Best online places to purchase fish

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of Biota until I saw your post. I’m currently restarting my tank but will for sure purchase from them in the future. Thanks for the heads up!
They tend to be a bit pricey and shipping is somehow crazy expensive but if you can swing it I would always buy aquacultured fish. You’ll know you aren’t removing them from nature, they are much hardier and much more “at home” in an aquarium. Always had great success with their mandarins and yellow tangs. They have a great selection of “nano” fish too. They are also a great company and are putting sustainable reefing first. With everything going on I’m assuming in a few years the bans will be everywhere due to coral loss. The hobby has to be able to support itself without farming the ocean.

bangia cardinals are a great example. They are endangered and almost gone from the original habitat but are thriving somewhere else due to fish catchers tossing them overboard in a non-native spot. They are prevalent in the hobby due to breeding!

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a counterpoint to this, The supply line of fish is really dirty right now... I've been seeing fish come into all the shops on the West Coast and they look haggard. I have recently commiserated with many other hobbyists who are ordering in fish and the quality has gone down.

Mike at Dr reef does a great job with the, fish, shipping, and any possible complications that may arise after the fact.
I gotta say, we have been fighting nasty stuff too and conditioning these fish is harder than it used to be......having said that, we got the right protocol for nearly everything now and are keeping losses to a minimum. I was just thinking that warmer sea temps are adding to higher disease issues for us to deal with.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta say, we have been fighting nasty stuff too and conditioning these fish is harder than it used to be......having said that, we got the right protocol for nearly everything now and are keeping losses to a minimum. I was just thinking that warmer sea temps are adding to higher disease issues for us to deal with.
Is there any way to tell how long the fish you are ordering in have been staged for? Is there any way to tell what that was a few years ago?

I was recently thinking out loud with somebody else pondering if longer stage times for export is a contributing factor.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to tell how long the fish you are ordering in have been staged for? Is there any way to tell what that was a few years ago?

I was recently thinking out loud with somebody else pondering if longer stage times for export is a contributing factor.
Well Tankstop.com we really wouldn't know how long they have been imported and kept here, but they do go through a really intense acclimation with treatment, and then kept in copper before shipping. Of course they are screened by some of the best eyes in the biz. If you want fully conditioned fish held 30 days or more, use my other site which is Amongthereef.com and you will get the best quality fish offered.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Tankstop.com we really wouldn't know how long they have been imported and kept here, but they do go through a really intense acclimation with treatment, and then kept in copper before shipping. Of course they are screened by some of the best eyes in the biz. If you want fully conditioned fish held 30 days or more, use my other site which is Amongthereef.com and you will get the best quality fish offered.
Awesome fish. I want this guy!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220818-203006_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20220818-203006_Brave.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 45

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipped one this week. All good. These are super solid and well beyond finished with their qt. You’ll see the difference!

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipped one this week. All good. These are super solid and well beyond finished with their qt. You’ll see the difference!
I'm always curious where do you ship from? I try and get animals from inside the state if I buy online

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm buying online, not minding paying more and not willing to QT and just want "good stuff" I would buy from Dr. Reef. Shipping is brutal right now, and shipping seems to go wrong more often than not anymore, so your best bet would be to find a good reef store and ask them to order whatever you are looking for.

A relationship with a LFS is good to have. I buy most of my fish from one place. He holds them for me for 2, 3, 4 weeks, what ever I ask. Lucky I guess but he knows I buy most all from him and have agreed to if prices are right.

This guy quarantined my Gem Tang for a month with out me even paying for it. We have become friends. Its a good thing.

I have never bought a fish on line. I want to see and inspect the fish I am buying.

From what I have read Dr. Reef seems to be the most trusted.

Good luck.

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with other online vendors but

https://drreefsquarantinedfish.com/shop/

I learned my lesson about QT (didn't have one) and got ich from a local shop. 76 days fallow and then I ordered with drreefs.

I placed an order with them for a Royal Gramma, YWG, pistol Shrimp, wrasse, and 3 cardinals. All arrived in great shape. Yeah...it takes a while as they have to get the fish in, complete the QT, then ship them. They kept me informed with emails along the way and I will definitely be ordering with them again once I decide who else will "fit" in my tank.

I understand it's more expensive but I'm willing to pay for that service. Could I have done it at home in my QT ...sure...but I opted to go with a place that specializes in QT fish. Don't regret it one bit.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to +1 the love for Ocean Devotion and Adam. I'm also VERY happy with my quarantined fish purchase from them.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back