Best Saltwater Aquarium Heater? You choose!

neo1738

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for BRS heaters. Have a 600w and 300w. Also +1 for Inkbird, has 2 probes one goes in DT one in Sump. Both heaters in sump 1 in fuge 1 in return area. This way if one goes other will hold up and should find out if something is wrong. Never hurts to have redundancy.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running Inovative Marine Helio heating system. I had a fault come up on the controler. Called Inovative Marine and they sent me a new controler. And they added I think 5 more years to my warranty. Yes they are a bit pricey but in my opinion well worth it, and fantastic customer service.

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer titanium heaters on controller, imo heaters are the worse culprit for tank crashing and should never be run without a controller

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 - 300watt heaters on 150 gallons. If one fails no crash. I do have a controller but redundancy gives extra insurance.

Rit6942

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Titanium only. If using a hobby grade element, Finnex are the best. And always run dual elements. Redundancy is key.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most important and dangerous pieces of equipment to use in your reef is a heater! Get a good one and all is well. Get a bad one and you could kill your tank!

In your experience what is the BEST aquarium heater you have used for your reef to date and why?

WhichHeateristheBest.jpg
Cobalt. Hands down. Unbreakable plastic/ceramic and not simply on/off. They heat at differential levels and draw different amounts of current. Never had a problem with them unlike titaniums and glass which I also have.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Eheim Thermocontrol for me. I use 2, 200 watt in my new build for redundancy and an Inkbird 306A controller.

I've used Eheim, the normal versions, in the past and they are highly inaccurate by themselves and need a controller. The thermocontrol are excellent and could work without a controller, no problem.

I choose to use a controller for safety. I've owned about 30 titanium heaters in my time, and every, single one has killed over and usually throws a breaker, etc. You couldn't give me another titanium of any kind.

I also run a titanium grounding probe. Those really work and have saved me a couple of times on faulty powerheads and heaters.

robertifly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed a BRS 1200 (dual 600 titanium) came with an Ink Bird control, I am very impressed with the setup it doesn't run very long or often, also it's WIFI.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly enough, Tetra and Top Fin heaters have worked perfectly for me so far. I'm adding a controller for this build, though, just in case.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Aquael Ultra 75 w heater. So far so good, It fits excellent in my nano tanks chamber 3.

Literary takes under 2 seconds to start flashing that its heating with just as much as a simple cup of water to top the tank up in the morning.

I do pour the water into the 3rd chamber where the heater and return pump is, so I get it detects the change in temp quick and am very impressed in the accuracy of this unit.

I have it set to 78f and when I drop in my Apera PH meter into the water it reads 78.3f and is consistent.

Impetus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont use anything because I dont have an aquarium...

But im planning on getting a 300g DT and a sump.
Since its going to be a new house, the sump is in a seperate room, and I would let the sump get heated by the floor heating controlled by a zone and have a diesel generator as UPS.

Any thoughts on this setup?

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Since its going to be a new house, the sump is in a seperate room, and I would let the sump get heated by the floor heating controlled by a zone and have a diesel generator as UPS.

Heated floors aren't all they're cracked up to be. It would be near impossible to keep a stable temperature relying on that.

I think it would be a solid back up plan in case your heater fails.

A diesel generator? Do you live in a home or a warehouse? Only time I've ever known anyone to use a diesel generator is data centers, hospitals, etc. A bit overkill for a home unless it's 50,000 Sq ft.

But hey, if you're building a home like that, post some pics!

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you have floor heating with pex tubing, you could run a coil of pex through the sump and have that setup as its own zone.

Impetus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heated floors aren't all they're cracked up to be. It would be near impossible to keep a stable temperature relying on that.

I think it would be a solid back up plan in case your heater fails.

A diesel generator? Do you live in a home or a warehouse? Only time I've ever known anyone to use a diesel generator is data centers, hospitals, etc. A bit overkill for a home unless it's 50,000 Sq ft.

But hey, if you're building a home like that, post some pics

Orphek, Radion and other aquarium led cost 4k USD for an aquarium this size.

Diesel generator cost 2k USD.

If I have spend 20k USD on an aquarium Im willing to spend 2k USD or 10% on security.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back