Best return pumps in the industry: Who gets your vote?

Best Return Pump in the Industry

• Abyzz

• Blueline

• Danner Mag Drive

• Dolphin / Poseidon

• Ecotech Vectra

• Eheim

• Fluval

• Iwaki

• Jebao / Jecod

• Neptune

• Pan World

• Red Dragon

• Reeflo

• Reef Octopus VarioS

• Sicce

• Simplicity

• Skimz

• Waterblaster

• Waveline

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

GQuinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of D.C. return pumps. So this eliminates a lot of these.

I am also considering price and what the average reefer can afford, durability and proven.

Danner Mag drive hands down.

I've got pumps that have been in operation for 13 years. Not one single issue, EVER.

The only trouble with the new Mag drives is that they are now made in China. So I expect the quality/durability to go downhill.

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running Reeflow Dart/snapper return pump for 5 years now without any problems.I do not know if it is best return pump. But it is best for me.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only trouble with the new Mag drives is that they are now made in China. So I expect the quality/durability to go downhill.

Well that's unfortunate... glad I've got a few spare impellers I'll probably never use lol.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I'm bored here in my cubicle I couldn't help but notice something about some of the pump options in the poll. Specifically, the pumps that have been out for two years or less. How could it be said that they are the best when their long term reliability has not been proven over time? Right now the Vectra is in the lead, but I'm afraid most people are voting based on what they think is cool and popular, not truly what is best at any particular price point.
On the other end of the spectrum is the Jebao pumps now coming in at second place beating Sicce. Yes, they are affordably priced and have a following because of that and that they seem to work however also with questionable long term reliability. But when looking at all factors, would everyone agree a Jebao is best? I feel like this pole could be renamed What are the most popular pumps?

Completely agree. Jebao is the most unreliable of the bunch. Seems people just vote on what they have.

However, Ecotech is a known brand to be reliable in all of their products. Yes, they had a hiccup with the M1 Vectra, but corrected it quickly and warranted the pumps affected.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's tough to use this poll for a decision like yours due to the lack of context. You'll have to consider ammount of flow needed, head pressure ratings etc. Best of luck with your new tank!

I know. I've considered everything including flow rate and head height, and I have already narrowed it down to 3 pumps. Reliability will be the deciding factor. I'm not taking into account any votes or opinions on a pump unless they've had it for 3 years, at the verrryy least.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2x el cheapo deep blue pond pumps. A water level sensor will activate and tell me if one has died (who needs fmm?)

In 5 years a motor has never died, only a shaft.

They are so cheap I keep a spare in the closet.

Wh00pS32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely agree. Jebao is the most unreliable of the bunch. Seems people just vote on what they have.

However, Ecotech is a known brand to be reliable in all of their products. Yes, they had a hiccup with the M1 Vectra, but corrected it quickly and warranted the pumps affected.

Rev's first post asked the question "Help us out by posting your favorite pump manufacturer" so it does not matter if Jebao/Jecod is unreliable when they are afforable and available and do the job.
Of course people are voting on what they have, are people supposed to vote for a pump they have no experience of?

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree if it didnt heat up my tank when pushed over setting 5!

I'm a fan of my Vectra M1... gives me plenty of flow through the sump as well as being able to power my external Skimmer via a manifold. And it runs 100% silent.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polls like this are really not terribly useful - very few people have experience with more than a few pumps, and Even then frequently only one unit.

The main considerations with a pump are capacity, ability to handle head pressure, power consumption, heat transfer, noise and reliability. The first 24can be simply measured. Noise can be a bit dependent on the the plumbing and other factors, but isn't too hard to measure objectively.

Reliability is another issue - most of what we see are anecdotal reports, and it's virtually impossible to deduce a failure rate from a reports on a web site as there tends to be a negative bias in reporting and no correction for the number of units in use. Related to this is customer service.

What would be more helpful is a survey of all users regarding what pumps they've owned, how long they were in use and if they had any problems.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran mag drives for years but got tired of them not starting back up. Running the current eflux 1900 for about a year, so far very pleased and have had no 8ssues to report yet. Plenty of great choices out there though.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev's first post asked the question "Help us out by posting your favorite pump manufacturer" so it does not matter if Jebao/Jecod is unreliable when they are afforable and available and do the job.
Of course people are voting on what they have, are people supposed to vote for a pump they have no experience of?

Quite a few people have experience with multiple pumps, not just one. Ya know, the whole multiple tank thing? Your experience is not everyone's experience. And if you do only have experience with one pump, and it sucks, you would probably vote for it anyway. That's not helping the discussion. And read the title while you're at it... "Best Return Pumps In The Industry."

Can you sit there with a straight face and say that Jebao is the best in the industry? They may accomplish the task for a bit, but are far from the best. So don't come at me with your bs without considering other possibilities besides your own.

Last edited:

Wh00pS32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite a few people have experience with multiple pumps, not just one. Ya know, the whole multiple tank thing? Your experience is not everyone's experience. And if you do only have experience with one pump, and it sucks, you would probably vote for it anyway. That's not helping the discussion. And read the title while you're at it... "Best Return Pumps In The Industry."

Can you sit there with a straight face and say that Jebao is the best in the industry? They may accomplish the task for a bit, but are far from the best. So don't come at me with your bs without considering other possibilities besides your own.

lol, you seem very bitter against Jeboa, did they touch you in the wrong place or something?
Why can't you understand that for certain peoples needs that they are the best, why should they go out and spend 399 on a Vectra when they can spend 100 on say a DCP4000 and it will do the exact same job just as well, maybe not for as long but don't forget you can buy 4 Jebao's for the same money and they are readily available.
Not everyone needs or wants the latest trendy label that's on the market.
I've been reef keeping on and off since 2000, i've bought expensive, cheap and middle of the road products. At the end of the day i use what works for me and honestly don't give a stuff what other people think.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, you seem very bitter against Jeboa, did they touch you in the wrong place or something?
Why can't you understand that for certain peoples needs that they are the best, why should they go out and spend 399 on a Vectra when they can spend 100 on say a DCP4000 and it will do the exact same job just as well, maybe not for as long but don't forget you can buy 4 Jebao's for the same money and they are readily available.
Not everyone needs or wants the latest trendy label that's on the market.
I've been reef keeping on and off since 2000, i've bought expensive, cheap and middle of the road products. At the end of the day i use what works for me and honestly don't give a stuff what other people think.

I have nothing against Jebao or what equipment people choose to use on THEIR setups or what people can afford. What I have a problem with is your wise-@** comments. You come off as an uninformed fanboy, making accusations of which you didn't consider the fact that people have been in this hobby for decades and have used multiple different brands. I started when I was 16, now I'm 39.

It seemed like it hurt your feelings that I said they're unreliable, because in the grand scheme of things, they are the bottom of the barrel as far as quality goes. Cheap Chinese junk IME. Their powerheads are doable, but a return pump is not something I want failing at the wrong time. I rather pay for a reliable model one time than have to keep replacing it.

I don't need the newest gadgets. Don't own an Apex, don't have $1,000 lights. I have almost nothing automated. What I need is equipment I don't have to replace or worry about constantly and gets the job done.

You obviously took this thread to mean what your favorite pump is because it was in the post. I took it to mean what the title said, the best pump in the industry. In actuality we're probably both wrong. Because Mag Drive pumps have been around for decades and work like a tank. So we'll agree to disagree and leave it at that.

If you disagree with something someone says, there's no need to be a tool bag with your response. That's what ticked me off, not Jebao.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back