Best Saltwater Aquarium Heater? You choose!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another controller 1800 WATTS! chiller duty!

710u7BPrbpL._SL1500_.jpg

All metal sensors should be dipped in liquid plastic, no rust then

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also use a pair of cobalt neotherms, plugged into my profilux.
for redundancy i have 2 other thermometers in my tank. The current-usa if i am home and if not home my seneye.
If i get a warning from the seneye tank is running hot i turn off the heaters via myGhl.
When i get home i calibrate the profilux.
this has never happened so far, but the thought process behind it.

use the neotherms because of their size.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the topic of controllers, are there any off the shelf PID controllers available?

I'm curious how the BRS will do over time.
I just started using a finex with a Johnson Controls / Penn controller, steady and always at 77 deg. shrink tube and sealed the probe, using a traceable thermometer the controller is right on the money.

20190922_162826.jpg phone pics 529.jpg

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim Jager has been in my tank for 5 years. It's still working great. Best one I've had to date.

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most important and dangerous pieces of equipment to use in your reef is a heater! Get a good one and all is well. Get a bad one and you could kill your tank!

In your experience what is the BEST aquarium heater you have used for your reef to date and why?

WhichHeateristheBest.jpg
New to reefing bought a Finnex digital working ok thoughts?

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used mainly Eheim Jager over the years. Just ordered the 600W BRS Titanium around Black Friday. I'll keep you posted on my thoughts after monitoring. Thinking back, I wish I ordered (2) 300W's instead for redundancy.. But I'm confident based on the build of the heater.

shamrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you had 220 gallons of water, would you choose 2x heater rated at 100g each, or 2x heaters rated at 200g each and set them within 1 degree of each other?

Dixon B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great luck with eheim, specifically the Jager line.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Cobalt NeoTherM I liked the sleek design and the easy LEDs showing the set and current temp... unfortunately as soon as the warranty went out it went crazy and super heated my tank to 94 degrees before noticing and I lost some stuff. Even so I go another from them and they gave 50% off since the other was out of Warranty.

PicassoDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of my older 250 watt Blueline titanium elements stop working a few days ago. It was maybe 5 years old. I don't really understand what can go bad in a heating element, there are no moving parts, no electronics... I really wish some company would make a reliable heater. And no, 5 years is not reliable. 10 years, it's starting to sound reliable. I would happily pay 2x, 3x for such a thing.
So, I'm in the market for a heater...

PicassoDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the BRS titanium heating elements look pretty nice. Look like they're made by Schego, but they're currently out of stock. Not sure why...
Another thread on the topic:

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only need heat a couple weeks of a couple months a year in FL and yet heaters have always been a PIA.

Glass heaters: inaccurate, low power and unreliable. I have a 400w Jager I keep around for backup and to heat water change water. Had another but I think I broke it. Had at least one glass heater break in tank and leech all sorts of nasty stuff. Fortunately no shock. Originally I was going to use a Jager in sump but they are really long especially for the power.

Titanium: Can't even remember all the ones I have been through. Generally they just quit working after maybe a year if that. Had a pair of Coralvue controllers and titanium heaters that eventually went belly up. Still have one controller that works but its always been very inaccurate and no calibration. I've gone through several Finnex tubes and currently using a 800w directly controlled by Apex. I'd prefer a tube connected to a controller connected to Apex for redundancy. Overall I have used 800 and 1000w tubes on my 200g

Pretty sure the 800w Finnex will make it through this season and then it goes on the shelf. Likely going to get one of the new BRS heater/controllers at some point.

Back