Best power heads for 36 inch long 40g AIO?

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking for some recommendations for power heads for my 40g IM NUVO 40l.

Im between a few options.

option 1. - get a maxspect gyre 2k and run that with my hygger

option 2 - sell me hygger with my old tank and get a Nero 5 and just run that with my pump

option 3 - get another hygger and just run 2 of those

option 4 - keep my one hygger and get a Nero 3 in addition.

the tank will be mixed reef but more lps than SPS. any recommendations would be appreciated!

PXL_20221216_235253469.jpg

Last edited:

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I run two Nero 3 in a 70 for a mixed FOWLR. And only run at 65% - 25% random. One on each end one high for surface disruption and other lower.

Depending on corals and flow requirements two Nero 5 might work, but could be awful strong in a 40.

Will this have a sump and return? If not I would err on the high side as you can reduce the flow on 5’s but only so much you can get out of 3’s.

I love my Neros, but did end up adding Maxspect gyros in my 200 gallon tanks.

I especially Ike the options for different flows and programs in the AI app. I run their prime lights on that FOWLR and hydras on my larger tanks, so for me having one app to control all is a plus as well.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two Nero 3 in a 70 for a mixed FOWLR. And only run at 65% - 25% random. One on each end one high for surface disruption and other lower.

Depending on corals and flow requirements two Nero 5 might work, but could be awful strong in a 40.

Will this have a sump and return? If not I would err on the high side as you can reduce the flow on 5’s but only so much you can get out of 3’s.

I love my Neros, but did end up adding Maxspect gyros in my 200 gallon tanks.

I especially Ike the options for different flows and programs in the AI app. I run their prime lights on that FOWLR and hydras on my larger tanks, so for me having one app to control all is a plus as well.
it's an all in one so no sump. I want a good amount of flow in the tank, but I also don't want a ton of wavemakers everywhere. was thing a maxspect gyre with my current pump is probably enough but not sure if a gye would be overkill.

Pseudoskill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on your aquascape, but I have the same tank and was actually debating going without a powerhead. It seems like I have a ton of flow just from the stock return pump. I just have the returns angled towards their respective corners and it looks like there's plenty of water movement.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on your aquascape, but I have the same tank and was actually debating going without a powerhead. It seems like I have a ton of flow just from the stock return pump. I just have the returns angled towards their respective corners and it looks like there's plenty of water movement.
pump definitely gets a ton of water agitation, but I want movement at different levels of the tank. first to stop detritus buildup and second because I plan on having a good amount of corals.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe I'll just see how the tank does with the pump and just my current wavemaker first.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
it's an all in one so no sump. I want a good amount of flow in the tank, but I also don't want a ton of wavemakers everywhere. was thing a maxspect gyre with my current pump is probably enough but not sure if a gye would be overkill.
I have the Maxspect fx350 and it is overkill for my 7’ 200 gallon tanks. I don’t know which you have, but the dude really moves everything. I feel better control with the Nero’s. 5’s would probably be the best.

Easy enough to get 1 5 and try with your gyre. Then change out if not happy.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back