Best Saltwater Aquarium Heater? You choose!

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by revhtree, Dec 3, 2012.

1. JBKReef

JBKReef Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

I have heard many a complaint from Apex stating to never use their controller as a primary heater controller, it should only be as a redundant safeguard. I run a eheim jager as my primary and then a 300w Finnex as my back up but it goes through an Inkbird controller first. Relatively cheap piece of equipment that I trust and gives me piece of mind.

2. jasonrusso

jasonrusso Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

I let the heaters (primary and backup) use their own thermostat. I have the Apex cut power to the plug if it gets too hot.

If my heater is set to turn off at 79, I have the outlet shut off at 80 and send me an alert. I also have the backup outlet turn off at 80 in case that gets stuck on also.

My backup heater is set to turn on at 77, if the temp gets to 77, I get an alert.

Now, there may be nothing wrong with the tank, but at least I know something is happening.

ThunderGoose, Genomecop and offtropic like this.
  3. laverda

laverda Well-Known Member

I want redundancy on both heaters. It is probably smart to not rely on the apex for both of them.

4. offtropic

offtropic Member

Yeah that sounds like a good plan. On my nano tank the heater sensor doesn't have much precision so I let the controller (Reefkeeper) control the power to the heater and the temp is rock solid. With the Neotherm precision isn't an issue so I can let the heater control on/off with the Apex as a safety stop. I can put the heater without an internal control on the Apex as a backup (turn on if < 76.5F). I'm not as worried about redundancy on the second heater as I will replace primary almost immediately should it fail.

5. jasonrusso

jasonrusso Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Yes, but you need to set up a program to notify you if it did fail. If my heater turns off at 79, it should never hit 80 unless something is wrong. If it turns on at 78, it should never hit 77 (backup heater set point) unless something is happening. Get the logic?

6. kkegley21

kkegley21 Member

I agree with the Neotherm and a cheap backup. Just set the back up only to kick on at a lower temp.

7. thomas hudson

thomas hudson Member

What heater would you suggest for a Red Sea 650 peninsula tank? 178 gallon totally volume. Or should i go with two so they are not working as hard and have a backup? I am not currently using any kind of controller.

8. Constrictor6090

Constrictor6090 Member

Eheim Jager. Able to calibrate and reliable for the price.

9. OneReef

OneReef Active Member

I like finnex titanium

10. Arcticfirefighter

Arcticfirefighter Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Does anyone use the InkBird ITC-308? It has great reviews on Amazon; however, I really have not seen it mentioned on here too much. My Aqueon Pro 150 heater is set on 83 and my 36 Bow has temp swings from 76.5 to 78.5. Seems like the setting is too far off for me to trust the internal thermostat. Dont have the extra cash for a full controller yet. Screenshot_20180803-091758_Amazon.jpeg

11. reefer wanna be

reefer wanna be Member

So 1 in tank an 1 in sump???

12. redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish Stay Positive, Stay Productive Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

I have both mine in the sump......one in the skimmer area, the other in the return section. The temperature probe is in the return section.

13. reefer wanna be

reefer wanna be Member

Cool i have to do somthing with mine i have a finnex 300 it dont like to stay put thank you

14. shred5

shred5 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

That is best because I had a friend whose main pump went out and no heat in the main tank.

reefer wanna be likes this.
  15. Bertle92

Bertle92 Member

Does anyone have any suggestions for a 10 gallon? Eheim Jager seems to be the popular choice but I am wondering if it may be too long for my tiny tank

16. reefer wanna be

reefer wanna be Member

Some people may not like them an it might be over kill for such a small tank i have finnex 300 not sure if they make them smaller or not

17. molinast

molinast Member

Any suggestions on a heater for 90 gallon with small confine sump.

18. Bayareareefer18

Bayareareefer18 Valuable Member

I've used many heaters over the years and I just used the cobalt no thermos for this build. Very compact and most accurate heater I have used out of the box. I have two 150s in my sump for my 75

19. molinast

molinast Member

49B8AEFA-6C1B-442E-B9A4-06D6C645B357.png
    One of these?

20. JoshH

JoshH Swimming in the deep end... R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

Exactly, 2 150s would be ideal for your setup as @Bayareareefer18 suggested above.

Only been in this hobby a few years and I have used Neotherms from the start, still running my originals and love them!

Draft saved Draft deleted