Best return pumps in the industry: Who gets your vote?

Best Return Pump in the Industry

• Abyzz

• Blueline

• Danner Mag Drive

• Dolphin / Poseidon

• Ecotech Vectra

• Eheim

• Fluval

• Iwaki

• Jebao / Jecod

• Neptune

• Pan World

• Red Dragon

• Reeflo

• Reef Octopus VarioS

• Sicce

• Simplicity

• Skimz

• Waterblaster

• Waveline

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had an AC Danner pump for 2 years, the pump has no doubt also lost power just like DC complaints only the Danner I'm tossing is beyond loud. I've struggled to deal with the rattles too many way for too long and the flow is about half of what it was day one.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s weird. I have a 13 year old Mag 7 that is just as strong as it was on day 1... original impeller too. Ran as my return pump for almost 8 years. It’s my mixing pump now. Not the most quiet pump by any means, but definitely a workhorse.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a Mag 7 that I bought in 2003 pretty much wore out but still useable, I was bummed to find my new Mag 3 that I purchased a few years ago to have a cracked elec. wire at the base of the pump, I never got to use it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if I replace 2 or 3 of them due to "quality" issues of Chinese pumps I still come out ahead.

Unless the pump failure takes down your tank - then you'll be hard pressed to come out ahead.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s weird. I have a 13 year old Mag 7 that is just as strong as it was on day 1... original impeller too. Ran as my return pump for almost 8 years. It’s my mixing pump now. Not the most quiet pump by any means, but definitely a workhorse.

In order to slow/stop flow for feeding I just unplug my Danner. Would the plugging / unplugging just about daily cause my pump to have these ratteling and noise issues?

CMatlosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I understand the sarcasm and negativity towards my comment on this post. The poll was asking for opinions - I gave mine given one of the options already in the poll. At no point did I claim my tank would last "months" without a return pump nor did I suggest my opinion was right, wrong, or better than anyone else's.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
In order to slow/stop flow for feeding I just unplug my Danner. Would the plugging / unplugging just about daily cause my pump to have these ratteling and noise issues?
Seems to me it would have to add to the wear on the pump.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I understand the sarcasm and negativity towards my comment on this post. The poll was asking for opinions - I gave mine given one of the options already in the poll. At no point did I claim my tank would last "months" without a return pump nor did I suggest my opinion was right, wrong, or better than anyone else's.

My comment was neither intended as sarcasm nor negativity; simply an observation that perhaps people don't consider loss of livestock when buying cheap return pumps. I run a panworld on my tank because I'm confident it will last me a decade. I simply won't risk the sizable investment that are my fish and corals to something that is of questionable quality. To do so is to be penny wise, pound foolish as the old saying goes.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kinda interesting to see the top picks.

Reliability .. Danner Mag Drive pumps.. (Average water movement )
Pros...
Super Reliable..
Can get Parts anywhere..
Con ..
Can be Loud (usually higher volume pumps.. ) MY Mag drive 24 is LOUD.. MY 20 Year old mag 9 not so much .
Adds heat to the water .. This could be good for some tanks such as basement sumps and very cold climates .
Reeflo pumps
They just work but require changing out a 25.00 seal once every year or so .. (These pumps are SUPER HEAVY DUTY)

Pros
Run forever
It will NEVER DIE..
Almost complete silence
no heat

Con... You have to change out 25.00 seals every year or so takes about 30 minutes .
Con They are not so energy efficient

ALL DC PUMP

PRO... Claim of using less power... But I am not so sure if you calculate controller and converter consumption.
Pro/ Con Puts off less heat in the water.

Con... Electronically controlled so could last for ever or die in a flash .
con. The tend to not like being dirty... Reg cleaning is a MUST.

Number 1... REEFLO... THEY JUST WORK.... (NOT best for under tank sump without water proofing under pump.....) Great Support... But not as good as Danner...
Number 2.. Danner pumps.. Rather its a aquarium pump. Pond pump or sump pump. They run forever and parts are everywhere for them.. SOMEONE PICKS UP THE PHONE IF YOU Call and OWN YOUR PROBLEM..

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kinda interesting to see the top picks.

Reliability .. Danner Mag Drive pumps.. (Average water movement )
Pros...
Super Reliable..
Can get Parts anywhere..
Con ..
Can be Loud (usually higher volume pumps.. ) MY Mag drive 24 is LOUD.. MY 20 Year old mag 9 not so much .
Adds heat to the water .. This could be good for some tanks such as basement sumps and very cold climates .
Reeflo pumps
They just work but require changing out a 25.00 seal once every year or so .. (These pumps are SUPER HEAVY DUTY)

Pros
Run forever
It will NEVER DIE..
Almost complete silence
no heat

Con... You have to change out 25.00 seals every year or so takes about 30 minutes .
Con They are not so energy efficient

ALL DC PUMP

PRO... Claim of using less power... But I am not so sure if you calculate controller and converter consumption.
Pro/ Con Puts off less heat in the water.

Con... Electronically controlled so could last for ever or die in a flash .
con. The tend to not like being dirty... Reg cleaning is a MUST.

Number 1... REEFLO... THEY JUST WORK.... (NOT best for under tank sump without water proofing under pump.....) Great Support... But not as good as Danner...
Number 2.. Danner pumps.. Rather its a aquarium pump. Pond pump or sump pump. They run forever and parts are everywhere for them.. SOMEONE PICKS UP THE PHONE IF YOU Call and OWN YOUR PROBLEM..
Impressive summation!!!!!

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based in my systems in the last 12 years:

AC Set it and forget it
1)Danner Mag’s
2)Eheim
3)Sicce’s

DC most reliable one [emoji121]️:
Vectras L1/M1, Ecotech Marine service is second to none, outstanding.

Was a beta tester from Neptune with the COR 20, lots of power and a big plus connected to our apex the options are endless. Swap my Vectra for a COR 15 and so far flying colors, let’s see in three years...

Happy reefing [emoji106][emoji225][emoji886]

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always said that I wish Ehiem made bigger than the 1262 in that style. They last FOREVER! Just not a lot of flow.
I'd also like to see a DC pump without the controller. I'm sure it adds cost and for sure more points to break. I like them for lower power and heat which is a big deal in S. TX.
I've had good luck with Quiet One in the past. Actually, if you look at one of the Sicce model lines I'm pretty sure they're made by Quite One.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always said that I wish Ehiem made bigger than the 1262 in that style. They last FOREVER! Just not a lot of flow.
I'd also like to see a DC pump without the controller. I'm sure it adds cost and for sure more points to break. I like them for lower power and heat which is a big deal in S. TX.
I've had good luck with Quiet One in the past. Actually, if you look at one of the Sicce model lines I'm pretty sure they're made by Quite One.

The whole ac to dc conversion thing .There has to be conversion someplace Rather the dc was a fixed speed or not

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a Mag 7 that I bought in 2003 pretty much wore out but still useable, I was bummed to find my new Mag 3 that I purchased a few years ago to have a cracked elec. wire at the base of the pump, I never got to use it.

They have 5- 10 year warranty on most of them.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back