Best place online for fish/inverts & What to get

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never ordered fish or inverts online. My LFS is really low and not doing an oder for a couple of weeks, but I would really like to go ahead and start getting my inverts in QT with a couple corals from my old tank. I am home on Christmas Vacation so I can be home to get them out of the cold right away. I also haven't had great luck with livestock at the LFS lately, so I think I am going to try it.

1. Where do you order online that has decent prices and great livestock?
2. I will start with hermit crabs and snails, but any particular kind you prefer for a brand new tank (also, what do you feed when in QT? I have never QT'd corals and inverts).
3. Thinking of starting with a pair of cardinals and a blenny or goby. What is your favorite? Thinking of a starry blenny (does he need sand in QT?) Also like the midas blenny. but I love goby's too. LOL. Trying to decide. I have a scooter, flame hawk, 2 clowns, sailfin and foxface from my old tank that will be moving over in the meantime.
THANKS!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never ordered fish or inverts online. My LFS is really low and not doing an oder for a couple of weeks, but I would really like to go ahead and start getting my inverts in QT with a couple corals from my old tank. I am home on Christmas Vacation so I can be home to get them out of the cold right away. I also haven't had great luck with livestock at the LFS lately, so I think I am going to try it.

1. Where do you order online that has decent prices and great livestock?
2. I will start with hermit crabs and snails, but any particular kind you prefer for a brand new tank (also, what do you feed when in QT? I have never QT'd corals and inverts).
3. Thinking of starting with a pair of cardinals and a blenny or goby. What is your favorite? Thinking of a starry blenny (does he need sand in QT?) Also like the midas blenny. but I love goby's too. LOL. Trying to decide. I have a scooter, flame hawk, 2 clowns, sailfin and foxface from my old tank that will be moving over in the meantime.
THANKS!
For a CuC I have had great luck with John at Reefcleaners.org

I have also used Live Aquaria and Blue Zoo Aquatics to order fish. Both have been positive experiences. I've heard good things about NY Aquatics also, but I haven't used them.

I'm not sure that many blenny's will get along. My Starry Blenny may be the most aggressive fish in my tank.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Aquaria is the best for both fish and inverts. You cannot beat their guarantee or prices. Not to mention overnight shipping is usually free after $99.00. As for their fish its best to order from the Divers Den part of LA since you know the fish are eating and QT process has been started. Plus you see a WYSIWYG of the fish.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennys will be fine together in 180 but i would stay away from putting them together in QT. If it would be me i would put Starry with cardinals first and than after all done Midas with some other fish...
My Starry was not nice to Gobys... Never had Midas so can't really say much.
If you really decide that you want Goby maybe have him first in tank? Good luck!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennys will be fine together in 180 but i would stay away from putting them together in QT. If it would be me i would put Starry with cardinals first and than after all done Midas with some other fish...
My Starry was not nice to Gobys... Never had Midas so can't really say much.
If you really decide that you want Goby maybe have him first in tank? Good luck!

I wasn't thinking midas and starry - I was wondering what others experience was - favorite blenny, or favorite goby. Not sure If I want one of each or need to choose one. I do have a scooter already. I want to make sure I am not getting something mean to him.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B2A652A4-B650-432B-B521-6F93FB8AED72.jpeg
I wasn't thinking midas and starry - I was wondering what others experience was - favorite blenny, or favorite goby. Not sure If I want one of each or need to choose one. I do have a scooter already. I want to make sure I am not getting something mean to him.
I’ve had several Blennies and Gobies. My Favorite is this guy. Ember Blenny- he’s a big jerk to any fish no matter the size. He bites my hand any time I put it in the tank. Most blennies are pretty bold towards any other fish. Well except my tail spot blenny which is a big baby.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fortunate to have a few really goof LFS...that bring in and condition their fish and corals. As for online, LiveAquaria is awesome. I just bought a green spotted mandarin, convict tang and a male blue jaw trigger from them. They came in very healthy. I don't QT... I know... people will jump all over me on this... but I am a believer of buying right, reducing stress and drip acclimation. Does it always work.... yes... for me it does. Have I had some issues in the past...yes. That is why I am very picky where I buy. LiveAquaria has impressed me. As for clean up crews... you can also go to John at reefcleaners.com

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just got a Midas blenny yesterday and he’s already such a character! He hid last night but has been out all day today and ate this morning. I love the way he swims and perches. He has a favorite hole in the rockwork he goes in and sticks his head out and watches everybody. It’s really cute.
7da888a0215c2684f53a9da331618f82.jpg
702f1ddbe3e12b9761fe370fa2c71a2a.jpg

S.O.MLemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B2A652A4-B650-432B-B521-6F93FB8AED72.jpeg

I’ve had several Blennies and Gobies. My Favorite is this guy. Ember Blenny- he’s a big jerk to any fish no matter the size. He bites my hand any time I put it in the tank. Most blennies are pretty bold towards any other fish. Well except my tail spot blenny which is a big baby.

Very pretty blenny....to me blennies look like grumpy old men and kinda have the same attitude. I have a basic lawnmower and he basically acts like he owns the tank. He gets first bites(fattest fish I have) and #1 perch places and all other fish move out of his way lol

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefcleaners. Never heard of a disappointment! Only place I have ever bought CUC and base rock from. John is a good guy

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very pretty blenny....to me blennies look like grumpy old men and kinda have the same attitude. I have a basic lawnmower and he basically acts like he owns the tank. He gets first bites(fattest fish I have) and #1 perch places and all other fish move out of his way lol
Thanks, he has the same attitude. I'd say he's the boss of the tank.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - question - I see Live Aquaria has a pair of bonded gobys with their shrimp. Do they need sand in the QT and can the shrimp be QT'd with them? Do they need anything special in QT?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - question - I see Live Aquaria has a pair of bonded gobys with their shrimp. Do they need sand in the QT and can the shrimp be QT'd with them? Do they need anything special in QT?
The issue I see is that you can't use any treatments on the fish with the shrimp in the tank with them. They pretty much need to be QT'd separately.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue I see is that you can't use any treatments on the fish with the shrimp in the tank with them. They pretty much need to be QT'd separately.

So, I would QT the shrimp in a separate tank with the inverts and corals?
If so, would that "unmatch" them if the are coming as a group? Would I be better off buying them separately. Also, I don't hear much about the wheeler's shrimp goby, but I like that they look like candy canes! Thinking this pair would be good for my tank.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I would QT the shrimp in a separate tank with the inverts and corals?
If so, would that "unmatch" them if the are coming as a group? Would I be better off buying them separately. Also, I don't hear much about the wheeler's shrimp goby, but I like that they look like candy canes! Thinking this pair would be good for my tank.
You can buy them together. They should rebond when you put them in the DT together. But yes, the shrimp should go in your coral/invert QT until it molts. Then it is safe to move to your DT.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back