Best Saltwater Aquarium Heater? You choose!

Rfields987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqualogic is a prewired Ranco with a waterproof probe. You can do it yourself for considerably cheaper.
I meant the Cygnet Mini heater not the controller

Bamzam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used eheim jagers in tank, but im setting up a new system and want to put the heater in the sump and the Jager is just too long. Any recommendations of a 200+ watt heater thats less than 12"?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Historically used 2 ehiems controlled by apex. We don't care how accurate they are, just that they shut off if the Apex fails to. The ehiem controlling element is a bi-metal 'thermostat', not electronic.
Staggered the Apex heat settings by 0.3 deg F so only 1 heater is switching.
Using the apex as the controller you set an on and off temp, separated by a couple of tenths, so your tank temp sawtooths between the on and off. Crude but simple, like your house thermostat.

6 months ago started to trial a cobat neotherm as the controlling element, with the Apex supervising.
(not pushing the neo-therm (plastic), but the concept)

The neo-therm (and others) use a more advanced algorithm that is not on/off, 0/100%, but 0 to 100%. It tries to find the magic point where it perfectly compensates for the heat losses. It does this by controlling the proportion ( 0 to 100%) of the watts on over a small time frame. So it finds its happy spot, say 59.8% and stays there until the temp changes, then it makes a small adjustment.

The advantage is much smoother long sine wavy temp for the fish.
Do the fish and corals prefer this over a 0.5 deg F sawtooth?
Or is it just the reef-keeper?

Salted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this thread and read the last few pages as I'm in the market for a heater for my 75g. I googled "best heater", "most reliable heater" and can up with a couple top runners; and . I'm leaning towards the fluval. I like the display on the hygger but don't want all those wires hanging around.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this thread and read the last few pages as I'm in the market for a heater for my 75g. I googled "best heater", "most reliable heater" and can up with a couple top runners; and . I'm leaning towards the fluval. I like the display on the hygger but don't want all those wires hanging around.

We have one of those crappy Fluvals and while the digital is cool, When you read the fine print it will only bring your tank up about 7 degrees higher than ambient room temp. So if your room is 60 in the winter your tank will only get to 67
Cheers! Mark

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used eheim jagers in tank, but im setting up a new system and want to put the heater in the sump and the Jager is just too long. Any recommendations of a 200+ watt heater thats less than 12"?
Hygger. Mounts horizontally or vertically and I’ve had a great experience with it. Using Apex to monitor heat so if it malfunctions I can shut off before any damage is done. It’s been great so far and I definitely recommend. Using a 300 watt on my tank now. Fits in my sump horizontally or vertically. Thick, condensed design with protection tube.

Last edited:

Mrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In earlier threads heard some swear by a ranco controller but others said when power goes out it defaults to cooling mode.

anyone know if this is still the case or fixed now?

also is the Aqualogic set to also default to cooling mode if the power goes out?

69cam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 2 Jager 150's going for over 12 years on multiple tanks. :cool:

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This was started a long time ago! I am thinking we need to replace it with a new thread and a POLL that features all the brands. What do y'all think?

Rit6942

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redundant finnex titanium elements that allow you to run an EXTERNAL on/off temp controller of your choosing or an APEX etc. I run a PAIR of em myself. Always run a pair of heaters though.......and stay away from glass units.

Rit6942

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breakable......thats the #1 and biggest reason. Titanium ones dont crack from being banged around or running dry.

Milkman420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s people’s opinions on the jbj true temp. Anyone run these? I’ve been upgrading a lot of stuff recently and the description makes it out to be the go to/best option available

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can not go wrong with the good old Ehiem True Temp. One of the only few with a 3 year warranty and in my personal exp they last longer than that. I am a staunch “replace your heater every year” person with exception of these. Every two years min. With these guys.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back