Best salt mix for LPS/Softies?

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm running low on my Tropic Marin Pro salt and BRS seems to be out of stock so I'll have to switch over for a while.
I was going to get the Red Sea Salt and noticed it said "Ideal for SPS Dominant Systems".

Would I just be wasting money by using this if my tank is all LPS/Softies? If so what's the best alternative to pick up?

Red Sea Mix I'm referring to: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-salt-mix-red-sea.html

Not sure if it matters but this is just for a small 10g tank but I usually buy the largest salt volume available

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm running low on my Tropic Marin Pro salt and BRS seems to be out of stock so I'll have to switch over for a while.
I was going to get the Red Sea Salt and noticed it said "Ideal for SPS Dominant Systems".

Would I just be wasting money by using this if my tank is all LPS/Softies? If so what's the best alternative to pick up?

Red Sea Mix I'm referring to: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-salt-mix-red-sea.html

Not sure if it matters but this is just for a small 10g tank but I usually buy the largest salt volume available

I don’t think there is a best salt mix for any particular set of organisms. All have pros and cons that if taken into account, will lead to fine results.

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular old Instant Ocean should be fine IMO.
Save yourself some money and go with a good basic salt like Instant Ocean

As fine as IO is for most things, I just am not a fan of how dirty it is. Always makes a mess of my mixing containers :/
Plus unless I use the standard IO salt it ends up being more or less the same costs as most other salts based on the BRS Investigates.
Screenshot_2.png

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As fine as IO is for most things, I just am not a fan of how dirty it is. Always makes a mess of my mixing containers :/
Plus unless I use the standard IO salt it ends up being more or less the same costs as most other salts based on the BRS Investigates.
I said Instant Ocean. According to your posted information, it is the cheapest.
I used it for the most part of the first 20 years in the hobby.
I did go to Reef Crystals for a few years and found that was the one that left a brown scum in the mixing barrel.
But it was pretty easy to wipe it out.

Appaloosa1224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Red Sea Salt in my LPS heavy tank and have loved the results.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi everyone,

I missed this part.
So as far as saving money, it would be a real long time before seeing much savings no matter what the cost.
I would be tempted to buy in smaller quantities, just so it doesn't get moisture in it and go bad.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_2.png

Regular instant ocean, like other high alk salt mixes, has some precipitation of calcium carbonate. I see no concern with that and I let it collect for years. It does not have the brown precipitate that reef crystals has.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of good vendors with families to feed and mortgages to pay, so do I. I got a killer deal from petco, they have 35% off plus 10% if you order online then pick-up. I am trying TM pro, 3rd bucket, the only thing I found is that it needs to mix for a few hours or you will see a rise in salinity. Best of luck

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last 30 years I mostly used I/O or Reef Crystals. I think the only other salt I have bothered with is Tropic Marin which I always liked. A 200g box of reef crystals is often as cheap as $45 on Amazon. By accident I recently ordered I/O but hey It works. Add a little more calcium and magnesium and you have reef crystals. I never had the brown scum problem with either but I finally had some RC that snowed but I think it was old and had been in my garage a while. People will say how great a certain salt is but don't buy the hype with overpriced boutique products.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW Amazon has the 200g box of reef crystals back down to $45.84 today and of course free shipping if you have prime. Just grabbed another box and prime delivery showing Friday but typically stuff like that gets here a day or two early from the listed delays.

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW Amazon has the 200g box of reef crystals back down to $45.84 today and of course free shipping if you have prime. Just grabbed another box and prime delivery showing Friday but typically stuff like that gets here a day or two early from the listed delays.

Ended up buying a box of Red Sea because i needed it within the week and Amazon has delayed shipping but now i'll pick up the RC as for down the line. Appreciate the heads up!!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

"Ideal for SPS Dominant Systems".

That's just a marketing ploy, not representing any aspect of salt mixes that is accepted to be better for SPS reefs (there isn't such a thing).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back