Best QT tank size for my 20 gallon and questions about starting it up.

Ibby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 20 gallon with two clowns and want to get more fish. I want to go the safe route and QT them so I wanted to know the best size suitable for my QT tank.

I only plan on using the QT tank for 30 days of QT then will dump the water after and put that tank away unless there is an emergency. I was planning on getting a couple more fish but which fish are best compatible with clowns that can fit a 20 gallon? I was thinking about a 10 gallon but wasn't sure what a sufficient size would be.

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/starter-kits/marineland-10-gallon-biowheel-led-aquarium-kit-17298.html

This is the tank I was looking at if a 10 gallon is suitable.

I've heard good reviews on this bottle to get your tank cycled to put livestock within a week if that is true, should I purchase this to start off my QT tank?

How long do I have to wait when I start my QT tank to put fish in there?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

alveopora guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ivy welcome to reef2reef! For a qt tank I would run a 10 gallon. They are cheap and will fit any fish short term for the 20 gallon. To get it started I always use water from a water change on my main tank to get the qt started. You don’t need to add anything like bacteria as it will just die if you need to dose any kind of chemicals into the qt. As for fish I love shrimp gobies and pistol shrimp. They will pair up and make tunnels in the sand together. They are super cool!

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gal is good for QT. Can add any fish w clowns except angler fish and more clowns, but In 20 gal DT not much choice. Can try firefish, chromis or cardinal?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back