Best sand sifting fish? Orange Crosshatch Goby, Tiger Watchmen Goby, Orange Spotted Goby or other?

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a good sand sifting fish that won't cause a windstorm in my 32g tank. From research, the Orange Crosshatch Goby, Tiger Watchmen Goby and the Orange Spotted Goby seem to be the best choices for my size tank. Please chime in and let me know if you prefer either of these over the other or have a better option for a sand sifting fish. Feel free to share any pros and cons as well to owning these fish or any other fish you recommend.

jmad147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a good sand sifting fish that won't cause a windstorm in my 32g tank. From research, the Orange Crosshatch Goby, Tiger Watchmen Goby and the Orange Spotted Goby seem to be the best choices for my size tank. Please chime in and let me know if you prefer either of these over the other or have a better option for a sand sifting fish. Feel free to share any pros and cons as well to owning these fish or any other fish you recommend.
I just picked up a Orange Spotted Goby for my biocube a month ago. I had cloudy water for a good week. I had to replace my filter floss daily. Now my water is crystal clear and my sand is white again.
I had never really vacuumed my sand so it was definitely my fault on why it stayed cloudy for so long.

Last edited:

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want less of a mess check out the sleeper blue dot, the “bullet goby” aka sleeper banded goby, or the orange crosshatch goby. They all tend to release the sand out of their gills very close to the bottom of the tank compared to other “sleeper” gobies in my experience. Though they are all some what of a risk as every specimen is different.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a Orange Spotted Goby for my biocube a month ago. I had cloudy water for a good week. I had to replace my filter floss daily. Now my water is crystal clear and my sand is white again.
I had never really vacuumed my sand so it was definitely my fault on why it stayed cloudy for so long.
What did you do to prevent the cloudy water? Is your goby doing a good job sand sifting?

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want less of a mess check out the sleeper blue dot, the “bullet goby” aka sleeper banded goby, or the orange crosshatch goby. They all tend to release the sand out of their gills very close to the bottom of the tank compared to other “sleeper” gobies in my experience. Though they are all some what of a risk as every specimen is different.
Do you have a preference for your own tank?

jmad147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do to prevent the cloudy water? Is your goby doing a good job sand sifting?
I had never really cleaned the sand so it was my own fault. He came in and a weeks span he had sifted every bit of sand. Excellent sifter. Now when he sifts it doesn't make a cloud storm.

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a preference for your own tank?
I have a sleeper blue dot goby, but he’s in a 4ft tank. If I had your tank size I would probably shoot for the Orange Crosshatch.

Just like others have mentioned, they will create cloudy water for a few days until your skimmer and filter socks pull out all the crap. Then it really settles in nicely. Avoid the Diamond Watchman and Gold Head Sleeper (among many others Valenciennea) as they really tend to bury corals and release the sand from up high in the tank. The sleeper blue dot is the only one from that genus in my experience that isn’t quite as messy.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sleeper blue dot goby, but he’s in a 4ft tank. If I had your tank size I would probably shoot for the Orange Crosshatch.

Just like others have mentioned, they will create cloudy water for a few days until your skimmer and filter socks pull out all the crap. Then it really settles in nicely. Avoid the Diamond Watchman and Gold Head Sleeper (among many others Valenciennea) as they really tend to bury corals and release the sand from up high in the tank. The sleeper blue dot is the only one from that genus in my experience that isn’t quite as messy.
I think I’m sold now!

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Of course once I want something it would be sold out across the whole internet. Sheesh! I’m sold on the orange crosshatch now.

Last edited:

View Badges
I have a tiger conch but he’s in the sand a lot and not a lot of movement across the top of the sand.

I might have a tiger conch. I have two of one of these:

Strombus gibberulus
Strombus luhuanus
Strombus sinatus
Strombus urceus

one of those is a tiger conch. When they’re under the sand they should be cleaning the surface by sending out their… elephant parts, and eating it.

Mine will actually climb the rockwork. I got them from reef cleaners.

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conch > any fish
Disagree. They help, but you would need a serious army to make a dent compared to one goby. Though they make absolutely no mess so I’ll give you that! I have two tiger conches in addition to the goby and I have sparkling white sand. Not the case before the goby with only conches.

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course once I want something it would be sold out across the whole internet. Sheesh! I’m sold on the orange crosshatch now.
Biota Link’s Goby might be another good alternative. Though they seem to be sold out as well.

View Badges
Disagree. They help, but you would need a serious army to make a dent compared to one goby. Though they make absolutely no mess so I’ll give you that! I have two tiger conches in addition to the goby and I have sparkling white sand. Not the case before the goby with only conches.

that’s cool. Mine doesn’t sparkle. It’s just clean.

I have two gobie’s too, but they’re not the sand messing type. They mostly eat GHA and pods. One lives in a rock, the other lives between some hammers.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I read jaax's feelings Diamondback jokes but I had a complete opposite experience with mine. It kept my substrate spotless. The gravel would just dribble from his gills, so it probably has more to do with the texture of your substrate rather than the goby itself. At least that would be my impression.

He did have several homes at different places under the rock work. He tended to mound up the substrate just a bit, outside his front doors.

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I read jaax's feelings Diamondback jokes but I had a complete opposite experience with mine. It kept my substrate spotless. The gravel would just dribble from his gills, so it probably has more to do with the texture of your substrate rather than the goby itself. At least that would be my impression.

He did have several homes at different places under the rock work. He tended to mound up the substrate just a bit, outside his front doors.

I have no doubt. I think there are no black and white rules with fish behavior, so experiences always vary from fish to fish. I use a more heavy grade sand (Tropic Eden Mesoflakes), so I don’t know how that would impact my experience. I would certainly believe there are cleaner diamond gobies out there, just like there are messy sleeper banded or sleeper blue dot gobies!

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 3 types of gobies. All three started active but eventually settled on their small piece of the turf then stopped cleaning the whole sand. They do keep their small piece of the turf clean tho.

My conch on the other hand roams the entire sandbed

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 3 types of gobies. All three started active but eventually settled on their small piece of the turf then stopped cleaning the whole sand. They do keep their small piece of the turf clean tho.

My conch on the other hand roams the entire sandbed
Interesting. I find they (at least Valenciennea Gobies) settle into a couple homes under the rocks, but roam the whole tank sifting for food during the day.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back