Best options for 100+ Gallon tank

562uned

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I'm looking at starting a new larger tank to combine a couple of my smaller systems, and after much research, am still really torn on what I should be buying.

My initial plan was to buy a tank and build a stand but after looking at the prices of tanks it seems like that would actually cost me more than just picking up either a Waterbox or a Reefer G2 and be much more work to get it looking presentable.

I'm looking to spend right around 3k for the tank stand and sump, this lands me at the Waterbox 130.4 or Reefer G2 425. I was really leaning towards the Reefer G2, but Red Sea really seems to have a bad rep after all the issues on the first gen. With this being said the Reefer G2 seems to be the better deal between the two tanks.

I am not opposed still do a custom set up (which is what I wanted to do initially) but it seems all of the tanks I have been looking at really are not less expensive and will be a bunch more work. I would probably get a larger tank if I go custom, the 130 and 425 are right under 100G, but there is something nice about the ready to go systems. I don't want to head down a path where I will be less happy with the end result, I enjoy building things and have a full wood working / metal working area in my garage, so that piece is fine, but I do think the Waterbox and Reefers look nice and seem like a "good" deal (relatively speaking since everything in this hobby does seem over priced lol).

Ok so enough rambling...

My question is, based on your experience, knowing what you know, if you were going to spend 3k to build a new system right now, what would you do?

Thanks!

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into the time it’s going to be in that location and If there will be any upgrades in the near future. If so I would go as big and I can fit and afford and take my time building it the way that would be easier and practical to work with for me

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would avoid waterbox. I have one and although my tank is great the stand was a P.O.S. Waterbox customer service sucks as well. Ive seen threads for redsea tanks getting replaced for minor defects and ive seen threads for waterbox tanks with improper, not completly sealed joints on the tanks and they just say oh no big deal fill it up and we will extend the warranty.

I'm going to go custom build for my future upgrade.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've been brainstorming this myself, i have a 75 on a pre made stand and one of the main things that irritates me to no end is the lack of space inside. I don't have much woodworking skills but i work in a machine shop and could make one heck of a nice 80/20 stuff frame for a stand and then skin it.

i like the idea of getting everything all at once that works well. but the stand would be my big beef.

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I'm looking at starting a new larger tank to combine a couple of my smaller systems, and after much research, am still really torn on what I should be buying.

My initial plan was to buy a tank and build a stand but after looking at the prices of tanks it seems like that would actually cost me more than just picking up either a Waterbox or a Reefer G2 and be much more work to get it looking presentable.

I'm looking to spend right around 3k for the tank stand and sump, this lands me at the Waterbox 130.4 or Reefer G2 425. I was really leaning towards the Reefer G2, but Red Sea really seems to have a bad rep after all the issues on the first gen. With this being said the Reefer G2 seems to be the better deal between the two tanks.

I am not opposed still do a custom set up (which is what I wanted to do initially) but it seems all of the tanks I have been looking at really are not less expensive and will be a bunch more work. I would probably get a larger tank if I go custom, the 130 and 425 are right under 100G, but there is something nice about the ready to go systems. I don't want to head down a path where I will be less happy with the end result, I enjoy building things and have a full wood working / metal working area in my garage, so that piece is fine, but I do think the Waterbox and Reefers look nice and seem like a "good" deal (relatively speaking since everything in this hobby does seem over priced lol).

Ok so enough rambling...

My question is, based on your experience, knowing what you know, if you were going to spend 3k to build a new system right now, what would you do?

Thanks!

I went the custom route myself. Something just feels wrong about paying $400 for a sump that's just a tank with some plastic walls glued in. I also hate the pre-made stands - I have yet to see one that I am fully comfortable putting 1200lbs on.

FWIW I love my innovative marine int 100 tank, though one of those + their stand is probably already approaching your budget

OP
OP

562uned

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are kind of the things I was thinking as well. I really would like to have EVERYTHING under the stand, something that would be hard to do with the pre builds. Anyone used or have any thoughts about https://www.scaquariums.com/ ? These seem reasonable for larger tanks.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to get a tank and stand for 3K, I would not be on board with your Red Sea or Waterbox.

I would spend about 1K on the tank from either SCA, or Glass Cages, or even an Aqueon for much less. That would get you a 4x2x2 120 or 5x2x2 150 or even a 6x2 180 for about a grand or less. That SCA company has a 'deal of the month' on 120 & 150 for about 1K. I would build a sump out of the biggest Aqueon tank that I could get under the display for less than 100 bucks. That would leave you plenty of money for a stand... or even lights or other equipment. The SCA stands are 900 bucks. I would build my own, because I like tall stands.

Anyway, I would buy my tank based on the dimensions that I wanted and not get a complete kit. Lots of people do like the Red Sea and other kits.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to get a tank and stand for 3K, I would not be on board with your Red Sea or Waterbox.

I would spend about 1K on the tank from either SCA, or Glass Cages, or even an Aqueon for much less. That would get you a 4x2x2 120 or 5x2x2 150 or even a 6x2 180 for about a grand or less. That SCA company has a 'deal of the month' on 120 & 150 for about 1K. I would build a sump out of the biggest Aqueon tank that I could get under the display for less than 100 bucks. That would leave you plenty of money for a stand... or even lights or other equipment. The SCA stands are 900 bucks. I would build my own, because I like tall stands.

Anyway, I would buy my tank based on the dimensions that I wanted and not get a complete kit. Lots of people do like the Red Sea and other kits.

Yes. Everytime I've started a new tank it begins by determining the exact dimensions I want which is dictated by where it's going in my house.

Starting the process by deciding which manufacturer first seems backwards.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP

562uned

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the responses!

Based on everyone's feedback, I think the custom route is the way to go.

Why not look for a good used setup? You might find something within a couple hours drive. Custom would be a great idea if you are not too far from the builder, I can only image what shipping cost is these days.

If you are in the Phoenix area, I think you're within about 4 hours of this: https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/for/d/sloan-180-gallon-reef-ready-aquarium/7487063442.html
I reached out to this guy, really nice set up! I'm trying to see If i can make this work logistically ( talking a friend in to spending an entire day driving and doing some heavy lifting haha)

Otherwise, I think the SC aquariums route is the way I will go. I like the 150 they have and they do offer free shipping which is a huge bonus.

Yes. Everytime I've started a new tank it begins by determining the exact dimensions I want which is dictated by where it's going in my house.

Starting the process by deciding which manufacturer first seems backwards.

The wall where this is going has plenty of length, so almost any size tank would work. I'd love a 200+ but I want to stick to that 3K budget for a tank sump and stand.

Appreciate all the feedback!

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the SCA 150 (just the tank) and it's really great, perfectly constructed with no issues. If a 5 foot tank suits your needs I think it can't be beat

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the responses!

Based on everyone's feedback, I think the custom route is the way to go.

I reached out to this guy, really nice set up! I'm trying to see If i can make this work logistically ( talking a friend in to spending an entire day driving and doing some heavy lifting haha)

Otherwise, I think the SC aquariums route is the way I will go. I like the 150 they have and they do offer free shipping which is a huge bonus.

The wall where this is going has plenty of length, so almost any size tank would work. I'd love a 200+ but I want to stick to that 3K budget for a tank sump and stand.

Appreciate all the feedback!
Man, If I was your friend, I'd help you grab it. That is a pretty bad butt setup. :D

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would avoid waterbox. I have one and although my tank is great the stand was a P.O.S. Waterbox customer service sucks as well. Ive seen threads for redsea tanks getting replaced for minor defects and ive seen threads for waterbox tanks with improper, not completly sealed joints on the tanks and they just say oh no big deal fill it up and we will extend the warranty.

I'm going to go custom build for my future upgrade.
I just got a waterbox reef 130.4 about 3 weeks ago.... And it had a bad seam on it so they said they would give me a longer warranty I said no I wanted it replaced.... After fighting with them for 5 days they sent me a new tank I get it tomorrow

OP
OP

562uned

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a waterbox reef 130.4 about 3 weeks ago.... And it had a bad seam on it so they said they would give me a longer warranty I said no I wanted it replaced.... After fighting with them for 5 days they sent me a new tank I get it tomorrow
Crazy that people talk so much bad stuff about redsea when it seems like waterbox has the issue too!

Man, If I was your friend, I'd help you grab it. That is a pretty bad butt setup. :D
Road Trip? haha

I know a couple of friends who would go for sure but feel bad even asking since I know they will say ok haha.

The SC aquarium tank is a little smaller, 150 vs 180, but still seems like a really solid deal with free shipping. I have been looking at building an extruded aluminum stand with panels, might come out to about the same price but save me a day + gas + a favor lol. The guy did say the tank has been sitting for quite a while, so no sort of warranty I assume + it has to survive a 400 mile trip. Lots to think about!

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy that people talk so much bad stuff about redsea when it seems like waterbox has the issue too!

Road Trip? haha

I know a couple of friends who would go for sure but feel bad even asking since I know they will say ok haha.

The SC aquarium tank is a little smaller, 150 vs 180, but still seems like a really solid deal with free shipping. I have been looking at building an extruded aluminum stand with panels, might come out to about the same price but save me a day + gas + a favor lol. The guy did say the tank has been sitting for quite a while, so no sort of warranty I assume + it has to survive a 400 mile trip. Lots to think about!
Yep here a few pics of the seam they said the tank was fine

Attachments

• 20220516_110621.jpg
    20220516_110621.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 20220516_110811.jpg
    20220516_110811.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP

562uned

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm planning to head up to Vegas on Monday to get the tank from craigslist. I have some doubts now though, the tank is "new" but has been sitting for the past 6 years, is that an issue? Just worried about getting this, moving it down to AZ and then it springing a leak in a month.

Last edited:

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could ask him to fill it now and if it's leaking by Monday, he can let you know before you head over. You could also contact CDA and see what they think about it sitting before you pull the trigger on it.

OP
OP

562uned

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could ask him to fill it now and if it's leaking by Monday, he can let you know before you head over.
It's new (old) and never had water in it / not plumbed I don't think he even has pumps or anything. I'm sure it'll hold water just worried more about a month from now haha

Back