"BEST POWER HEAD” 2021? WHAT YOUR OPTION?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I had a maxspect Gyre 350 stop working after a 7 months from getting wet. so while I have a support in with coral vue I am doing my home work just encase I have to get a new PH.

just curious what R2R thinks as the best in flow power heads are? I am looking at price point + longevity + ease of use + flow = best in market for 2021/22

side note I know there are pumps for different options like wide flow and narrow tunze ect but I am looking for best all around for a mixed reef.

2nd side note they will be on 3/4"(19mm) glass RS650P being a peninsula I am trying my hardest to keep PH off the front short end.
in the past I have had pretty good luck with reefbreeders pumps there prety cheap and do last a few years before quitting and at less that 1/2 the price that was acceptable. but i wanted to upgrade and with my new tank the thick glass would not allow for cheaper pumps anyway. shame I would have went with 4 RPMs

so what do you think is best in class power heads?

mp40/60
Gyres
tunze
nutpune wav...Joking

what have you used and been very happy with?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I had a maxspect Gyre 350 stop working after a 7 months from getting wet. so while I have a support in with coral vue I am doing my home work just encase I have to get a new PH.

just curious what R2R thinks as the best in flow power heads are? I am looking at price point + longevity + ease of use + flow = best in market for 2021/22

side note I know there are pumps for different options like wide flow and narrow tunze ect but I am looking for best all around for a mixed reef.

2nd side note they will be on 3/4"(19mm) glass RS650P being a peninsula I am trying my hardest to keep PH off the front short end.
in the past I have had pretty good luck with reefbreeders pumps there prety cheap and do last a few years before quitting and at less that 1/2 the price that was acceptable. but i wanted to upgrade and with my new tank the thick glass would not allow for cheaper pumps anyway. shame I would have went with 4 RPMs

mp40/60
Gyres
tunze
nutpune wav...Joking

+1 vote MP40s because I've got 2 - both still working - 9 years old...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RedSea ReefWaves offer the best value for the money, IMHO. Quick disconnects and setup and scheduling is super easy through the ReefBeat app. The Maxspects are a bit dated and occasionally problematic, but I do use an XF330 pair for backup.

Tunzes are absolute monsters and seem to last forever.

AI Nero3/5s offer pretty good value (AI is also owned by EcoTech).

MP10/40/60s are stupid expensive, but they do have the quick removal/wetside and no wires in the tank feature.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mp40/60
Gyres
tunze
nutpune wav...Joking

I have 2 RS 45s and 1 RS 25 on my 3XL900. I have the 2 45s on each end vertically for surface flow and the 25 mounted on the overflow box facing forward. I have been thinking of moving the 45s horizontally in each corner with flow in 2 directions one way for front surface and back surface flow. I was going to add 2 Neptune WAVs for surface flow since they plug right in to 832. Are the WAVs really that bad?

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 vote MP40s because I've got 2 - both still working - 9 years old...
9 years WOW! that is the kind of pump I am looking for seems so many things these days are just junk both in and out of the hobby.

RedSea ReefWaves offer the best value for the money, IMHO. Quick disconnects and setup and scheduling is super easy through the ReefBeat app. The Maxspects are a bit dated and occasionally problematic, but I do use an XF330 pair for backup.

Tunzes are absolute monsters and seem to last forever.

AI Nero3/5s offer pretty good value (AI is also owned by EcoTech).

MP10/40/60s are stupid expensive, but they do have the quick removal/wetside and no wires in the tank feature.
I thought ppl where having alot of trouble with the RS reefbeat app?

I do hear good things about tunze they do seem to last they seem t be big and pricy tho. worth looking into them again.

if I had to buy today I am leaning toward a pair of Mp40s. but not looking to buy so close to the BF/CM sales and hopefully coral vue helps out for the replacement.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Two ReefWave 45's on the back wall of my 100g for almost a year now and like their performance very much. The app can be tricky for some routers, but RS tech support prevailed for me.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 RS 45s and 1 RS 25 on my 3XL900. I have the 2 45s on each end vertically for surface flow and the 25 mounted on the overflow box facing forward. I have been thinking of moving the 45s horizontally in each corner with flow in 2 directions one way for front surface and back surface flow. I was going to add 2 Neptune WAVs for surface flow since they plug right in to 832. Are the WAVs really that bad?

3xl 900 nice! IDK I have never owned the WAV but from what i read they could be better. I was really hoping neptune would de a V2 on them as they are nice that they do plug into the EB832 deff. a saling point in my option. but they seem to fail more than they work . that is the impression I get over the years anyway.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two ReefWave 45's on the back wall of my 100g for almost a year now and like their performance very much. The app can be tricky for some routers, but RS tech support prevailed for me.
A lot of stuff needs 2.4Ghz, but that was really the only challenge (just switching my phone to the other network).

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a couple MP60s. Love the swappable wet sides, make maintainence easy. Work great on the condition that you don't mind the cost and the giant thing sticking off the side of your tank. They're doubtlessly a bit of an eyesore unless you have them on the back.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a couple MP60s. Love the swappable wet sides, make maintainence easy. Work great on the condition that you don't mind the cost and the giant thing sticking off the side of your tank. They're doubtlessly a bit of an eyesore unless you have them on the back.

I think 2x MP60 is well out side of my humble budget. but might be able to pull off a pair of MP40s on the back wall of the peninsula.

but working with coral vue for a fix for my FX350 gyre hopefully that comes through.
but if not it's good to have a back up plan.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3xl 900 nice! IDK I have never owned the WAV but from what i read they could be better. I was really hoping neptune would de a V2 on them as they are nice that they do plug into the EB832 deff. a saling point in my option. but they seem to fail more than they work . that is the impression I get over the years anyway.
My 2 RS 45s and 1 RS 25 create great flow but I do have to run them at 80-100% to get what I want. I did order 2 Neptune WAVS and will use them for surface wave. Hopefully I will be able to run them all A 50-60% to get what I want. The way I figure it is kind of like running a car. If you run it at 100 mph all the time it will wear out quick but at 50 it will last. I will find out. Good luck

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked Tunze for my build. I wanted to be able to adjust the angle when mounted to the back wall of the tank and be able to integrate with GHL.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 RS 45s and 1 RS 25 create great flow but I do have to run them at 80-100% to get what I want. I did order 2 Neptune WAVS and will use them for surface wave. Hopefully I will be able to run them all A 50-60% to get what I want. The way I figure it is kind of like running a car. If you run it at 100 mph all the time it will wear out quick but at 50 it will last. I will find out. Good luck
is this on your 240 gallon system?

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gyres are good until they arent . Too much work to keep them working , just break down too much . Mp40s still the way to go imo

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyres are good until they arent . Too much work to keep them working , just break down too much . Mp40s still the way to go imo
I might end up going that way. I hope not, not looking to drop 800 bucks on PH but if I have to then i guess I will. so far they seem to be the best bet if I cant get a replacement Gyre.

if the reef breeds RPM could hold on to 3/4" glass I would consider 4X of them as well.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back