Best price on 50 to 55gallon reef ready tank

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who has the best price deal on a 50 to 55gallon reef ready tank. So far it seems like SCA has the best prices, Some others come close but like with glasscages when they want 300+ for shipping it kind of looses with the shipping cost.

Any place else I might have missed.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the SCA aquariums, but their sumps leave something to be desired. The return pumps and skimmer do not look very good to me either. With that said I will be doing my next build with the SCA 80 or 90 depending on the stand. I also don't trust MDF stands. I doubt if you can find a better deal. Send him an email and he will work with you. Good Luck!

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends a lot on what quality level you want. It looks like the SCA 50 gallon is $500. You can get an Aqueon for about $150 but it has a rim and you would need to drill it and build the overflow. On the other hand, you can get an Aqueon 90 reef ready with same footprint as a 55 gallon for less that $450 and an Aqueon 125 reef ready for less that $600. I had a LFS order me one of each last June and they gave me a pretty good discount. They do have rims, but I couldn't justify paying $100's more for rimless.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends a lot on what quality level you want. It looks like the SCA 50 gallon is $500. You can get an Aqueon for about $150 but it has a rim and you would need to drill it and build the overflow. On the other hand, you can get an Aqueon 90 reef ready with same footprint as a 55 gallon for less that $450 and an Aqueon 125 reef ready for less that $600. I had a LFS order me one of each last June and they gave me a pretty good discount. They do have rims, but I couldn't justify paying $100's more for rimless.
Will see if I can find a aqueon local, Most of what they list that sells that brand is petco and i know they do not have the reef ready tanks or have not seen them on their website anyway.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you are located in Virginia. I ordered mine at a LFS in Virginia Beach. I called several, got prices over the phone, ordered them, picked them up a week later. I'm 120 miles away at Cape Hatteras.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you are located in Virginia. I ordered mine at a LFS in Virginia Beach. I called several, got prices over the phone, ordered them, picked them up a week later. I'm 120 miles away at Cape Hatteras.
How much did you pay in Virginia beach and what is the name of the place?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last June,
$373 for the 90 gallon-single oveflow, $540 for the 125 gallon-double overflow, before tax.
Fish Safari, Virginia Beach

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both were drilled. The 90 had one overflow weir and two holes, the 125 had two overflow weirs each with two holes. The pipes and bulkhead fittings were included. You can see pictures of them on the aqueon web site. The also have a 75 gallon version for I think $325. Same footprint as the 90, just a few inches shorter.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both were drilled. The 90 had one overflow weir and two holes, the 125 had two overflow weirs each with two holes. The pipes and bulkhead fittings were included. You can see pictures of them on the aqueon web site. The also have a 75 gallon version for I think $325. Same footprint as the 90, just a few inches shorter.
okay is the 75 gallon about a similar footprint of a 50 or a 55? What about a stand to hold this beast? for a 75 would size sump? Would a 20 work or have to go to a 40 gallon? Guessing can use one of those sump kits to convert a 20 or a 40 gallon into a sump

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48 1/2 x 18 1/2 footprint.
I built a DIY stand using 2 x 4's. I built it a little taller than standard aquarium stands so I don't have to bend over to observe the tank. That also gave me more room on the bottom shelf for the sump. DIY sump using a 29 gallon Petco $1 per gallon special. Same footprint for the 29 as for the 20 gallon but the tank has more capacity to absorb overflow during power failures or when cleaning and the return pump is off. You can use one of the sump kits to build or, in my case, I used 12 x 12 inch ceramic tiles from Home Depot @ $.49 each. You could also have glass panes cut for the baffles, but they wanted $5+ for each pane at the glass shop which was ridiculous for what I needed.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48 1/2 x 18 1/2 footprint.
I built a DIY stand using 2 x 4's. I built it a little taller than standard aquarium stands so I don't have to bend over to observe the tank. That also gave me more room on the bottom shelf for the sump. DIY sump using a 29 gallon Petco $1 per gallon special. Same footprint for the 29 as for the 20 gallon but the tank has more capacity to absorb overflow during power failures or when cleaning and the return pump is off. You can use one of the sump kits to build or, in my case, I used 12 x 12 inch ceramic tiles from Home Depot @ $.49 each. You could also have glass panes cut for the baffles, but they wanted $5+ for each pane at the glass shop which was ridiculous for what I needed.
I am not too handy for building DIY stands. Has to be something out there that wont break the bank that can hold it

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YouTube has step by step videos. Just need 2x4s a sheet of plywood, saw, drill and a measuring tape. I built one for my 90g and it was simple

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With this kind of setup if I do not go SCA. What return pump and protien skimmer for this setup?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-here is one youtube video

Joey, The King of DIY has a bunch of videos in addition to this one for stands of different sizes.

Return pumps and protein skimmers abound.

Depends on what size you settle on for both tank and sump so you can determine the flow rate you want to have. Prices vary according to the features you choose. I recommend a dc return pump because its easier to adjust than an ac. Probably would look for a flow rate of 10 times an hour , so for example a 100 gallon tank, about 1000 gallons per hour.

You can find a lot of what you might need on Amazon, on Bulk Reef Supply, even some at Petco or Chewy.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-here is one youtube video

Joey, The King of DIY has a bunch of videos in addition to this one for stands of different sizes.

Return pumps and protein skimmers abound.

Depends on what size you settle on for both tank and sump so you can determine the flow rate you want to have. Prices vary according to the features you choose. I recommend a dc return pump because its easier to adjust than an ac. Probably would look for a flow rate of 10 times an hour , so for example a 100 gallon tank, about 1000 gallons per hour.

You can find a lot of what you might need on Amazon, on Bulk Reef Supply, even some at Petco or Chewy.

Would be more then likly a 75 gallon tank

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen reports of the 65 gallon aqueon tanks leaking. Anyone had this happen or see reports on the 75 gallon tank? Maybe a good idea to add more silicone to the seams when you get one?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the 125 and 90 aqueons running for 9 months now, no problems, no extra silicone. I have 2 aqueon 29 gallons I use for sumps, no problem. I have 2 aqueon 20 gallons I use for QT/grow out tanks, no problem.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back