Best Sand sifting goby, opnions please!!

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have had a dragon goby and a yellow headed goby, I was told that the dragon sleeper was the best at sifting. He stunk at it. the yellow headed was ok. I am wanting to knwo which you guys think is the best. Also post pics if you guys have them. Thanks!

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned an Orange Diamond head goby that was amazing at sifting....he made a mess but my sand was spotless!

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are you looking to put him in, IME the sand sifting gobies need large tanks with mature sandbeds.

OP
OP
Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are the orange spotted ones bad about jumping? I dont have a top on my tank, do i need to thnk about making one??

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would, especially when spooked they run for the hills, or in our case jump to the carpet :)

twinspots_goby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend a twinspots_goby. But again it needs a matured tank with full of sand in order to keep one successfully in a long term.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping as I was wondering the same. Could someone please define larger aquarium? Would a 45 be big enough? What about a pink spot goby for sifting?
Thanks!

OP
OP
Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they jump just as in like the first couple of weeks? Like the wrasses? I have heard that if you can keep a wrasse for a couple weeks they wont jump after that, are goby's the same way?

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, there is no time limit on the jumping thing. The orange spotted is great at sandsifting, but in a 65gal with 6" sandbed, it was starving in a matter of months. They are great for a larger tank (say a 6' one with a mature DSB). For the smaller tanks, I recommend the yellow shrimp goby (aka yellow watchman goby). They will perform a similar service, but not on the scale of the diamond. Also nascarious (sp) snails are an excellent option; as they clean without destroying the microfauna, like the gobies do.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, there is no time limit on the jumping thing. The orange spotted is great at sandsifting, but in a 65gal with 6" sandbed, it was starving in a matter of months. They are great for a larger tank (say a 6' one with a mature DSB). For the smaller tanks, I recommend the yellow shrimp goby (aka yellow watchman goby). They will perform a similar service, but not on the scale of the diamond. Also nascarious (sp) snails are an excellent option; as they clean without destroying the microfauna, like the gobies do.

Good idea...Nass snails are another good option to a sand sifting goby! Plus they are cleaner LOL

OP
OP
Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple nass snails, but mine only seem to come out when I feed the tank. Are they supposed to come out more often? What are you thoughts on a fighting conch? i have heard these work good as well.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty much what nassarius do, considering I feed a few times a day that means they go up and down in the sand a few times a day. Keeps my sandbed pretty well stirred. I think a fighting conch would be a much better fit over a sand sifting goby.

OP
OP
Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I will look into finding a fighting conch, I have never seen one at the LFS, and rarely online. Maybe Liveaquaria will have one......

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the orange diamond, but my favorite is the golden head sleep goby, he swims around and then dives down to get a mouth full sand and sifts as he swims around.

OP
OP
Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an awesome goby, I have never heard of it before. Great coloration too almost like a melarnus wrasse. Any idea where I could find one? Are they readily available because like I said, I have never even heard of them.......

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty easy to find and almost always available online. There is another version of that goby which isn't as colorful but behaves the same as the Rainfordi's

Hector Goby:
p-71237-hectors.jpg

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Hector's Goby

Rainfordi Goby aka Court Jester Goby
p-71458-court-jester-goby.jpg

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Court Jester Goby

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back