Best Saltwater Aquarium Heaters for Winter 2020/2021

How satisfied are you with your current heater for winter 20/21?

• Very Satisfied

Votes: 354 61.1%
  • Somewhat Satisfied

Votes: 171 29.5%
  • Not Satsfied

Votes: 28 4.8%
  • Extremely Dissatisfied

Votes: 15 2.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 1.9%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
MOST of us will need a heater soon or have been using one all year. But during the next few months we will need them the most! We've had MANY similar threads about heaters and which ones are best but times change, technology changes and people change their preferences! So let's do it again! Answer the poll to please!

1. What brand of aquarium heater are you using right now and are you happy with it?

2. What brand do you think is the BEST aquarium heater brand?

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhat satisfied... but only due to redundancy and monitoring.

I'm using a Finnex TH model, plugged into a BRS branded Inkbird controller, with _that_ plugged into my Apex. The Finnex doesn't have a thermostat, it's turned on and off by the Inkbird, which uses it's own temp probe. The Apex, using it's own temp probe, will alert me via email should tank temp vary outside my set range, and shut down the Inkbird automatically.

I've got a spare Inkbird (non BRS), and a BRS Titanium tube heater (replacement for one that failed me after about 10 months use), on the shelf, ready to be put in service, should they be needed.

I suppose I feel pretty safe, but only because I have multiple backups in place.

IMHO, there is nobody building what I would consider a reliable heater for the aquarium industry. Just no such thing on the market. Layering redundancy is the only safe way to go.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BRS heater controller plugged into my Apex running the BRS titanium heaters. I have 3 spare heaters and a back up InkBird WiFi controller. I live in an extreme winter area, -47 is rather common. I replaced all of the house thermostats to digital ones and am getting ready to seal the windows with heat shrink, it is really drafty as well.

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I oversized my heater and put it right next to a power head, which has been marvellous. there is less than 1 degree F difference from one side of the tank to the other (thermostat set to 81.5, the thermometer on the opposite side reads 81-82. NGL, wish I'd picked one that looked a little less... dated. but in reality, appearance isn't everything

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finnex heater without thermostat. Plugged into an aqualogic controller and that plugged into an apex. Been using the heater about 3 years now and the aqualogic about 10. I have a spare finnex on the shelf to replace this one when it dies.

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running the BRS heater which was actually a downgrade from the Hygger heater I had in the last tank.

I would really like and IDK we don't have a temp controller that can just vary the voltage to it instead of an on off cycle.

It is weird there is so little effort put into heaters by the manufacturers when they are the number one tank killers.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I proactively replace heaters every couple of years and am running Inkbird controllers on my key tanks. I also support the concept of multiple lower watt heaters per tank. While I am somewhat satisfied with my heaters, I haven't seen anything to show that one specific brand of heater is world class (there is certainly some to avoid). IMO this is a gap in the industry as a whole that need to be filled. Additionally, I am curious if anyone has found a quality heater for small nano tanks?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say Rev, you must have ESP (ESPN per Homer Simpson)

Heaters seem to be my bain/nightmare/project lately. And todays question came perfectly timed.

I have Finnex & Eheim heaters & have had decent luck w/them connected to my Apex. I purchased 2 Inkbird 306As for redundancy & thats where trial & tribulation came in. No matter how many times I calibrate the inkbirds they waiver out by almost a degree. So I set the Apex at low 78 high 79 and Inkbirds higher and lower and everything is pretty consistent.

Here's where "mad scientist" comes in. While buying frags from local reefer I notice "NO HEATERS". Turns out he's using waterbed heaters under his sumps & has for years - controlled off of his Apex. So I'm currently testing a 300w waterbed heater under my 120s sump and so far it's do-able. It draws less amps but takes longer to reach max temp settings... To be continued....

reef_ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two 100w Eheim Jager heaters. I've ran this brand a couple years ago, and was pleased then, which is why I chose them for this build. But Im not impressed now. After six months of use, these all of a sudden run 10 degrees off (I have to run them at 89 degrees to attain 78 degrees). And this is after calibration, verification via two separate thermometers, and independently checking my controller. Customer service with them is also very slow. Maybe they changed hands over the last few years?

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MOST of us will need a heater soon or have been using one all year. But during the next few months we will need them the most! We've had MANY similar threads about heaters and which ones are best but times change, technology changes and people change their preferences! So let's do it again! Answer the poll to please!

1. What brand of aquarium heater are you using right now and are you happy with it?

Untitled-1 copy.jpg
I use a 600 watt BRS titanium heater controlled by an Apex. I have two on-shelf spares and an on-shelf spare Inkbird controller. I swap out my main heater annually as preventative maintenance.

Clownshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using a Fluval M series 200watt heater in my tank.
I personaly will probably never buy any other brand since this heater has been super reliable for me. I used to use it in my freshwater tanks, and continued to use it when I moved on to my saltwater tank. I also like the fact that its made in Italy which probably has to do with its quality.q

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 Jagers on each of my three tanks. The two oldest have been running since 2012, the next two since 2013 and the last two just added to a new build 5 months ago. All heaters are controlled by Apex with alerts set up if temp gets out of my desired range. So far no heater failures (knock on wood).

Marine Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Untitled-1 copy.jpg
BulkReefSupply Titanium Heater is by far the best aquarium heater out there and it has a 3-year warranty. Although you are gonna need to buy the ink bird controller with it. It gets my vote at any time!

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use cheapo Tetra heaters for 2 years now and no failures yet. Yes I am happy with it.
No clue.

Back