Best saltwater fish stores in the Toronto area

Jsquarz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be going down to Toronto and wanted to know some go to saltwater stores well I’m down there.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The standard answer these days would be Fragbox.

The old classic was NAFB but I have no idea the state of things there now.

Toronto's kinda big lol. Maybe if you are more specific about where you are going to be, someone will have suggestions.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Candy Corals in Mississauga (on Dixie Rd). Aquarium Depot is just north of Candy Corals. Fragbox which was mentioned.

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragbox for corals for sure, unfortunately they do not have a great fish selection most of the time, but their corals are amazing

Candy corals is also a good option if you are in the Mississauga area, personally they are a bit far from me so.
but they have decent coral and fish selections

And IIRC aquarium depot does not sell livestock, not in the Mississauga store anyways, but they have quite a bit of dry goods are are very helpful.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragbox for corals for sure, unfortunately they do not have a great fish selection most of the time, but their corals are amazing

Candy corals is also a good option if you are in the Mississauga area, personally they are a bit far from me so.
but they have decent coral and fish selections

And IIRC aquarium depot does not sell livestock, not in the Mississauga store anyways, but they have quite a bit of dry goods are are very helpful.
Are you referring to the Aquarium Depot on Britannia Rd, Mississauga that doesn't sell livestock? I see on their website they do. Their Scarborough location on Midland doesn't. I know that because I was going to be driving by that location a couple months ago so called them. They told me go to Mississauga as that would be the closest to me living in Toronto.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to the Aquarium Depot on Britannia Rd, Mississauga that doesn't sell livestock? I see on their website they do. Their Scarborough location on Midland doesn't. I know that because I was going to be driving by that location a couple months ago so called them. They told me go to Mississauga as that would be the closest to me living in Toronto.
Mississauga had one frag system last time I was there. Whitby has two frag systems probably mostly because Kris from Reef Addiction runs that store and seriously knows his stuff.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mississauga had one frag system last time I was there. Whitby has two frag systems probably mostly because Kris from Reef Addiction runs that store and seriously knows his stuff.
I will have to call. They said fish (and coral) the last time I called and their website says fish. You can see which location has each fish in stock and they show Mississauga. I was planning on going up there next week for fish.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last I was there, tons of dry goods, everything I could ask for, had a rack type aquarium setup with a few fish, seem to go quickly and 1 frag tank.

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do have 1 system, but I asked the owner and he said they were not selling any livestock.

Their website does have livestock listed, and he never mentioned anything about other stores, so I don't know about the other stores.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do have 1 system, but I asked the owner and he said they were not selling any livestock.

Their website does have livestock listed, and he never mentioned anything about other stores, so I don't know about the other stores.
I will call. If you go into an individual fish it shows each location that has them in stock and Mississauga is listed. I will have to confirm. I don't want to drive up there only to find there are no fish. LOL. Scarborough for sure is just hardware/dry goods.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I prefer Candy corals. Fragbox is more expensive, and the location and parking situation is horrible.

But to be honest, the best is to google around for prices if you want something, the prices can be wildly different from store to store. Even Big Als has huge price differences in fish, I drove all the way to Big Als Richmond Hill for my yellow watchman because it was $25 there compared to $50 at Big Als mississauga.

Reefsupplies.ca is really good for dry products, huge variety that you cant find at a lot of LFS's, and cheaper than a lot of LFS's.

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I prefer Candy corals. Fragbox is more expensive, and the location and parking situation is horrible.

But to be honest, the best is to google around for prices if you want something, the prices can be wildly different from store to store. Even Big Als has huge price differences in fish, I drove all the way to Big Als Richmond Hill for my yellow watchman because it was $25 there compared to $50 at Big Als mississauga.

Reefsupplies.ca is really good for dry products, huge variety that you cant find at a lot of LFS's, and cheaper than a lot of LFS's.
Well yes it does depend on where you live, the parking situation at fragbox is not great I will agree, but fragbox is way closer to me than candy corals, so I'd rather go there.

Ignoring the location, I think fragbox and candy corals are both pretty equally good, candy does have a better fish selection though

I personally would never buy anything from big als again, they do have stuff cheap, but their fish aren't so healthy and their coral systems, I've gotten aiptasia and lot's of other pests from them,

Back