Best place to buy acrylic for DIY projects?

minnowme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef!

can I get some advice on where to go to find the best value Acrylic for DIY projects?

always love,
-Mike MINNOW ME

ClearRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on size and thickness you need. I got 2 12x12 pieces of smoked acrylic about 3/16 for around $15 off Amazon.

ClearRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as safer to work with? My guess would be all about the same with proper tools. Be sure to wear proper protection for the tools you're using(eye, ear, gloves, etc)

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local plastics/sign store. They often have scrap bins where you pay by the pound.

Do you by chance know if there is a specific type of acrylic safer for drilling/cutting?

Cell cast acrylic is used for most, if not all, tanks. You can probably get away with extruded for small projects.

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you by chance know if there is a specific type of acrylic safer for drilling/cutting?
I used 1/8 inch plexi, but depends on the purpose as to what thickness. I used what is called a step bit from Ace Hardware, which is a conical-shaped bit with no problems. Using a standard drill bit I got too many cracks, plus you have to support 100% of the plexi when you drill. I backed mine with a piece of plywood. Of course using a conical bit will not give you the straight finish on the inside if you need that.

Back