Best place to buy a Clam

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've tried twice, but both times, my new Maxima clam died within a week of putting it in my 55 gallon reef tank. My tank is 2 years mature, and running Kessil LEDs. I purchased both clams from LiveAquaria Divers Den. They both were about 2.5" or so. The good thing is that they refunded my money, but I'd rather have a healthy clam in my tank. I live near Pittsburgh, but don't know of any LFS's that carry them. Any advice on best place to buy them online, or a good LFS near Pittsburgh? Thanks [emoji846]

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depended on the clam, they like really intense light, what settings do you have your kessils at?

Pete1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ramp up to 100 % intensity for 5 hours, 45% color, then ramp back down. On a total of 12 hours.

Kessils are great lights , but if you check your par i think you will be very disapointed , might want togo with t5 or metal halide

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard for me to believe a clam will die within a week because the light is a bit low.
For me this can be possible. (in time order - not the most likey order)
Packaging.
Transport.
Unpacking.
Water values. Temperature, salinity, other chemical parameters.
Predators (crabs, shrimps, fishes).
Parasites.
Circulation.
Light.

OP
OP
GoPitt88

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above. I'd try a deresa next time and try to avoid clams under 3"

Having only a 55 gallon tank, I'm concerned that a Derasa would get too big too quickly, that's why I was thinking a Squamosa would be better?

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had clams from live aquaria and they did fine but I had to qt them due to being covered in pyramid snails, which will end in death. Pacific east aquaculture and unique corals were very spot on with the clams, from packaging to health they were great!

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a blue squamosa from pieces of the ocean a month ago and it came in with two pyramid snails, not really surprising because of how common they are but a little surprising they didn't knock them off before bagging it up. With that being said, I disposed of them and scrubbed the shell immediately and that was that, it's been really healthy since arrival and is growing for me already.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked, and neither of those places are selling clams right now :(
Just be patient and keep looking. Pieces of the ocean are a sponsor here so maybe you can message them as to what your looking for. My wife communicated with divers den on Facebook for a solid month finding a nice blue squamosa so you can try that as well. Keep an eye on Pacific east aquaculture, there a sponsor here too.

OP
OP
GoPitt88

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be patient and keep looking. Pieces of the ocean are a sponsor here so maybe you can message them as to what your looking for. My wife communicated with divers den on Facebook for a solid month finding a nice blue squamosa so you can try that as well. Keep an eye on Pacific east aquaculture, there a sponsor here too.

Thanks! [emoji106]

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a blue squamosa from pieces of the ocean a month ago and it came in with two pyramid snails, not really surprising because of how common they are but a little surprising they didn't knock them off before bagging it up. With that being said, I disposed of them and scrubbed the shell immediately and that was that, it's been really healthy since arrival and is growing for me already.
Just be careful and keep a check on that clam at night. That's when you can see them best and some are only size of the tip of a pen. Plus they have a tendency to lay eggs in the scute which make it harder to get. I've had them get to a point where I've had to freshwater dip over the course of a month but finally beat them lol

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact them I'm sure they have them just maybe not online, unique and pacific east usually always have them
I just checked, and
Just be careful and keep a check on that clam at night. That's when you can see them best and some are only size of the tip of a pen. Plus they have a tendency to lay eggs in the scute which make it harder to get. I've had them get to a point where I've had to freshwater dip over the course of a month but finally beat them lol
I just checked, and neither of those places are selling clams right now :(

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't worry, they're 100% gone. I've done my OCD checking, not my first clam. ;)

Fercho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you figure out the cause of death of your two clams?
Squamosas also grow quick as someone already mentioned.
I have one that in 3 years grew from 2 inches to 7 inches, maybe a bit faster in near perfect tamk parameter conditions.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just being cautious lol. I hate losing clams over stuff like that. Lost a beautiful tear drop due to my inexperience many moons ago.
Don't worry, they're 100% gone. I've done my OCD checking, not my first clam. ;)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back