one of those overlooked things that would help quite a lot.

I think you mention one of your 5 testers isn't necessarily a seasoned reef keeper... perhaps that's why some of their tests are so far off?

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i love these videos, and just at the time when i'm reviewing all my test kits. Are you going to continue with these videos for other test kits as well, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, PH, etc?

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS @Bulk Reef Supply

I mentioned this in your calcium thread, but I think a video about proper syringe use would be soooo helpful to most people. Knowing to use the plunger, not the liquid, for reference and WHY would be great little tip.

I completely agree. I think this is the leading cause of most testing errors

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you mention one of your 5 testers isn't necessarily a seasoned reef keeper... perhaps that's why some of their tests are so far off?

Definitely some value in explaining how those things work! Early on I had the same learning curve for testing. I think we've mentioned how to read them properly in a few videos here and there, but hopefully we can find a place for quick little tips & tricks type videos where this would fit perfectly. :)

i love these videos, and just at the time when i'm reviewing all my test kits. Are you going to continue with these videos for other test kits as well, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, PH, etc?

I'm sure we plan to do similar test kit analysis for Nitrate and Phosphate, like the BRStv Investigates we did for Alk/Ca/Mg...then circle back and give our Best Of stamp of approval! ;)

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys keep saying the aquaforest test kits have paper instructions. Take one and dunk it in water, or try and tear off a corner and you'll see that it's not paper. It's a printed polymer sheet.

Gotta do the whole series over again! ;Jawdrop

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another good video. Once again, I have to note that you're relying on the flawed results of your original test kit comparison. As several people commented in that thread, accuracy can't be determined simply by looking at the average of several people's tests, and even the variability/consistency wasn't really done properly. Like you said in this video, though, Mg is much less critical in terms of the absolute value.

I do think you are being a bit too nit picky on some of the issues, though. Every test will have a bit of a learning curve. As long as it's reasonably easy to learn, what matters is how easy it is to get consistent, accurate results after you've learned the test.

I used to use the Red Sea test. I always had good luck with it, but I found the 1 drop every 15 seconds x5 to be kind of annoying. I switched to the salifert primarily because it's easier to do.

I second @smartwater101's suggestion of doing a video on proper technique - dropper, syringe, etc, maybe even showing some examples of how results can be skewed by doing things incorrectly. Like you mentioned in the video, it does matter.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back