Best pods for feeding mandarin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seeded my tank with your mixed pack of pods a few months ago and even with my mandarin and a few other fish feeding on them, the population of some seem to be holding fine. It seems that I never see the Tigriopus pods.

My question is which type of pods is best for feeding the Mandarin. I feel there is value in restocking the pods periodically and am curious if I should stick with adding the 3 pod mix or if I should go species specific.

Thanks!

NB Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AlgaeBarn may know best but I believe all copepods can live together. If amphipods are introduced to the system they become big enough to eat the copepods and wipe out their reproduction. I agree that there is value in periodically restocking pods.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AlgaeBarn may know best but I believe all copepods can live together. If amphipods are introduced to the system they become big enough to eat the copepods and wipe out their reproduction. I agree that there is value in periodically restocking pods.
I have quite a large number of amphipods and they don't seem to be hurting my copepod population but is interesting. I had never thought of it being possible the copepods would become prey for the amphipods.

More to think about.

NB Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to find out where I learned that from. It was somewhere on here while researching dragonets. I have not personally experienced it but the info still k when I was looking into it. It could end up being purely anecdotal.

NB Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quite a large number of amphipods and they don't seem to be hurting my copepod population but is interesting. I had never thought of it being possible the copepods would become prey for the amphipods.

More to think about.

How does one visibly discern between amphipods and copepods?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tisbe.
There are a few others that come in as hitchhikers. But a Mandy will eat amphipods too. Fun to hear them crunch I think.
All bugs eat other bugs so they’ll duke it out and populations will ebb and flow as they. Wage tank war.
I sprinkle spirulina flakes on my chato from time to time to force a bloom.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does one visibly discern between amphipods and copepods?
Amphipods are longer and much larger. Copepods look more like small dots on the glass where you can barely make out the antenna/legs with the naked eye. At least, with my eyes.

Tisbe.
There are a few others that come in as hitchhikers. But a Mandy will eat amphipods too. Fun to hear them crunch I think.
All bugs eat other bugs so they’ll duke it out and populations will ebb and flow as they. Wage tank war.
I sprinkle spirulina flakes on my chato from time to time to force a bloom.
I have noticed mine eats the smaller amphipods, especially when it is just the moonlights on.

Thanks in large part to you, I run my tank much dirtier than I would have imagined could be healthy. Its never done better. 2" of mud in the sump. Constantly dumping in phyto. Overfeeding everything. Needless to say, that does great things for my pod population. Eventually I want to add a second Mandy to join my first one.

And thanks for the Tisbe advice. That was how I was leaning since I felt those are the ones normally on my glass. Figured that means they are also the ones easiest for the Mandarin to get to.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphipods are longer and much larger. Copepods look more like small dots on the glass where you can barely make out the antenna/legs with the naked eye. At least, with my eyes.

I have noticed mine eats the smaller amphipods, especially when it is just the moonlights on.

Thanks in large part to you, I run my tank much dirtier than I would have imagined could be healthy. Its never done better. 2" of mud in the sump. Constantly dumping in phyto. Overfeeding everything. Needless to say, that does great things for my pod population. Eventually I want to add a second Mandy to join my first one.

And thanks for the Tisbe advice. That was how I was leaning since I felt those are the ones normally on my glass. Figured that means they are also the ones easiest for the Mandarin to get to.
Haha. Nice. I was wondering how the mud was testing you. Get any live foramefera yet?

Fwiw, mine eats every thing. ISO cope and amphi, sand skaters, tube worms , spaghetti worms , flat worms. Probably a few more things i didn’t know i had.:eek:
Much more a carnivore than folks suspect.

Ps alge barn rocks!:cool:

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. Nice. I was wondering how the mud was testing you. Get any live foramefera yet?

Fwiw, mine eats every thing. ISO cope and amphi, sand skaters, tube worms , spaghetti worms , flat worms. Probably a few more things i didn’t know i had.:eek:

Haven't seen those yet. Lots of other interesting things though, including ulva algae. Couldn't believe when that started growing out of my mud.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Haven't seen those yet. Lots of other interesting things though, including ulva algae. Couldn't believe when that started growing out of my mud.

I just added mud to my refuge Friday night on @Brew12's recommendation. I haven't seen anything yet, but right before work tonight I added the extra chaeto I had to that compartment and put my Eshopps Curve LED on it, on the same timer as my chaeto reactor. I did notice an odd looking "tunnel" in the mud, up against the front acrylic wall. Maybe a trapped air pocket, or I have something living down there I haven't seen yet. I will say that the tank looks amazingly clear since adding the mud. Still a little film algae on the glass every day, but the water is crystal.

mohican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff, I will order some pods from Alge Barn. I would like to kick start my population for the tank.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which type of pods is best for feeding the Mandarin. Was this question even answered?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back