Best pellet food

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed almost exclusively frozen and live foods. In a discussion awhile back, some said pellets are superior to frozen and fresh foods. Whether this is true, is up for debate. I just like to feed my fish, corals and inverts as close to a diet that they would eat in the wild. With that said, what are those superior pellet foods? I have Hikari on hand but I believe it’s been open for too long and I should toss it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
New life spectrum

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very loaded question and you'll get a thousand different answers haha. I don't think you'll ever find the "best" food but most of them are A+ regardless! My mentality is have as much variety as humanly possible! My current pellet feed has a fairly even mix of about 12 different products! Several NLS, some Aquaforest and Ocean Nutrition. I have seaweed based one, high protein and general all rounder pellets in the mix. If you feed a variety it's pretty safe to bet you won't miss out but it's also not a method for everyone as it's not cheap to start with but it lasts agggeess!! :)

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very loaded question and you'll get a thousand different answers haha. I don't think you'll ever find the "best" food but most of them are A+ regardless! My mentality is have as much variety as humanly possible! My current pellet feed has a fairly even mix of about 12 different products! Several NLS, some Aquaforest and Ocean Nutrition. I have seaweed based one, high protein and general all rounder pellets in the mix. If you feed a variety it's pretty safe to bet you won't miss out but it's also not a method for everyone as it's not cheap to start with but it lasts agggeess!! :)
Of course it’s a loaded question. And I’m happy to hear all responses. I’m hoping for a consensus as well as input and success stories.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love feeding pellets, it's just so easy after a long day at work to come home and toss in a small handful of pellets. I also feed LRS, and mysis, but typically my fish and inverts get pellets 60% of the time.

With that said I do mix my own variety of pellets to get the best of all worlds. I mix regular NLS, with NLS algae max, and some mysis pellets.

I have never had a fish that would not take to NLS. Even my mandarin loves some NLS. He will notice pellets sinking and will actually swim to the surface to scoop some off of it(which is totally odd for a mandy as they are primarily bottom/very close to the rock dwellers, and certainly not open water swimmers).

FragileReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefNutrition TDO chroma boost is my go to pellet. Love the granular size and stays in the watercolumn. Everything in my tank loves them, including my anenomes.

But I'll be watching to see if there is a new pellet to add to my blend.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's our go-to pellet food. Nothing turns it down.
I’m an English teacher and I love that you used a hyphen when you said “go-to food”. I’m not a grammar **** or anything but I respect those little touches on text.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m an English teacher and I love that you used a hyphen when you said “go-to food”. I’m not a grammar **** or anything but I respect those little touches on text.
I am much more casual here. I know correct grammar. It's a bit of a lost art.

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding Sera Discus pellets. Why?
1. I also have a discus tank so they are on-hand.
2. They play in the water the right way: some sink right away, some float and then drop.
3. They work great in my Eheim automatic feeder: easy to consistently dose, don't just float away into the overflow. (See #2) I feed a homemade frozen mix in the morning (shrimp, scallops, squid and cod) and autofeed (hyphen?) a small pinch 3 times during the day. Just thinking this is good for the planktonic grazers like chromis or anthias.
4. Kinda thinking fishmeal is fishmeal and the price seems reasonable if you buy in bulk.
5. I also feed occasionally Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef. Everyone seems to love it, discus et. al. I would use it in my autofeeder except it doesn't dose well.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used NLS for years and love it. TDO has also been goin. Great in my smaller/younger fish. More recently turned into Dr. Bassleer’s line and really seeing great feeding responses and vitality responses!

jx fang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything Japanese is the best, fish foods and human foods, yummy.
Like most Japanese stuff's, they keep the best for there domestic market only.
Here in HK, you can buy the JDM Japanese Domestic Market version Hikari "black gold" pellets foods, my fishes love them.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything Japanese is the best, fish foods and human foods, yummy.
Like most Japanese stuff's, they keep the best for there domestic market only.
Here in HK, you can buy the JDM Japanese Domestic Market version Hikari "black gold" pellets foods, my fishes love them.
Thanks @jx fang ~ I’m headed to fish street now to check out some pellets. Can you recommend a good place to buy?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back