Best piece of reef equipment you have purchased

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best ..... to me ..... hands down my MTC ProCal CaRx ..... now 20 years young and still going strong.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controller, ATO, RODI and refractometer. All a must right from the being. I would not do a reef tank without these ever again.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on when you say best piece, are you thinking about the must haves or the over the top purchases. Kinda difficult to chose which is the best since I like all of my equipment. Have the Apex, Vortechs, Hydras, UV, Vertex Skimmer and Doser, scrubbing brush, ozone, Reef Octopus Kalk stirrer, Alkatronic, Hanna testers, and the list goes on.

Out of those the one that I would say that I do like the most is my Alkatronic. It works in conjunction with my kalk stirrer quite well. But I also like my Apex just as much, and my Vortechs, and my hydras. You kinda see where it is going. I like all of my equipment equally, that is the reason I chose what I have. :D

But in the spirit of playing along, I guess I would have to say my Alkatronic is the best piece of equipment I have.

Last edited:

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For RO/DI, I love love LOVE my SpectraPure UHE 200 gpd unit ( http://spectrapure.com/MaxCap-1-1-Ultra-High-Efficiency-200-GPD-RO-DI-System?filter_name=uhe ). It's float switch controlled to turn on automatically when storage bin gets low and shut off automatically when storage bin gets full. I have a pair of 55-gallon Brute trash cans plumbed together for 100 gallons of fresh water, and a take-off pipe supplies fresh water to the auto-topoff system (Genesis Storm) as well as a pump to make filling my two saltwater mixing bins easy.

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO (a real labor saver), Neptune Apex (a wonderful tool), Custom Reef Savvy Tank, Stand and Sump (buy the best and cry only once).

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnetic glass cleaner, spatula for cleaning skimmer cup and neck, waterproof flashlight, those are the three things i use the most. After that, CO2 reactor for PH control. Beyond the obvious, Apex, water on floor sensors, ATO, skimmer, refugium...

rbadger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would be “flipper” magnetic cleaner, and my Apex controller to monitor and control everything from my phone!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Probably the most useful piece of equipment was a good ATO.
The most useful tool I ever purchased was 26-27 years ago when I got my first python water change hose.
Signaled the end of carrying 5 gallon buckets of water.

zieg9479

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna go with the crowd and say ATO. It's been the most beneficial piece ever..

aside from the display tank.

manilaboy1vic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant go wrong with an RODI unit.. its a must have.. goin to the LFS or anywhere for that matter to get water is just too inconvenient.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience, not kidding. So many times throughout this hobby we rush, rush to make a change, rush to solve something rush to implement a new thing. Sometimes the best thing to do is sit back and wait, think and consider everything and I do mean everything. I could say my new sump but before that it was my new skimmer and so on.

Fence13

Over Thinker Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My NYOS Quantum skimmer. Only ever had reef octopus or skimz before but this thing. wow I wish I had found it sooner. So good, so quiet, so well made, so small!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back