BEST Pumps & Wavemakers for MAKING TANK WAVES

BRS

Do you care whether or not you have wave action in your reef tank?

• YES

Votes: 258 40.6%
  • SOMEWHAT

Votes: 179 28.1%
  • NO

Votes: 192 30.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 1.1%

• Total voters

Dennon 2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I would with tunze, I did before, several of their pumps have auto pulse mode and point up at the surface to make it easy. I have a high water alarm now and not much clearance on the waterbox to the lip so I don’t now.

just a heads up, the owner of miracles, some of the best custom tanks in North America, told me standing waves are hard on the silicone and will shorten the tank life. I trust him to know what he is talking about. He made me a custom 120g out of 3/4” glass for the purpose of a standing wave and he didn’t trust 1/2” long term for it. Which long term for miracles is a very long time, granted. Just FYI

Tunze also states that you will likely be cutting the lifespan of your aquarium in half by using their various wave boxes.

Dennon 2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Do I care if there is wave action in my aquarium? Yes I care. But I voted other because I don’t want wave action, nor do I want any visible equipment. I know that I may end with those dimestore silicone jellyfish instead of anything living in my aquarium. I am a nube and I may be forced to change my approach, and that is okay. Starting off.... no visible equipment and I will be going with a reverse flow under gravel filter. That’s it for rules for now.

zoa what

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Not sure about waves, but she moves water

Over It Reaction GIF

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
SO, with some exceptions, as I used to watch Jaques Cousteau, I dont see waves reacting on deeper corals in his shows much.. some Gorgs in shallower water and a sponge or two. I would assume a set it and forget it method.. run one variable speed PH and thats about it. I like ripple effect from the lights so I do ripple the surface.. but full tank rocking waves? dont need it......

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I definitely like a wave in my aquarium. I love the look of long tentacle LPS corals bouncing along with wave action. Theres also something about the way that the fish bob back and forth in the water that just does it for me. When I get around to creating a schedule for my wave pumps, I will definitely have a period of wave action in my tank during viewing times. That said, I don't think that a wave is necessary or the best type of flow. I just think it's the most enjoyable to look at.

BRS

Do you house a "Reef Safe" Angelfish in your reef tank?

• YES and it's going good

Votes: 196 40.9%
  • YES but it's not working out

Votes: 13 2.7%
  • NO I have tried it in the past and it didn't work out

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • NO I haven't tried yet

Votes: 211 44.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 3.1%
The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle by VCA