Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

JasPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its pretty simple from my point of view-- live food is excellent as it is whole food ( fresh protein, carbohydrates and some fat) but needs to vary from one species of food. So live shrimp, black worms, calms, mussels and fish fish. Frozen is similar but freezing reduces the quality and availability of all nutrients ( just look at the water the frozen meal is thawed in-- lots lost! Pellets are formulated to include it all- yet heat processing and time kill off some of those intentions. Answer- vary diet and try to include types over a monthly or weekly schedule. I feed Black worms for a few days a month, frozen and pellets daily and clams, mussels and Nori on weekends. one key to feeding fish is less per meal and more meals in a day. After 40 years of doing this I can tell you my hippo tangs and angels never show facial erosion. Any minor outbreak of ice or in power failure and my fish remain strong-- great immune systems ( for fish). And my biggest problem is ash outgrowing the tank. Not bragging just pointing out that good diet is a cumulative result that needs to be appreciated with results over time

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love feeding pellets, it's just so easy after a long day at work to come home and toss in a small handful of pellets. I also feed LRS, and mysis, but typically my fish and inverts get pellets 60% of the time.

With that said I do mix my own variety of pellets to get the best of all worlds. I mix regular NLS, with NLS algae max, and some mysis pellets.

I have never had a fish that would not take to NLS. Even my mandarin loves some NLS. He will notice pellets sinking and will actually swim to the surface to scoop some off of it(which is totally odd for a mandy as they are primarily bottom/very close to the rock dwellers, and certainly not open water swimmers).
Im debating on food as i buy the frozen brine shrimp, mussels, myiasis, emerald, and many frozen variety but I wonder how much of this stuff the fish consume which we know its not all you put in just part and the rest will either sink to the bottom of the tank or disappear somewhere else including our sumps and filter, flakes thats another story I feel that the gishes are able to consume whatever they csn as soon you put it in and before got disperse on the water,, where I can see fishes consuming good is when i cut silverside and put it on the tanks so my 2 eels eat good but the rest of the fishes I wonder if they are really eating good and properly.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just like to feed my fish, corals and inverts as close to a diet that they would eat in the wild. With

Feed them the same pellets that they find in the sea. :rolleyes:

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved it when PE Mysis came out with pellets but they sink to the bottom in just a few seconds. Lots gets wasted imho.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked my fishes.
Its just to feed them with a mixture of Mysis, Artemia, Cyclops and pellets and see if You have one single fish that goes for the pellets.
Ok thats not a test of nutritional scientific value but I eat and drink stuff with sugar in and drink beer and red wine. Thats for my personal feeling good. So why not listen to the fishes. They also like to feel good and maybe eat something of lower nutritional value just because the taste. They spawn regulary with a frozen diet so I believe the nutritional value is OK.

Lightdir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I am old school I still use dainichi pellets in my auto feeder, and then PE Mysis and rod’s food when i feed the coral.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Chromaboost and new life era.
In the past tetra marine pretty good

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mostly LRS frozen, but I do toss some pellets in sometimes when I'm being lazy or when i want to mix it up a bit. I use the new life spectrum enhanced marine. The fish love it my filter socks, not so much lol

Intheflesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my fish New Life Spectrum pellets about 80% of the time and then freeze dried Mysis the rest.
I usually add a few drops of Polyp Labs Polyp Booster to the tank 5 minutes before feeding time, it makes everything in the tank go crazy. I had some finicky eaters, and this routine seemed to entice them to eat. Once per week, I will supplement a mysis feeding with Selcon.

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I don't have a choice a bit of Tetra bits( I know not the best pellet food) but if I am at home DIY frozen mix of shrimps, mussel, clams ,oysters, salmon/cod and some Red sea A and B coral energy.My corals are fed a liquid version of this mix.

Phil85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed almost exclusively a pellet mixture of:
NLS Marine Formula
NLS Algaemax
PE Mysis
Hikari Seaweed Extreme
Omega One Marine

When I run low and need to restock I'm thinking of adding in some Northfin and Cobalt Ultra pellets. They look to be made with quality ingredients.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i put a mixture of the following in an IM gourmet grinder.
every time i feed, it's a mixture of everything.

NLS thera a+ pellets
NLS optimum flakes
NLS reef cell
PE mysis pellets
PE mysis flakes
Hikari marine S pellets
Seachem chlorella flakes

J.

Ben9524

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert by any means but I've had a bunch of different types of fish and when I was younger I never paid much attention to foods my fish didn't like but later on I noticed that my fish always respond to HBH products. Now HBH is owned by Pisces Pros but I believe they still use the original recipes.

Here's a link to there products on amazon if you'd like to check them out: Amazon.com.
I also think they have there own website too.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think nls is the best but all mine will eat is omega one marine. I haven't tried pe mysis I have set aside yet though.

Back