Best place to buy clam online

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have squamosa in stock, they're we'll hidden .

I like hippopos... Beauty is in the eye. Squamosa, deresa, hippopos... All are IMHO easier and faster growing than the more popular crocea and maximas.

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like hippopos... Beauty is in the eye. Squamosa, deresa, hippopos... All are IMHO easier and faster growing than the more popular crocea and maximas.

Squamosa are in stock, not for sale yet, huge sales on clams for next week--Black Friday week. We have 200 blue Maximas coming tomorrow from our French Polynesia farm for the sale, gold Maximas, Derasa, and Squamosa already in stock. Only Maximas are native to French Polynesia so we only grow those there, Squamosa come from Palau farm and Deresa and Gold Maxima from Tonga farm.

OP
OP
R

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Totally agree regarding maxima clams. Slow growing, everybody has them, affordable maximas are less than an inch long. Just cant justify their price knowing much of the clams go to the locals for food. Likely for $1/lb or less. And yes i realize getting them to the other side of the world is the most expensive part. I do like croceas however getting back in the hobby i havent seen them anywhere locally or online. And man, you have quite a range you’re willing to travel for a clam. I cant convince myself to drive to tidal gardens ~3hrs drive from me. By the time you factor in gas, the miles and your time it’s cheaper to pay for shipping. Of course ordering online doesn’t give you the chance to inspect the clam’s health but you have a much larger selection.

@PacificEastAquaculture cant wait to see your black friday sale. I’ll be placing my order before it gets too cold out.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...you have quite a range you’re willing to travel for a clam. I cant convince myself to drive to tidal gardens ~3hrs drive from me. By the time you factor in gas, the miles and your time it’s cheaper to pay for shipping.

You must live in town :)

When you live out in the woods, you figure drive distances a bit differently. If I can get there and back in a day, it's a day trip. Cost? It's recreation!

Selecting a clam where you can look at it... especially the underside, see water conditions, etc. Worth way more than a couple tanks of fuel.

Lowsingle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr Mac, will you be getting any black / dark purple maxima clams? Maybe I should drive down from northern Virginia

Darren

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr Mac, will you be getting any black / dark purple maxima clams? Maybe I should drive down from northern Virginia

Darren

Going down to look is always a good idea. However, within one ups zone (ie most of No VA, MD, and i’d imagine DE) he has a very good overnight shipping deal. Also, Shameless plug, he is often at WAMAS meetings…

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going down to look is always a good idea. However, within one ups zone (ie most of No VA, MD, and i’d imagine DE) he has a very good overnight shipping deal. Also, Shameless plug, he is often at WAMAS meetings…

Thanks.

I do attend all the WAMAS events and bring clams when I have them available.

I only stock and sell cultured clams nowadays, they are very hardy and easy to keep. Availability was scarce this past year, but now the farms in French Polynesia, Tonga, and Palau are producing regularly so I have a goid supply most of the time. I seldom have all the clams available posted on the site so email if you are seeking any, it takes a lot of time to do individual pics of clams because they are so reactive to shadows. I've been bringing several hundred Blue, Green, and various other colors of Maximas from the farm in French Polynesia I helped start 10 years ago. I have about 100 or so now and bringing more next week. Been extremely busy due to our sale last week so have not had time to post new ones on our site--actually no blues or greens on our site at the moment but 100+ in stock. I also get Maximas and Deresa from the Tonga farm, and Squamosa from Palau with Crocea very infrequently from there at this time. None of the farms I deal with do gigas. Clams from each location vary in color from other locations, for example blue Maximas from French Polynesia are distinctly different than those from Tonga. Years ago when we were bringing in wild Maximas they varied greatly, even between different island in the more remote chains in French Polynesia. The farms in Tonga and Palau are government run, French Polynesia farms are private--there are at least 2 there.

Back