Best return pumps in the industry: Who gets your vote?

Best Return Pump in the Industry

• Abyzz

• Blueline

• Danner Mag Drive

• Dolphin / Poseidon

• Ecotech Vectra

• Eheim

• Fluval

• Iwaki

• Jebao / Jecod

• Neptune

• Pan World

• Red Dragon

• Reeflo

• Reef Octopus VarioS

• Sicce

• Simplicity

• Skimz

• Waterblaster

• Waveline

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Reef Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a water blaster from coralvue and last 8 years till die

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am somewhat new to this so 0ut of curiosity why are you against using DC pumps?

edit: see this was addressed later in the thread, but still wanted to answer directly.

IMO, DC pumps have their purpose, but I personally don't feel that they're best suited for return pumps. AC pumps:

- are less prone to breakage (my top priority for return pumps)
- require less frequent cleaning
- have fewer potential points of failure

The variable flow options for DC pumps are nice, but I don't find that very useful beyond initial setup. The power savings are undeniable, so that's a trade off, for sure. IMO, they're much better suited to wave making duty, where the programming and variability are more helpful, and more frequent cleaning is less of a problem. Return pumps are the heart of your system and I prioritize reliability on this.

I know this isn't a popular opinion on the topic and don't fault anyone for having different priorities. I'm definitely an old fart in this regard... stay off my lawn. :p

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OF here as well .....

Reliable, proven AC pump chez moi as well. Got 20 years of continuous use (cleaned maybe twice) out of my Iwaki; now 10 years out of my panworld/blue line. That is 'best' to me.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
OF here as well .....

Reliable, proven AC pump chez moi as well. Got 20 years of continuous use (cleaned maybe twice) out of my Iwaki; now 10 years out of my panworld/blue line. That is 'best' to me.

You have it right as to what is best! People think that an Apple-like approach to advertising/marketing/packaging makes for best pump <eyes rolled>

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, DC is only better in power consumption vs AC. And in this reef business of encrusting organisms and calcification, external pumps are better. No heat exchange with water. No electric motor in the water, and when it comes time to do maintenance a lot easier to undo 2 unions and clean. Iwaki reliable and quietest. Currently running blueline for a bunch of years and very dependable but noisy. I ran little giants for years too but again noisy!
I dropped 2 degrees switching my pcx55hp to a sicce 9.0 that I also run external. So yes, you do have heat exchange but even less with dc pumps.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm shocked to see all the positive reviews with Danner. Mine has made so much noise since day one, constantly needs to be cleaned from Calcium build up and now had the loudest rattling internally. I've been unhappy since I installed it and now looking to replace.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm shocked to see all the positive reviews with Danner. Mine has made so much noise since day one, constantly needs to be cleaned from Calcium build up and now had the loudest rattling internally. I've been unhappy since I installed it and now looking to replace.
They only got 4.7% of the vote so far.
Danner mag drive pumps have been around a long time and are workhorse pumps.
I've had a couple that remained somewhat quiet for a year or so, but all have gradually gotten louder. But they continue to pump.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the question should be.. If YOU are on life support Which pump do you want to use?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what the best pump is however I like the Water blaster I have now. The best pump Iv'e used so far.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be shocked if anyone would choose any low voltage DC pumps if that was the case. I'd be running an Iwaki or Panworld.
Actually the pumps they use in LVADs (left ventricular assist devices) are centrifugal DC pumps. I think the manufacturing specs are a bit higher than Jaebao’s, though!

CMatlosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jabeo Gets my vote.

"Best" is a very subjective term though and can often change depending on your goal. For me to comes down to value, I run a DCP-10000 I got off amazon for 100 bucks. The thing is dead silent, pumps water through 6 feet head like a beast and has a controller with as many features as I need. It's hard for me to justify spending 3 or 4 times as much on a pump with the same features and quality. Even if I replace 2 or 3 of them due to "quality" issues of Chinese pumps I still come out ahead.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jabeo Gets my vote.

"Best" is a very subjective term though and can often change depending on your goal. For me to comes down to value, I run a DCP-10000 I got off amazon for 100 bucks. The thing is dead silent, pumps water through 6 feet head like a beast and has a controller with as many features as I need. It's hard for me to justify spending 3 or 4 times as much on a pump with the same features and quality. Even if I replace 2 or 3 of them due to "quality" issues of Chinese pumps I still come out ahead.
Not if it dies out on you after a year and everything dies

Bruno516

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently using a WaterBlaster HY-5000 and can't say anything bad about it, no issues and it seems to be doing its job. I do want a EcoTech Vectra in the future though.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AC return pump like quiet ones or externals . Put them there and they are good for 10+ yrs.

CMatlosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if it dies out on you after a year and everything dies

My tank, and I think most others, would be capable of running for days, if not weeks without a return pump. The level would fall in the display and just cut off the sump and carbon reactor, not a huge deal. Regardless you could apply the same logic to systems designed with a single return pump of ANY brand. Having personally lost a pricey Sicce Silent after about a year and various smaller skimmer/utility pumps over time, I don't have much faith in any of them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back