Best pump for 215g // 40g sump

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to have a back up pump on hand, what is the best, quietest...non bank breaking pump out there?
I currently have a "Current USA eFlux DC Flow Pump", bought less than 2 yrs ago for $160, now it's double the price on Amazon! I was thinking of picking up a second one as back up, but I don't want to pay double.

The past couple of days I've been having issues with my tank, something is overpowering the Apex fusion and it's shutting off and back on, then off etc. I turned off the sump, 2 Wav's and the reactor, less power being used will hopefully keep it safe while I figure out what is going on and how to fix it.
I'm buying a voltage probe too. Trying to eliminate one thing at a time to figure out what is causing the power issue, thought it was my skimmer, unplugged for a full 24 hrs with no issues, then tonight, it started again!
All of this made me think "what if my pump broke, I'd be screwed"! SO back up / future replacement pump needed! Suggestions?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about using a Fluval SP4 I will be using one on my 250 gallon tank, it is an AC pump, it is a big pump so making it fit might be a challenge.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about using a Fluval SP4 I will be using one on my 250 gallon tank, it is an AC pump, it is a big pump so making it fit might be a challenge.

I have a Trigger systems sump, the pump I currently have, just fits in there. Sounds like this one is much bigger?
10.2 x 6.9 x 7.3" are the dimensions of the Eflux, according to Amazon :) I have little space left.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I find it I will measure it for you. I had to pull it, it was too powerful for my 120 tank and horrible overflow.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I find it I will measure it for you. I had to pull it, it was too powerful for my 120 tank and horrible overflow.
Thanks. The think I like about my current pump is the ability to adjust it, you might like one of these, they come in different sizes, I have the biggest one that unfortunately doubled in price in the past year! The smaller ones are cheaper.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DC pump on my 120 now. Unfortunately it is on full blast, but the soft start is really nice.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have run current USA dc pumps. Not impressed. One went dead, changed controller, then went dead 6 mos later. Another one had the gph fall way off. Cleaning made no change. No damage to impeller. It just dramatically slowed.
Think Jebao is a better option. Have them on many tanks no problems.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have run current USA dc pumps. Not impressed. One went dead, changed controller, then went dead 6 mos later. Another one had the gph fall way off. Cleaning made no change. No damage to impeller. It just dramatically slowed.
Think Jebao is a better option. Have them on many tanks no problems.
I wonder if the issue I was/am having with my tank is related to the pump, maybe it's on it's way out. I still don't know what is wrong or how to figure it out and fix it. My tank is running on the bare minimum right now, pump and lights, I shut everything else off.
I'm not home all day, if it starts flicking on and off repeatedly again, I'm afraid of what I'll come home to. At a complete loss here.

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your apex problem could be that it needs a update
Mine had been doing same powering down then back on sometimes 3 or 4 times in a row
There is a update available the is suppose to fix the issue I downloaded last week so far haven’t had problem sense
And you could go with a jebao dc pump
I use a dct 6000 on a 180 tank penalty of power

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex Fusion auto updates, it's a web app.
I wonder if they are planning an update that fixes this problem...I'll have to look into that. If it's not the Apex Fusion, I have no idea, I had my sump off because of this and then it went and did it again! Who know how often it has happened when no one is around. I would think I'd get some kind of alerts from the Apex...I mean, isn't that part of their thing?

I'm going to check out the Jebao pumps :)

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your apex problem could be that it needs a update
Mine had been doing same powering down then back on sometimes 3 or 4 times in a row
There is a update available the is suppose to fix the issue I downloaded last week so far haven’t had problem sense
And you could go with a jebao dc pump
I use a dct 6000 on a 180 tank penalty of power
6000? I use that on my 40b lol. I agree, it’s a good pump.

For the op’s Tank I’d go with the dcp 10000 for that system volume, that gives you a maximum of 2641 gph, that’s about perfect for 255gal system.

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to Neptune web site and there’s a firmware update for the apex classic follow the instructions and download

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to Neptune web site and there’s a firmware update for the apex classic follow the instructions and download

Thanks, yes I saw that, but it's not the system I have. I watched the video too and it's a different unit.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a jebao 20000 on my 160. 5000+ gph. Everything from reactors, chiller, UV is plumbed into it. I only have to run it on 70%. Good pump especially for the price and it's dead silent. I'm currently planning my next build and the price of most pumps it's just absurd and I'll likely stick with Jebao.

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it’s for all
What apex do you have ?
Sounds like same problem I had so I believe you should give them a call to see

Last edited:
OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it’s for all
What apex do you have ?
Sounds like same problem I had so I believe you should give them a call to see
It's the Apex Fusion, it's wireless. I did find the info in the app and it says it's up to date with the latest aos.
If you read the info about the fusion it says its a web app and never needs updating, that it's always up to date. I have had to reset the connection a few times, but that doesn't affect anything other than my ability to access it from my phone.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Jebao pump has horrendous reviews, lol I'm surprised no one here is having issues with them.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only one who uses an AC pump like Iwaki still? I feel they're the best!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back