best place to buy copepods with a GOOD count

billyd0214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could anyone tell me the best places they have found for buying copepods? a place that delivers a GOOD count. shipping is so much and the bottles USUALLY look almost empty. Not always. seems like a waste. where have you found a really good count? thanks

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could anyone tell me the best places they have found for buying copepods? a place that delivers a GOOD count. shipping is so much and the bottles USUALLY look almost empty. Not always. seems like a waste. where have you found a really good count? thanks
Reefcleaners and algae barn are both popular sources.

The starting amount of pods doesn't really matter all too much though.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize that most of the pods in the bottle, cannot be seen by the naked eye?

The ones you do see are adults, and egg bearing adult females. You actually want more napuli(babies that can't be seen by the naked eye), and egg bearing females then any ones you can actually see.

Just look at a couple drops under a microscope, it will blow your mind how many are actually in a couple drops of water that only looks like water with nothing in it.

But more to the point. @Dinkins Aquatic Gardens, @AlgaeBarn , @Jay'sReefBugs, and @Eldredge I have bought from in the past, and all are decent vendors.

EDIT:
Forgot @hollback also great pods, and a great guy to do business with.

Last edited:

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae Barn, I just got a bottle of Galaxy pods yesterday and dumped them into the tank after the lights went out. The water column was just full of 4 different pods. The Orchard Dottyback was having a field day this morning eyeballing them out and seen him nipping away at the rocks chowing down on the pods that didn't think its time to hide lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230330_144327_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230330_144327_Gallery.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 159

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used algae barn and hollback. Hollback sells trigger pods so if you want visible pods I’d recommend his. I’ve been very satisfied with algae barn as well.

I’ll be trying Dinkins the next time I need pods just to try them out.

ReefnLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dinkins Aquatic Gardens has never disappointed and provide tons of healthy pods.

Last edited by a moderator:

reveriesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried several of the suppliers listed above, although I prefer Reef Nutrition (Reed Mariculture). Their Tigger Pods and Apex Pods are visible to the naked eye (you have to look closely at the Apex as they are quite small - perfect for juvenile mandarins) and packed in a convenient containers with pop tops to let air in the top until you are ready to use them.

Sophie"s mom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Algae Barn, they have a variety to choose from. I get the galaxy pods, which is a mix of 3 different types. I have them on auto delivery monthly. They are excellent.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Off topic but how long can the pods survive inside the bottle they are stored in for shipping?
I can't speak to other companies but our pods are jarred fresh each day that we ship, and are good at room temperature for up to four weeks. We recommend that you poke holes or tear the plastic seal. That way, fresh air can be exchanged. You can also put a bubbler, feed small amounts of phytoplankton, and possibly make the jar last on the counter for a tad longer. Just be careful if you choose to do this as feeding will "muddy" up the water, meaning the jar might need to be used sooner rather than later. We recommend that you use them before the 4 weeks is up. I hope that helps.

~Sam

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 36.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 52 29.2%
Back