Best material to DIY sump cover (budget friendly)

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having some issues with humidity and high heat in my stand where the sump is located. The stand is waterproofed (to an extant) but there’s electronics in there. I’m planning on installing 2-3 fans in there but want to cover up the sump as well. What material that is preferably budget friendly and easily cuttable (?). So far I’ve seen acrylic and corrugated plastic. What works best for you guys and what thickness. I wanted to make it pretty form fitting but with multiple pieces where I can attach some hinges for easy access in a single chamber.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PVC board is route able

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure corrugated plastic pretty durable. Acrylic will slightly warp with exposure to water. I’d try the plastic as it’s easy to cut and very cheap. If you have a miter saw or table saw and the adhesive, the acrylic will allow you to make a pretty nice cover. Both will work. Good luck!

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What adhesive could I use to attach acrylic hinges to whatever plastic or acrylic I plan on using?

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. Missed your reply. There is a special acrylic adhesive that I bought from the place I got the acrylic. I don’t think you’ll find much for glue for the plastic. I’ve never had much luck glueing plastic together. I bought a plastic screw and nut kit to use specifically on fish stuff-for things like this.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm paying it forward as this was not my personal find, but someone else's on this forum. However, it's exclusively what I use for tank/sump/ATO whatever wet covers. Super rigid, super transparent, stays clean longer than glass or acrylic, insulative, not hard to cut (except you must deal with the open edges sometimes). Readily available at Home Depot.

1610568843143.png

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the corrugated above for all my tank lids (14 freshwater tanks) and I started off gluing clear plastic hinges, then I switched to clear nylon bolts after a couple popped loose. They also make a side slide on trim that will help keep the open ends sealed, it’s like $5 an 8’ length and adds a nice finishing touch. I can get you a pic of one of my lids if you want.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the corrugated above for all my tank lids (14 freshwater tanks) and I started off gluing clear plastic hinges, then I switched to clear nylon bolts after a couple popped loose. They also make a side slide on trim that will help keep the open ends sealed, it’s like $5 an 8’ length and adds a nice finishing touch. I can get you a pic of one of my lids if you want.
Is the trim available at Home Depot or ??? Have a link???

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back