Best Pods to Dose for Dragonet?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im about to place an order on fragbox.ca , a coral shop in Toronto, about 2 hours from me. I want to add one last fish to my tank, and I really like dragonets. I have a 20g, and we all know what people think of mandarins in 20g, so im thinking maybe a psychedelic dragonet or ruby red dragonet. Im going to seed my tank about 2 months before, which is now. I need to know which pods to buy. On the website it gives me soo many different options of pod species and brands. Anyone know the best brands and pod choices? As well as phytoplankton? And what exactly do I need to feed the pods? Will they eat phyto? It only seems to sell Reef Nutrition, and I would assume its good because its advertised at the top of this page XD
#reefsquad

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im about to place an order on fragbox.ca , a coral shop in Toronto, about 2 hours from me. I want to add one last fish to my tank, and I really like dragonets. I have a 20g, and we all know what people think of mandarins in 20g, so im thinking maybe a psychedelic dragonet or ruby red dragonet. Im going to seed my tank about 2 months before, which is now. I need to know which pods to buy. On the website it gives me soo many different options of pod species and brands. Anyone know the best brands and pod choices? As well as phytoplankton? And what exactly do I need to feed the pods? Will they eat phyto? It only seems to sell Reef Nutrition, and I would assume its good because its advertised at the top of this page XD
#reefsquad
I bought a bunch of amphipods on Flea-bay for my Mandarin

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a guy off facebook “the fish dude copepod and live reef food”. Faster delivery, higher quantity per volume, and cheaper than the big name places I was ordering from before.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a guy off facebook “the fish dude copepod and live reef food”. Faster delivery, higher quantity per volume, and cheaper than the big name places I was ordering from before.
And what pods does he recommend for dragonets?

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you no pods in there to begin with? If you already have pods in your tank you can start feeding the tank phyto. Plus you'll need a refugium, cryptic or lighted doesn't matter, as your population will be consumed and you'll have a starving dragonet. Oh and I recommend captive bred and feed at least three times a day, preferably more. That way it's not reliant on the ebb and flow of your pod population

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you no pods in there to begin with? If you already have pods in your tank you can start feeding the tank phyto. Plus you'll need a refugium, cryptic or lighted doesn't matter, as your population will be consumed and you'll have a starving dragonet. Oh and I recommend captive bred and feed at least three times a day, preferably more. That way it's not reliant on the ebb and flow of your pod population
No I do not have pods in my tank already. I currently dont have a refugium, but im going to use buckets to cultivate pods and phyto, with maybe some macro or a pod hotel in there. That counts as a fuge, right?

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I do not have pods in my tank already. I currently dont have a refugium, but im going to use buckets to cultivate pods and phyto, with maybe some macro or a pod hotel in there. That counts as a fuge, right?

Def if you culture then that counts. Still would have inaccessible places in your tank. Basically a good amount of holey rock. Not sure on perfect pod strain. It might even be different with each species of dragonet

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def if you culture then that counts. Still would have inaccessible places in your tank. Basically a good amount of holey rock. Not sure on perfect pod strain. It might even be different with each species of dragonet
Yeah Ive got this one rock that is basically a "hole" lottta holes, perfect for pods to hide and reproduce. And another kidna like that just less holes but bigger ones

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other tank inhabitants do you have? There are other fish and inverts that hunt pods as well so you have to keep that in mind. You may need to order pods often and it can be expensive. A healthy refugium does help to keep a good population but may not be enough.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other tank inhabitants do you have? There are other fish and inverts that hunt pods as well so you have to keep that in mind. You may need to order pods often and it can be expensive. A healthy refugium does help to keep a good population but may not be enough.
I only have 1 pair of clowns

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm...really only seeing Apex pods and Tigger pods for sale on Fragbox. Between the two, I'd use the Apex (Apocyclops) pods, since they reproduce faster than the Tigriopus.

Apocyclops pods do well on both algae paste and live algae. You can either culture it, or buy it from somebody who's made it. Keep in mind that different pods favor different microalgaes/phytoplanktons (ex. Parvocalanus grows best with Isochrysis and Chaetoceros).

Also, look into making a PaulB feeder! You just stick'em full of NHBBS (newly hatched baby brine shrimp), and the dragonet just pecks at it all day.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm...really only seeing Apex pods and Tigger pods for sale on Fragbox. Between the two, I'd use the Apex (Apocyclops) pods, since they reproduce faster than the Tigriopus.

Apocyclops pods do well on both algae paste and live algae. You can either culture it, or buy it from somebody who's made it. Keep in mind that different pods favor different microalgaes/phytoplanktons (ex. Parvocalanus grows best with Isochrysis and Chaetoceros).

Also, look into making a PaulB feeder! You just stick'em full of NHBBS (newly hatched baby brine shrimp), and the dragonet just pecks at it all day.
Will Apex pods eat algae off of rockwork and stuff? So I can dose a little phyto, and then just let the rest happen naturally? Also I will be culturing pods in a bucket, does it need a light ?

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will Apex pods eat algae off of rockwork and stuff? So I can dose a little phyto, and then just let the rest happen naturally? Also I will be culturing pods in a bucket, does it need a light ?
The Apocyclops will eat anything they can find so no reason to reed them in a reef tank. Pods dont need light but the do need warm water.
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apocyclops will eat anything they can find so no reason to reed them in a reef tank. Pods dont need light but the do need warm water.
Cheers! Mark
K ill just buy a heater to stick in the bucket. Do I need to culture phyto as well? Or will the phyto I dose in the tank be fine?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back